don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I think the biggest issue with the transitions as-is comes from the inconsistency of it. It would be one thing if they just didn't have transitions, but having them sometimes just doesn't feel right.

2. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I finally got game over'd in Titanic Monarch Zone. I think I need to take a break.

Also, I suck at the special stages. If there's a Super Sonic fight I'm gonna be at this game for awhile. :psyduck:

3. Xilla

Xilla

Still think it needed a recreation of the noughts and crosses centre picture with Tails Doll instead of the clown ;)

4. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I've heard that Polygon's Arthur Gies shit the bed with their review, making claims when they don't know shit. Turns out it's true.

Maybe I'm misreading this with his poor choice of words but I can't help but think that he thinks the original Sonic 1 doesn't have continues. Maybe Arthur Gies is so shit at Sonic that he's never got a continue in his life before.

5. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Dunno if anyone confirmed this yet but:

Super Tails is a thing, just like the iOS ports.

6. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    So it said I unlocked Sonic's Instashield, & Knuckles Mode, and Debug mode. But how do I actually use them?

7. RikohZX

RikohZX

Go to a No-Save game and hit the Secrets prompt tied to a button in the bottom-right.

8. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Select No Save mode. Press Y (Switch), X (Xbox One) or ? (PS4) to access the secrets menu.

Does debug come with a level select? I would love to play the whole game with the insta-shield, but I'm not likely to manage it all in one sitting, so level select is pretty much a requirement if I can't save.

Edit: Ninja'd, but my question stands.

9. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    No level select, but you can literally spawn a goal post whenever you want and it'll skip to the next level.

10. RikohZX

RikohZX

We have like, several buttons for jumping, extra buttons on all consoles and so forth, so I don't see why they had to force the extra abilities into individual movesets ontop of No Save-only. Hell, the only real clash they can have is the Drop Dash and Insta-Shield, and that already has a solution since the Drop Dash takes a second to charge by holding down the button; precision play can easily alternate between the two techniques without consequence, in theory. I can understand if it'd make Sonic have too many abilities at once in comparison to Tails and Knuckles, but the Elemental Shields already strip away jump techs and he's still inefficient exploration-wise compared to the other two, so forcing "normal" saves to have to be restricted to solely the Drop Dash, which really feels more like a speedrunning extra function than a readily-usable ability for normal play, just seems like a pointless restriction.

11. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    starting my live stream up again: https://www.twitch.tv/krejlooc

12. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    So on the PS4 version, I tried to run through CPZ2 in Time Attack, and somehow broke the Carnival Night-esque spin tube near the start of the level and got stuck.
    Also somehow broke the music in SSZ2 before the boss, and it stayed muted till the next level. Didn't even get the level clear jingle at the end.

Speaking of music, am I the only one who thinks the music doesn't fit 100% of the time? It's really good, don't get me wrong. I just feel that it's...too upbeat at times. Yeah, Tee Lopes did a good job, but that brass gets old really quick, and makes the tracks sound kind of samey.

13. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Played through the game (haven't got all emeralds yet, well played guys, these are hard as hell).

This is a nostalgia laden work of art, love the music, FMVs and especially the enhanced 'old school cartoon style' of the sprite work, oh and it plays pretty damn good too. Its probably the most clearest case of me feeling adrenaline and challenge in a 'classic style' Sonic game since the Megadrive games too, having played the originals since they were released, I thought I would get kind of tired of playing this after a short while, especially with the reused levels. I was wrong.

Only major gripes are the lack of new levels, I'd sacrifice one or two old ones for even just one new one, granted since most of them have loads of new gimmicks and setups to make them practically new anyway, it's doesn't give me that much fatigue.

Also the aforementioned problem that the unlock able bonus options are limited to no-save, not even Time Attack or Competition Mode have the other gameplay modes for Sonic, which is a shame because they're awesome bonuses and practically like having double the character modes with the 'And Knuckles' co op mode added on.

Did fall victim to ONE bug so far though. When I finished Studiopolis Act 1 as Tails in Time Attack, I died after leaving the screen and started over. :P

14. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Restricting debug mode and the other abilities to no save is stupid, hopefully it gets patched.

15. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Abilities on no save are a bit silly, yes, but debug should absoutely be no-save only. Maybe it'd be okay on a complete file with all emeralds, but besides that, no.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So has anyone figured out if there are any cheat codes in the game via D.A. Garden? I keep trying different things to see if they work but I haven't gotten anything yet.

Also I beat the game with all emeralds as Sonic/Tails and as Knuckles now and got gold medallions for all the blue spheres stages. I think I'm good for now :specialed: But lovely, lovely game. Great work Mania team, this may just be my favorite Sonic game now. I'm sure I'll be coming back to this for years to come.

17. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Most annoying thing to me is this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Colour changes to grey mid-level at random

These images are taken from a stream I'm watching right now, it happened to me and on every stream I've watched.

Yeah, like, its nothing, but I get ticked off about bugs like this so much. Stay purple dammit!

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Maybe my eyes are tired but I don't see what you're talking about, looks fine to me.

Also, on another note, might I add that these levels are just soooo huge. I'm going to be finding secrets in them forever. And really the only gripes I have are minor. There's no level select for the bonus features and the blue spheres stages really offer no incentive to go back into them once you've collected all the medallions, so now I just find myself running past star posts.

19. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I can see the problem there, shame it omits the other options though. Could debug be greyed out for other modes (or could we trust people to play fair on them)?

20. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Debug should be available on a complete save with all emeralds. Don't pretend you haven't spent hours in past Sonic games with debug mode.

It's very annoying how they've implemented it here. Maybe there's a cheat code for level select plus debug.