don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    She's pretty slow in Sonic CD.

2. Pengi

Pengi

In Sonic R, Amy needed a car to compete. (And she was still slower than the others.)

3. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

She only has like four animations in that game. I don't think that's a reason to say she's too slow to be a playable character.

Eh. Can't really argue with this one, but that game doesn't seem super important to the canon.
    I still think in a new Retro Engine game Amy could be playable and as fast as the other characters.

4. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Interestingly enough, according to Ian Flynn, Sega said considered Sonic R canon when he asked to adapt it in the comics.

5. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    If we're getting back into the Amy discussion, I think she might actually work as a Gadget character. She already uses a hammer so there might be some gameplay potential. At the very least, we could explain her speed away with some speed sneakers like the ones mentioned in Sonic 1's manual.

6. Okay, I have to know...

I beat the game and got a CLEAR save slot. (Sonic & Tails) I then used the level select to start at Green Hill again in the same slot, to look for Chaos Emeralds. I got back to Chemical Plant Zone again. Does the fact that I was revisiting in a CLEAR save file affect the Puyo Puyo difficulty?

You know how you can get a chain and drop three or four full rows of Puyos on the other player's field? Eggman did that to me TWICE in the same match, in a matter of seconds!

7. Retroman

Retroman

Totally agree!

Her jump length is also limited, the only thing that gives her that distance is the hammer jump, which should have been used when running.

Not sure if these mechanics are in the Sonic Advance games, but a good idea to compensate for the speed is to make the hammer more useful and aid Amy more in speed and gameplay which would making her gameplay a mix of platforming, fighting and speed.

Idea 1: Pico-Spin:
    She charges her hammer (max 5 seconds), hits any enemies, item boxes, level terrain and walls, and it will send her to a propellor-style momentum spin with the hammer which will hurt enemies like Sonic's roll move.
    The longer she charges it, the more momentum you get. Can knock enemies to other enemies.

Idea 2: Pico-Anchor:
    An anchor move where she throws the hammer with a bungie rope attached to climb up ledges, propel her up or swing through a hidden section of the wall (Like Green Hill Zone/Emerald Hill Zone).

Idea 3: Pico-Swat:
    Replaces jump. The ability to hit enemies underneath with a much further reach and get a height boost with each chain combo, making Amy more suitable for hitting airborne enemies. Can knock enemies to other enemies.

Idea 4: Pico-Stomp:
    When airborne, she can do a vertical stomp that sends a small scale shockwave, killing any enemies. Same function as Sonic Unleashed Sonic.

Idea 5: Pico-Typhoon:
    Like the Pico-Spin, but creates a whirlwind underwater which can propel her up high and also suck in enemies close by.

For swimming, make Amy a swimmer which will set her apart from Sonic since she has shortened quills and is lighter.

8. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    Found this amazing tweet of 1 guy making amazing 3d model of Sonic mania like Sonic. Sorry if it is wrong topic. Would be epic to see such model as figurine and such.

https://twitter.com/Tomothy_S/status/904460904804347904

I also have played Sonic mania 26 hours now :D. The more I play it the more I love it!

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Nnnnope! :specialed:

10. I think that we can add in another entry on the list of enemies bad-ass enough to hurt Super Sonic, although this one I don't think was intentional: Chemical Plant Zone - Act 1 Boss.

Unlocked Super Sonic and figured I'd celebrate by playing through from Green Hill Zone, just curb-stomping everything with SS at the first chance I got. Was delightfully over-powered up until the boss at Chemical Plant. I just kept on hitting it with no regard as to what it was doing. Got the final hit in while it was still surrounded by goo, before it formed it into balls. Sonic de-powered, since the boss was technically defeated, but was inside the barrier of goo, meaning that he INSTANTLY lost all of his Rings on the exact frame that he de-powered, making it look as though Super Sonic actually took the hit hard enough to get all of his Rings knocked out at once and revert back to normal.

I can tell you, I was not expecting such a display of awesome-ness coming from that particular boss.

11. DevCon

DevCon

My review of Sonic Mania:

[​IMG]

12. So using the .ogg files I extracted from the game, I made a version of the soundtrack that can be looped seamlessly. Each track that loops has been split into (1), (2) and (3), where:
    (1) - the intro to the track that isn't part of the loop
    (2) - the main body of the track that loops
    (3) - the first ten seconds of the main body with a fade-out
    Thus by playing each track in order, you get a normal playlist that transitions neatly from one piece to the next. On the other hand, with foobar2000's "playback follows cursor" setting, I can double-click (1) and then single-click (2) while the player is set to "repeat track", and the chosen song will loop seamlessly until I get bored of it

I'm not really sure about the legality of sharing this. I'm pretty sure this kind of modification and personal use of game files is allowed since I own the game (twice) and the .ogg files are just sitting there in the game data unencrypted, but obviously very few people are going to be willing to spend a couple of hours sorting out each track like I did. I guess for anyone interested (unless a mod shoots me down for this), PM me with some kind of verification that you own the game and I'll provide you a link?

