don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

I probably won't be able to immediately get the game, so I'll sadly be crying in a dark room while I watch others play it waiting. With Metroid: Samus Returns coming out a month later, it may take longer since, as much as I love Sonic, Metroid takes priority even if it's a remake.

When I eventually do get it, it'll be for the PC. My gamepad of choice will be my trusty PSP 2000 by way of FuSa Gamepad.

Regarding moddability, what's up with most hacks using Sonic 1?

3. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    Well I don't even have any of the supported consoles, so what choice do I have?

I may not have a gaming PC, but Mania is not exactly the kind of game that would challenge a modern PC's hardware.

4. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Forgive me, as this has probably already been mentioned...

But it is possible that Doomsday Zone will be in Mania, as the "True Ending" and Final Boss. They just can't resist having a Super Sonic boss.

5. No need to really even pre-load, but I have it pre-purchased on Steam and will be enjoying it the night of release, even if it means mucking up my sleep schedule for a moment.

Ohshima's art is as gorgeous as ever! That may be up for replacing the Blaze 25th wallpaper on my droid.

6. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Sonic CD 2011 ran fine on WINE, and the requirements on Steam say it only needs a minimum of DirectX 9. It would be very unusual if it did not work.

Release plans:
    I've already pre-ordered on PC and PS4 (for the themes & avatars) but my primary platform will be Switch when that comes out. Will probably play it on Switch first, then play again on the other platforms later. Unless one platform ends up launching a bit earlier than the others, then I'll start with that one.

7. That's a good point, do any of these platforms launch any earlier? I'm trying to play this yesterday

8. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Just do the steam version and HDMI out to your TV. Boom problem solved; best of both worlds.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
  10. RikohZX

RikohZX

I got my preorder on Steam a few days ago, but my computer's a bit too far for an HDMI. Steam Link's a blessing for my situation.

11. Linkabel

Linkabel

Tails is just a hard motherfucker to draw, both in his Classic & Modern styles so I'm not surprised.

Not sure why but I always see art of him by others and he always tend to look a little bit off most of the time.

For example in the Mania "box art" he looks a little bit iffy but then looks okay in the other Mania promotional material.

12. runde

runde

Using Plan "B"... Member
    Deep in the gut of Texas
    What was I was supposed to do again?
    That light bulb head doesn't give anyone favors while drawing him. It is tricky as all get out to get Tails' body structure and details.

13. Pengi

Pengi

I hope not.

Doomsday Zone was a surprising novelty at the time, but it doesn't really hold up to scrutiny. It wasn't a very appropriate finale to a game where you run, jump and navigate terrain.

That's why the best Super Sonic boss was Perfect Chaos in Sonic Adventure. You were still running, jumping and navigating terrain. There was no sudden shift in control scheme and game rules.

14. Turbohog

Turbohog

Honestly, Super Sonic in Sonic Adventure doesn't hold up incredibly well to me. It feels glitchy and Perfect Chaos is repetitive, un-challenging, and uninteresting. I still think Doomsday Zone is the best Super Sonic boss fight ever.

15. Doomsday may technically be "bad game design" but I think that's overridden by the sheer awesomeness factor. Flying through space, smashing asteroids as Super Sonic and chasing after Robotnik's final mechs? After the epic Death Egg boss? It's a really brilliant way to end the game in my opinion.

Dimps always made a distinction between the "final" zone and the "extra" zone. Perhaps that helps a little. A Super Sonic boss fight as a reward for getting all the emerald is (in the 2D games) practically tradition at this point anyway. I'm certain Mania will have one, though who knows what form it will take.

16. Pengi

Pengi

That feeling can't be replicated though, because we've seen it done a dozen times by now.

Wouldn't it be better to see a new final boss idea that actually sticks to Sonic style gameplay?

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The final boss should be against Boom Sonic

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Nope. All versions launch the same day worldwide, thankfully. I'm just hoping that my Switch CE arrives in time. I've taken the day off work, and don't want to be sat playing the Steam version instead (which I have also pre-ordered).

19. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Yes, it's the same day, but that question is still valid.

I've done the research for you since I was curious too:
    On Steam, games typically release at 10AM PST (1PM EST) on launch day.
    On PSN, games typically release at midnight EST. With PS4, I know that pre-ordered games have a countdown to tell you exactly when they unlock.
    On Switch, games typically release at 9AM PST (12PM EST).
    On Xbox, according to Microsoft it's "Midnight local time" but some games have been noon according to other search results.

If this information is accurate, PS4 and Xbox One will probably get it first, followed by Switch, and Steam is last.

20. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    Doomsday Zone was actually pretty cool imo. I liked the level design, the aesthetics are really nice (not to mention it inspired many other levels in the series, from SA2 to Rush and Colours). Even if the time limit made the boss really frustrating. It's a much better Sonic 3&K level than, say, f*cking Marble Garden.

also: The Doomsday Zone 1&2 music is really really good, and it only ever got a pretty low budget remix in the Mario&Sonic games and a "remaster" in Generations as far as I can remember.

I'd love it if Doomsday Zone was the final or even semi-final zone in Mania.