don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Violet

Violet

Sweden
    Flicky Engine, Overdrive
    Y'all and your fancy gamepads :P
    I'll just play using my Keyboard lol.

Well, until i get the Switch Version.

2. Sirius-R

Sirius-R

basement cave under a rock
    whatever 3AngleTeam/3Angleware is up to atm (currently dead)
    Once I'm getting the PSGamePort-to-USB adapters, I'm gonna try the most oddball option, which is this.
    (I really wonder how well using twist for running would work...)

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness

IMPORTANT NOTE.

(You can tell it's important because I'm using font tags!)

There are now confirmed leaks of Sonic Mania floating around on the internet - as such, if you want to play the game guaranteed spoiler free, now is the time to stop reading this topic. It's going to be asking far too much of the staff to monitor this topic 24/7 for the next 5 days so we're not going to be actively removing leaked stuff that gets posted - we ask that if you do post it, you put it in spoiler tags (ideally the collapsing ones) and that you respect your fellow board members. That said...

THERE ARE NOW LEAKS OF SONIC MANIA ON THE WEB.

IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE SPOILED, STOP READING THIS THREAD NOW,

AND DO NOT RETURN UNTIL YOU'VE PLAYED THE GAME.

THIS IS THE ONLY SPOILER WARNING YOU WILL GET.

We now return you to your regular Sonic Mania thread, already in progress. Spoiler-free thread: http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=37010

4. @360 @cooljerk: FYI I bought the game on amazon, not steam.

Its probably too much to ask but I don't understand why any diehard Sonic fan would leak this game, given the fact that its coming from this community. Seems odd, but different strokes I guess.

5. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    In the mean time, can we make a temporary topic where people who don't want to be spoiled can talk? Maybe an honor code sort of thing without needing active moderation?

6. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Fuck.

The only spoiler I'd want to hear is if Hydrocity is in the game and, if so, where in the game (i.e. what zone number) it is.
    If someone would be cool enough to PM me that when it shows up, I'd appreciate it.

Otherwise, I'm out. See ya.

7. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Well, I'm out.

Going spoiler free.

So you in five days.

8. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

It's still a steam game. Steam is a platform, not just a storefront. Amazon is going to give you a code that you redeem on steam, and you will launch the game through Steam.

But even if the game weren't on steam at all, like say Titanfall on Origin, you can still launch the game through Steam and get all the benefits of the Steam Controller API through the game, automatically. In fact, that's exactly how I played Titanfall with my Steam Controller.

9. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    CoolJerk pretty much answered you better than I ever could but just to confirm, yes I have the controller and I'm using Windows 10 so it's definitely compatible.

You're welcome man! It's an awesome controller and I'd highly recommend it so definitely give it a shot if you're looking for an awesome pad for Mania.

And regarding Overlord's warning post: I was literally just about to post here saying leaks are imminent (read it via Twitter and NeoGAF) but looks like Overlord beat me to it. Thanks for the warning dude - though I'm half tempted just to read the leaks to get myself hyped for the game. Though also half inclined to just bail out now.

So on-topic question: what's everyone's stance on leaks? You guys going to spoil yourselves or just wait until release?

10. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    I keep seeing tons of mentions that specifically people who got the Switch CE were able to download the game early. Still have yet to see ANYTHING posted anywhere.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I finally got my order confirmation! The PC Collectors Edition will arrive... between August 21 and August 25 :colbert:

Well good thing I ordered the PS4 version too

12. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    I'm all up for this.

Although sheeeit... How can I shitpost on the 4chan Mania threads with fear of spoilers now!? ;) Still, staying off the usual sites will be a fun ride! At least there's the plenty of Sonic forces to pick apart while we wait...

13. @360 @cooljerk Thanks. I'm a complete noob with PC gaming, so didn't know any better.

I guess I'm out too now. This wait has been painful and its been hard to stay out of this thread everyday but I don't want to see anything before 12AM Tuesday.

If another temporary non-spoiler thread pops up I'll rejoin discussion there.

14. Violet

Violet

Sweden
    Flicky Engine, Overdrive
    I'd avoid twitch and all that stuff too :p
    That guy who got his hands on the CE wants to stream it soon.

15. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Mom, I'n famous.

This is my final post in this thread until after I play the game since I'm gonna avoid spoilers.

16. If only there was a way to custom set my spoilers...

17. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    am I late to the party
    [​IMG]

18. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    So this reviewer on NeoGAF gave the advice just now to avoid spoilers. He basically says there's loads of awesome surprises in the game and it's best to go in blind. Don't worry about clicking the link, he goes to great lengths to not spoil anything specific. They're very vague and general impressions.

So to absorb the leaks or bail out of this thread? Honestly can't decide. Maybe that secondary spoiler-free topic would be a good idea.

EDIT: Also OpenCritic just added a countdown for reviews here: http://opencritic.com/game/4493/sonic-mania

19. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Well even if you'd been PC gaming for a while, a lot has changed in the last 5 or so years considerably with Steam thanks to big picture mode, and steam streaming, and especially the Steam Controller and Steam Controller API (which are only 2 years old). And Valve doesn't really do a great job of shouting these major changes from the rooftops, either.

But yeah, this is probably the best PC gaming has ever had it as far as controllers go. I mentioned you can also map to things like KB&M. The API is actually really in depth, letting you build button chords or mode shifting or even add pop up menus to games. Goes a long way towards making games that were previously impossible to play from a couch, actually playable. Plus it's all built into steam, so no dodgy drivers or software like DS4windows.

20. Creature SH

Creature SH

Well, see guys in about a week. Thanks for the warning!