13. MartiusR

MartiusR

Just a little request - if anyone has account on GOG, please vote on Sonic Mania in Community Wishlist:

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/sonic_mania

There is not too much votes at this moment, but currently Mania is quite high on list "Most voted this week", so it would be great if it'll stay there as long as possible :)

(If you don't have account there, I highly recommend to create it - it's free and there are even some nice freebies to obtain at any time, such as Tyrian 2000, Shadow Warrior (Classic version) or Beneath the Steel Sky).

14. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I really wish the devs could erase the false times on Time Attack Mode. Certain levels, like Green Hill and Studiopolis, are ruined by the blatantly false times.

15. The deeper issue is the ability to post fake times within the realm of possibility. If you can set your record to be absolutely anything, nothing prevents you from setting it to be just a few centiseconds ahead of the legitimate record, and no-one can verify whether it's true or false. At least the total bullshit times can be safely ignored.

16. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
  17. Okay, rant time:
    What the actual hell is wrong with this game's PC port. I'm on a fucking i7-7700HQ (albeit laptop) and playing at 3x windowed maxes out a core a lot of the time, making the fan spin much louder than any other 2D platformer I play (some of which have much, much higher requirements than Mania). It's even worse in fullscreen. Today it started dropping frames significantly when I was trying time attack on TMZ1 while watching YouTube videos at 360p. Granted, I have way too many tabs open, but this never happens with other games and video + windowed game is how I spend almost all my free time. On top of that, it sits on 16-18% CPU usage when it's running but unfocused, which is when the application is paused. And in-game, sometimes the CPU usage will halve for a little while, for no apparent reason.

This is the same engine and same programmers as Sonic CD '11, which I've put dozens of hours into on this laptop and my older laptop. It didn't have anywhere near this CPU usage or any performance issues. What the HELL? I've already complained to Sega about this once, but I think I need to do it again because if it's going to start dropping more than half its frames on a fucking i7-7700HQ then we have a serious problem.

Unrelatedly, now that I've spent at least a little time on each level as Sonic, here are my current records:
    GHZ1: 00'33"24, GHZ2: 00'35"35
    CPZ1: 00'45"82, CPZ2: 01'45"44
    SPZ1: 00'55"32, SPZ2: 01'29"00
    FBZ1: 01'42"99, FBZ2: 02'39"37
    PGZ1: 01'47"52, PGZ2: 01'06"24
    SSZ1: 01'36"25, SSZ2: 00'46"82
    HCZ1: 02'02"07, HCZ2: 02'24"30
    MSZ1: --'--"--, MSZ2: 00'51"70
    OOZ1: 01'18"55, OOZ2: 01'39"65
    LRZ1: 02'18"97, LRZ2: 02'13"44
    MMZ1: 01'34"09, MMZ2: 01'49"42
    TMZ1: 02'27"42, TMZ2: 03'51"47 (console runs don't count on TMZ2)

18. Miles3298

Miles3298

I've never quite understood the point of global leaderboards, since the whole cheesing and cheating thing is to be expected day zero. Honestly I'd prefer having only a built-in "compete with friends" feature by itself, with the ability to erase a time if you accidentally (or "accidentally", whichever) cheesed one. But that can be done by just chatting with your buddy friends anyway, so, whatever I do reckon.

Couple of bug reports in video form:

(This one's a bit spoiley? if that matters to anyone in here) - I got insta-squished trying to use a decidedly non-squishy gimmick:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLqpxQ-BzZY

Basically: Got into gun thing. Instantly died to death. Had just come from star post bonus stage. Didn't happen again.
    (here's a link to the above if spoiler tags are misbehaving for you)

And here's a recording of a Blue Spheres stage where I get the miscount bug:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qCkd43D8SU
    (again, here's a link to the above if spoiler tags are misbehaving for you)

No clue where it went off-count, but it definitely did, as you can see right at the end of it. Please excuse my sloppy playing.

19. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    Psshhhhh, baby stuff.

[​IMG]

20. Sonic CD on Steam has that. That seems like a pretty glaring oversight for Mania. I really wish Mania had a "total time" for each character too, that was something I loved in CD.

Looks like it's these things that's causing it:

[​IMG]

When you hit that next blue sphere and the group turns into rings, the counter decreases by six instead of five. It doesn't happen on the second, third or fourth ones, so it looks like it's related to the blue sphere you hit last, only triggering if the last one you hit is part of the middle 'ring' of eight.