don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Linkabel

Linkabel

Data Discs is going to release a vinyl for Mania! Pics in tweet.
    https://twitter.com/AbelMunizJr/status/878280673068335105

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    That's nice and all, but there better be other formats. It took me awhile to get here, but I'm finally to the point that I can't be bothered by physical media. That's what I tell the CDs in my car's glovebox that I've forgotten about, everyday.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    If there's a viynl I'd be shocked if there wasn't a digital release, hell even Sonic 4 got a digital release. Most Sonic soundtracks are on spotify for example.

Plus that'd be stupid for a digital only game to get a physical only soundtrack release.

4. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    It's definitely going to be released on digital, that's for sure. Even considering SEGA released a bunch of retro soundtracks on Spotify some months ago. The question is when.

I wonder if my 35 years old turntable could play this.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Source: https://twitter.com/datadiscs/status/878300767228133376

Okay, who's in charge of making that damn awesome art.

6. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    I believe that would be Kieran Gates from the Mania Team.

7. Linkabel

Linkabel

It's from Tom Fry and Kieran Gates.

So the album price is not that bad, since it's only £19.99. Though I wonder how expensive that limited edition is going to be.

The Data Disc website also seems to have a complete version of Studiopolis available to listen to.

8. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Hey, hooooold up. That song is different from the known rips. There's a small 8bit-beep-kindof-instrument prior to the main chorus. The instruments are the same, but has some kind of reverb effect on them. Also, the "Lights, camera, action!" prior to the repeat of the loop has some nifty record-scratch SFX.

For comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGR5fTO2oio

EDIT: My bad, the "8bit-beep-kindof-instrument" is in the original version, but less noticeable. It is definitely a new version, though, the record-scratch SFW is entirely different.

9. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    I don't know much about music at all, so can someone explain what the appeal is in vinyl records, for music which is created digitally? I thought the appeal of vinyl was that it is a physical representation of the audio, and therefore was not subject to the loss in resolution (kHz) of the sound waves which occurs in digitization (such as a continuous slope, as opposed to steps like stairs), and subsequently higher quality. But if the audio is produced digitally from the start, wouldn't it already have this loss baked in? Wouldn't the vinyl actually be of lesser quality than a high resolution digital copy, because it would have interference/noise?

10. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    You're right on the money. But some people like having a big physical album to look at and some people like "the record experience" regardless of audio quality.

11. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    I think you misunderstand what digital music is. Digital music still produces analog wave forms, they just come from a digital instrument. I'm no musician either, but the way it was explained to me is that digital instruments are basically adjusting timbre to produce new sounds. The example provided was how when you look at spinning wheels on a car, they can sometimes look like they are standing still or spinning slowly, because they are spinning so fast that we see different patterns. Digital audio is like that.

So, a digital instrument still can produce really high bandwidth audio given the analog nature of the sound.

Hopefully an actual musician can chime in, though.

12. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    [Weird double post from my phone, can a mod clean this up for me?]

13. Falk

Falk

You're going to be hearing this phrase quite a bit :V

There are a lot of factors, but outside of its value as a collector's item, the two main reasons would be
    a) mechanical - digital playback essentially is a reproduction of a digital waveform being converted into an analog signal which then amplified and drives a diaphragm to create sound, whereas the phyiscally cut grooves on a vinyl pressing moves a needle, which then results in an audio signal which is amplified and drives a diaphragm to create sound. There's something about the quality of being pressed to vinyl and the physical limitations of how a needle can physically move that affects the sound in a way simply turning a digital signal into an analog one via a DA converter doesn't get.

b) methodology - As vinyl is very much a mechanical device in terms of how it generates an audio signal, the mastering process for vinyl often precludes a lot of bad habits you can 'get away' with in a completely digital realm. Overcompression, harsh highs will distort playback, and bass frequencies that are too uncentered will make the needle physically jump out of the groove. You need to avoid a lot of (subjectively) bad practices when producing, mixing and mastering for vinyl to make sure the vinyl pressing comes out great. Of course, nothing is preventing a good digital master from simply sounding as good, but that's historically been hardly the case as most labels partook in the loudness war, etc.

14. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Yeah, I still get amazed with every new version of this OST. It's because it's so earorgasm-inducing, I feel like evey new version of the same song, it's a new song. Which equals to hours and hours to listening on repeat :P

Anyways, Tee uploaded his YouTube channel with this new version of the song.

15. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    >collector's edition

>physical vinyl release of the ost

>no physical/retail release of the game

....ok then

(like, great for those who wanted a C.E. or the vinyl/physical release of the OST, but I still find this really baffling)

16. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Edit: Actually...

So if the statues hit above $50 on eBay? People will basically have gotten the game for free for scalping.

Edit2: Forced myself to be spoiled and watched the trailer for this game.

I have no hype for this. Sonic Cycle, etc... have fun with it.

17. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Blue spheres aren't in Sonic Mania. The blue sphere shot was a hint towards a remaster of Sonic 3K. At least I think that's what Taxman intended.

Mania's special stage is something completely new that we haven't seen yet, and will probably only see when the game is released.

18. Linkabel

Linkabel

Well I assume it's easier for Sega to be able to find places that can take care of the production of niche products like the C.E. and the OST since they have operations that can crank out a couple of hundreds or a few thousand in a timely manner. But I imagine it would be harder for Sega to be able to publish this game this late in the game, especially when the plan was to have this digital only and then creating a production schedule well ahead with that idea in mind.

19. lopinjop

lopinjop

Sonic 25th Anniversary Party Enthusiast Member
    All of the art for this game has been so spot on. I don't even have a record player but I'll be sure to pick up this vinyl for its glorious design.
    Plus it's guarenTEEd that this soundtrack is going to amaze, and it already has.

20. The vinyl is certainly neat, but I'll wait for the full physical release since this doesn't have all of the tracks. :v