don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I did, oops, sorry about that

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Nah there were interviews with busy Sega developers back in the mid-90s. Not often on camera because of the logistics involved in the pre-internet age, but there's plenty of Sonic Team/AM2/AM3 coverage in magazines of the time.

Assuming you read the right magazines.

i.e. British ones.

3. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I did not, for obvious reasons. :v:

4. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Any word on the possibility for a physical release? Unless a physical release is in the works but is planned to ship after the August 15th date, I can't envision Sega still mulling over the idea by this point. The game is intended to release in two months' time, it's either getting a retail release or remaining a digital download exclusive.

5. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    It'll be digital only for awhile, at best.

6. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Here's a really interesting playthrough (off-screen footage) with Tails.

The player tries really hard to explore high-up:

7. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    I

I found that route the first time I played through the game as a kid

Then proceeded to get stuck in the pit of doom in the far right because I loved going on the top of the loops.

8. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    I wouldn't mind hearing any word on the Mania vinyl. I would seriously love to have a copy. My father wants one too. He's been an avid record collector for over 40 years and a Sonic fan for 25.

9. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    lol I didn't know this existed until right now

10. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    That Chemical Plant trick brings back Werster's worst nightmare (skip to 27 seconds):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWFpcf44WqU

Does anyone know what the technical explanation for this?

11. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    There's a very small spot there that doesn't have collision. There's only one vertical position of Sonic that tests for collision with walls, so if you time it right you can jump right through the gap

12. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    We should get an interview with the full Mania team, that would be amazing.

Get the boys together!

13. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    Thank you so much! I'll tell Werster right now!

14. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Wait until the game is done, we don't want to bother them yet. :-)

Actually, we never got proper interviews for any of the past ports, have we? I'd be curious to know about the events after the 2009 Sonic CD video was taken down. How long before it was picked up officially? There's probably some interesting stuff for Sonic 1 & 2 that we haven't heard either.

15. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Well, I didn't expect something like that to be almost random since is really hard to tell just by playing the game. I honestly thought that they would give the player more control over the route they take, the opposite somehow clashes with the design philosophy they had. Mystery finally solved, anyways. :v:

16. Felik

Felik

Well I guess if you're REALLY good at speedrunning you can memorize the time you spend in the pipe before the path splitter so you can time your jump into it to pick the path so technically it's not completely random.

17. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    That was a cool interview! I'm glad we got a chance to hear from more of the folks responsible for the level design, and the fact that everyone is so in-sync with their ideas is going to speak volumes about the final product.

Also, hearing everyone talk so casually about their roots in fangaming feels really good in a way I'm not quite sure how to explain, but like... it feels like we're in the infancy of a new generation of talent in the franchise. I want to say that this is going to help legitimize fangaming at large, but that would disregard the years the team has spent building a positive business relationship with Sega, each in their own way from Stealth to Tax to Tee Lopes to Tyson Hesse and more. Should they choose to continue working regularly with Sega, and should Mania sell well (and I sure as heck hope it does), I wouldn't be surprised to see more projects like this cropping up after Mania.

18. Chenginerd

Chenginerd

I feel like fangames are the sole responsibility for bringing a lot of people together; especially when they're a community effort. I remember one of the earliest social circles I got involved in was the Sonic Robo Blast 2 Community, and even then, people were producing content that blew my mind. The same can be said for Mania -- despite it technically not being a fangame (even though the development team clearly has a passion for the franchise).

When you have the likes of Taxman, Tee Lopes, and a bunch of other people on board, there's no reason not to be proud of the final product. Humble beginnings and whatnot.

19. Dr. Corndog

Dr. Corndog

So in a Sonic Mania preview on NintendoLife, Aaron Webber is quoted as saying, "As far as I'm concerned, it goes Sonic 1-3, Knuckles, and then Sonic Mania." I know the absence of Sonic 4 in the elevator has been discussed, but it's one thing to just casually ignore the game, and another to have your PR guy come out and say something like that.

Link: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/06/first_impressions_getting_into_a_spin_with_sonic_mania

20. Linkabel

Linkabel

I mean, didn't he just ignored CD as well like the elevator did?