don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    What would be the proper way? I don't think that STOP USING DRM is going to work well for us...

I'm going to try my best at english speeches explaining my disappointment on being unable to play offline because of the DRM :(

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Perhaps use a less restrictive DRM? Surely they exist.

3. Impish

Impish

I said I can't play Mania on my laptop when I'm away from internet connections. This is problematic because of internet connections being so shoddy where I live, so I am unable to play the game that I paid for.

I mean, I'm fine with Digital Distribution, but Valve was supposed to guarantee that all of your Steam purchases would be downloadable for safekeeping if they ever went bust and had to take down Steam. This ain't exactly reassuring towards that guarantee of compromise.

EDIT: I'm seeing this on twitter so I wonder; the DRM isn't the cause for the delay is it? Please don't tell me that's the case.

4. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Yeah, I also used the argument of playing on the road. I really hope these requests make a difference.

re delay: We were sure it wasn't, but with these things in mind (and considering Taxman complete silence about it, and his tweet), the delay, or part of it, may be caused by the DRM.

5. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Just as important is that Taxman himself retweeted those tweets.

God dammit Sega. You don't deserve the Mania boys.

6. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Is this so? How do you know?

FFS I completely expected Sega to tie the two games together. Would it be so awful to just have 2 separate branches of the series, like Mario... Doesn't Sega understand that a large and loud body of fans want to love Sonic, but view the modern games as a cancer? How long is modern Sonic and classic Sonic going to be duct taped together? It's fucking nonsense, it's right up there with Buick ads saying, "this is a Buick?". Anyone with half a brain can see it's a paradoxical crutch.

Starting to think we only got Mania so that Sega wouldn't look so stupid relying on classic Sonic to push the fraught modern series. I can see Sega, "people really like how Sonic used to be... so to make modern Sonic more successful we should stick classic Sonic in the game, and then to prevent us from looking so stupid we can just keep coming up with new reasons to include classic Sonic and eventually people will be so confused they will start to think they actually like modern Sonic, and then we can just keep making awful games and learn nothing!", "John-san, give that man a raise".

Gee whiz, the two biggest complaints Mania has received have been a) too many reused zones, and, b) disconnected story. See what you do Sega? "This is why we can't have nice things". Mania is a resounding success in spite of Sega, I think most of us can agree on that... But they are going to cheapen the experience if they drag Classic Sonic into this fucking quagmire of theirs.

I hope Forces and Mania don't actually share a story, and this is just speculation. :argh:

7. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    This is better than 3&K

This is better than 3&K

THIS IS BETTER THAN 3&K

THIS IS BETTER THAN 3&K

:psyduck:

8. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Add Stealth to the list. Man, this is plain obvious. I feel sorry of the Mania Team, it didn't have to be like fucking this.

9. Jelq God

Jelq God

From memory (spoilered for anyone who still cares):

• The BWUBWUBWUB sound when the ruby emerald is activated is 100% identical to the BWUBWUBWUBWUB sound Infinite the Edgehog makes when he uses his powers in one of the Forces trailers
    • The Super Sonic boss fight theme has a riff from Fist Bump, Sonic Forces' theme song
    • Mania's ending cutscene has Sonic jettisoned into a wormhole with no explanation, ending with him pulling the same pose as when he appears in the first Forces teaser

I really hate everything about it but it's all but confirmed at this point.

10. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Played the PC version up to the end of the third zone, got all the emeralds, and while it's no HUGE deal, I'm really not a fan of some of the interface changes. There's now a very brief "loading screen" of Sonic spinning in the lower-right corner during transitions. What's even more annoying, though, is that when you can activate Super Sonic, a permanently-onscreen graphic in the upper-right corner appears IN CASE YOU DON'T KNOW what button to hit. I appreciate that stuff like this is part of the accepted standards of modern gaming, and in fact that many console manufactures require you to use loading screens and the like. But it breaks a bit of the immersion that this is an old-school Sonic game that just happened to be released in 2017. I'm sure there'll be PC mods to disable this stuff, but I'm going to be a little disappointed when it comes to consoles for this reason.

(Also, you bastards fixed the collision that everyone was using to cheese over the middle of Studiopolis 1! How am I supposed to speedrun like this!? :P)

11. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Good luck with that. I don't even have access to a CD reader anymore lol.

12. So, if you right-click Sonic Mania and click "View player manual", you'll be taken to an online PDF of the manual. Not sure if I should link it, since it's technically part of the purchase.

On the DRM, that really sucks. Was hoping that it would be completely DRM-free, but looks like it ended up quite the opposite. Here's to hoping that Sega listens and removes the DRM. Mania is absolutely amazing, and it deserves far better than this.

13. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    go into steam, then settings, then controller settings, then check "enable generic gamepad support." It'll ask you to define the gamepad in relation to an Xbox 360 pad (or maybe it'll find the definition I uploaded if you're lucky). After that, your gamepad will work.

14. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Isn't that just the autosave icon? You know the one the game tells you about every time you start up the game?

I guess some people are just never done complaining.

15. Got to Press Garden, the game's pretty cool so far! Gotta stop for a while now.

I'm kinda worried about this DRM crap now... What exactly are the downsides of this specific type of DRM, besides preventing mods and offline play?

16. http://steamcommunity.com/app/584400/allnews/ Well guys that's it. That took long!

17. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    ...I said it wasn't a big deal.

Also, the lack of a dedicated Super Sonic button didn't bother me in the first place, and I never once complained about it. More specifically, I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever complained about ANYTHING to do with Mania.

18. Quoting the announcement:

19. Android7

Android7

Hey, everyone!

So I'm sure you're all enjoying Sonic Mania, except some of you might have come across a problem - if you have an unsupported controller on the PC, it won't work with the game and you'll have to use a keyboard, which doesn't work particularly well, at least in my opinion. I normally use a USB SNES controller, and so I came across this problem myself. I encountered a similar problem with Sonic Generations for the PC, where I was trying to use a USB adapter for a Gamecube controller to play the game, but it didn't work. There is a solution, however.

There is a program called 'JoyToKey' which you can use to map buttons of your controller to keys of your keyboard, which you have mapped to the game. It can be downloaded here - it's free, or at least it is for a certain amount of time. I'm not the creator of this program, I'm just trying to help out those who are in the same situation as I was when it comes to playing Sonic Mania on PC with an unsupported controller, and didn't know any workarounds. I'm pretty sure this is where I downloaded it from before, but if you don't trust it then I'm pretty sure there are other places to download it from.

As of writing this post, Sega just made an announcement on Steam regarding DRM, however they also mentioned controller support, which appears to indicate that there will eventually be support for most controllers. After all, the Steam version of Sonic CD supported controllers, including mine, so Sonic Mania should as well.

Hope this helped, see you later!

20. MartiusR

MartiusR

Phew, that's a good news. Although it would be much better if they could simply remove this parasite DRM. Good thing that many people have reacted (I've also written mail to Sega regarding "no-offline" issue).