don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Linkabel

Linkabel

I'm a little bit worried about this too. To be fair, it did good by being on Amazon's top best selling items for a day or two but it was surprising that it didn't sell out right there and then.

I also wonder about the limited numbers since you can get this on Gamestop, Best Buy, Target and Walmart as well and they haven't sold out either.

I would say this though, I think the problem was that it got announced and went up for preorder too soon. Usually these kind of things get announced/go on preorder one or two months before the game comes out to generate the feeling of "shit this is going to sell out better buy now."

This one got announced all the way back in September when it still had the spring release date. It just created a lot of safe room for the customer to not having to stress about getting it, especially when it became apparent that it wasn't going to sell out.

Maybe the better route would've been to say it was coming but officially announced it this year at least.

The Sonic Generations CE proves the franchise can have stuff like this sell well (though the circumstances were different since it was Europe only and had the 20th anniversary hype to back it up, but it used the tactic I described above which proves it works) so it's a little disheartening this one seems to be not doing as good.

2. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I'm playing the orginal Mega Drive games in my Mega Drive for revival and seeing with my own eyes how do classic games look in a modern TV. With adult eyes after so many years, it's easier to spot their faults but also nicer to see the feels are the same. Not sure how fan games and hacked roms help revive that, though

EDIT:
    Act count, including final battles. Size of standard acts in S3&K is about 1.5 times the size of acts in Sonic 1 and 2, due to alternate routes for Knuckles.:

- Sonic 1: 19 acts.
    - Sonic 2: 19 acts.
    - Sonic 3: 12 acts.
    - Sonic & Knuckles: 10 acts.
    - S3&K (as Sonic and/or Tails): 21 acts
    - S3&K (as Knuckles): 18 acts

Besides Sonic CD, which is difficult to measure in the same terms as these ones thanks to time travel, the size of most games is roughly the same. The case of S3 and S&K being put together or as separate games is up to you, since S3 alone lacks the Knuckles gameplay and both together, but consider that instead of both games as parts of a three game character, you could divide S3&K into both routes, and each one would lead to a standard sized game, a bit longer for Sonic & Tails.

3. Indigo Rush

Indigo Rush

When Zone counting, are we counting Doomsday Zone, Sky Sanctuary and Hidden Palace as full "Zones" for Sonic 3&K?

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    What do you mean by that exactly? I don't think we all plan on playing them to find faults we just want to have the classic experience. The good fan games and rom hacks that exist just play off that, pretty sure no one is saying any of these games (classics included) are perfect though.

5. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Badly explained, my fault. I just meant that those games seemed perfect to me back in their days. I wasn't searching for faults, they're just more noticeable for me after all those years. About fan games and hacks, I'm not judging their quality, I'm just saying they aren't those games, so they weren't there in my childhood.

6. serpx

serpx

I may consider going through Sonic 3 & Knuckles before the game comes out. That'd be fun -- that game is nothing short of an epic adventure.

7. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    The only real problem I had with the classic games, Sonic 2 mostly, was how the game slowed down for a couple seconds when loosing a shit ton of rings at once. + - Plus the pit in Mystic Cave Zone....seriously, WTF was going through their heads?   It just couldn't handle it and apparently it wasn't seen as a big deal or too large of an issue to dedicate time to fixing. I'm sure the remasters have fixed it, I just haven't played them.

8. lopinjop

lopinjop

Sonic 25th Anniversary Party Enthusiast Member
    I'll probably be replaying Sonic 3 Complete until Mania is out to get a little better at speed-running. Even though Sonic 3 & Knuckles is my favorite of the classics, I've never attempted to memorize any routes or level layouts. I've always just wandered through the game, so going back to get truly familiar with those zones should be a fun way to quell my hype until Mania is here. I can't remember the last time I've been this excited about a Sonic game and I'd like to give a huge thank you to the entire Mania team for bringing this experience to life.

I'd also like to point out a similarity in Dr. Robotnik/Eggman's logo across Mania & Forces.
    I can't recall ever seeing that depiction of Eggman in the Genesis titles, and it strikes me as odd that the same basic logo is being used across both games.
    The logo in Forces is slightly less smiley and you can see the outline of Eggman's goggles, but they have the same modern look.

9. RikohZX

RikohZX

Clearly this takes place not long after Eggman changed his outfit and style in Pocket Adventure.

10. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Just done my full 96 Puzzle Pieces on Sonic Pocket Adventure. Feeling good about that one, although a bit bummed I had to resort to a guide for the last few.
    Although not Mania-classic, I managed to get the Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast emulating on my PC (thank you Retroarch!), and the Special Stages work a treat, so I'll probably get that out the way soon!
    If not that er... I've still got Shadow the Hedgehog levels to A-Rank so that's gonna suck balls. Will be worth it to get it off my plate in time for Mania though. :v:

Also if anyone's going back to Sonic the Fighters: Please tell me an easy way to cheese the game to play as Super Sonic. Not losing a match/round is harder than it seems, and every time I try to play clever I get bodied by Metal Sonic.

11. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Acts like those are what I referred to as "one-act zones" in my post. They're only an act long, and I gave a number count of zones that included them (11/14) and didn't include them (11/8).

It is worth noting however that Knuckles' alternate routes for Knuckles vary by their implementation. Some acts like Angel Island Act 2 and Carnival Night Act 1 have routes for Knuckles' built entirely separate from Sonic/Tails' routes. Other acts like Hydrocity Act 2 and Mushroom Hill Act 1 have segments of Knuckles' alternate routes weaved in-between the main routes for Sonic and Tails.

12. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Not necessarily, Mania team could still pull one on us. They could totally pull levels from Spinball, Chaotix, and maybe 3D blast, as several pages back someone quoted someone, but they removed part of the original post saying that Mania would only be reimagining 2D levels. Picture your surprise to a level transition to something like Toxic Caves, Marina Madness, or Rusty Ruins. I know I personally would lose my shit.

Let's say they pull one each from Sonic 1, 2, CD, 3, Knuckles, Spinball, 3D, and Chaotix. That would be 8, plus likely add 6 more, plus a final boss, that would equal slightly more than the classic games and match the ratio of more classic than new stages.

13. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    The PS4 store region lock doesn't really matter. Although you have to redeem codes for the region you bought them for, that is not really a problem since the PS4 can have multiple user accounts each with a different region. I have accounts for US, UK, Hong Kong and Japan on my PS4 all with them registered as the primary system. So basically to use a US code you just create a US account (requires a separate email address, that's it) and redeem the code on the US Store. Then you switch back to your local region's account and play it. You'll earn the trophies on the account you play the game under.

There are only 2 caveats to this:
    1. DLC must be purchased in the same region store as the game.
    2. Games that are explicitly tied to your PSN account can't be played on a different PSN account. The only game I know of that has this restriction is Phantasy Star Online 2. I can only play that game on my Japanese PS4 account and I get an error telling me it's linked to a different account if I try to login from my US account.

14. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Please no!!! I can handle a Spinball level and Chaotix, but 3D Blast is a no go for me. Motion sickness galore!

Something tells me the elevator was a mistake or Stardust Speedway was a late add. I still say the "K" stands for Knuckles Chaotix. I could be wrong, but Sonic & Knuckles just does not sit well with me as a standalone game.

15. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    ...and just like that, all four versions are now listed as "Currently unavailable" on Amazon US.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sonic & Knuckles is it's own game when it's convenient to SEGA. No Sonic 3 level in generations? Nah you got sky sanctuary that's Sonic 3. Sonic 3 and Knuckles on the Wii? Nah buy both they're different games.

In this case the K is def S&K

17. Linkabel

Linkabel

Nice! Though for those who didn't get it through Amazon and still want them Gamestop, Best Buy, Target and Walmart still have all 4 versions available. I believe Best Buy does price match but now sure if they'll honor the Amazon price since it's unavailable.

18. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    No, not quite. I mean like converting the concept of Rusty Ruins into a 2D rendition. It has that sick music, and it has one of the most interesting gimmicks with becoming a spin top. What would be even cooler (and going fun fanboy) is if there is ever Chaotix DLC, Espio could potentially break though those breakable blocks.

I understand what I'm suggesting is totally ludicrous, but with the dev team being who they are, anything's possible right? And even if I'm totally off base, it's a cool thought experiment. Maybe give some ideas for a potential sequel :D

19. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    I don't see why not if it's true we're getting something that let's us play a little of "Doctor Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine"

20. Zphase

Zphase

Is this where the name came from?

[​IMG]

8 15 17 8+15=23 the release day conspiracy!