don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    I was kidding, but I think you have something here.

2. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Holy fucking bajeezus. I would gladly live in a reality where you were on the Sonic Mania team instead of the Sonic Robo Blast 2 team if it meant more of this.

Get this shit on tumblr immediately. I will reblog it eight times.

3. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

Who said I'm limited only to developing SRB2 anyway? :^]

I think I'm part of like three or four different teams at this point, but I'd still gladly join Sonic Mania if I'm given the opportunity.

4. Felik

Felik

I actually wouldn't mind a remastered Knuckles Chaotix level this time complete with actual gimmicks and level design that doesn't revolve around elastic bond.

5. ancara

ancara

So then, for the fun of it, let's see how much content there'd be if they went and did 2 zones max from each game for an even balance (and to ensure there's every main trope you see in Sanic games in this one game) of content. Let's also assume that we get at max 4-5 original zones.

(10*2) + (5*2) = 30 acts total. And if each act takes at minimum 3 minutes to complete (level + miniboss/boss), then that would mean over 90 minutes at minimum of zone antics. Add to that approx. 3 minutes-ish max per special zone, and you're looking at a grand total of 111 minutes, or 1 hour and 51 minutes at the bare minimum of content.

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that for an average player, one's first session with this game will last for about 3 hours tops before the game ends. So yeah. :v:

6. ClockworkPumpkin

ClockworkPumpkin

I'm having a hard time believing this game won't contain both modern and classic Sonic.

[​IMG]

3? So why are there 4 colours?

[​IMG]

Past and future?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 animated Sonic sprites over one another?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is where it (the 2017 3D game) begins.

[​IMG]

Calling it

Mania and 2017 will probably share the same "new" levels, but 2017 will not contain any past content. Hence them being able to claim it's not a sequel and not Generations 2.

7. Anyone else noticed that Sonic's giving a '1' gesture with his hand on the title screen?? :specialed:

8. Unreality

Unreality

I can't believe its actually happening. I am elated. Words can't do it justice. To the people who made/are making it happen; THANK YOU.

When I last posted here in 2014 asking for basically - this - to happen, I never expected that it actually would.

9. ancara

ancara

Thinking about it, the real fun is not only all the content we're getting, along-side all the amazing music Tee is giving us, but also something possibly MASSIVE if we can make it happen: Mod support.

Make a good/decent level/zone/ect. editor with this, and you will have the golden tool to ensure a new era of new fan creations for years to come. If this, plus good multiplayer antics, a leaderboard for best times/distance traveled like with Generations, and plenty of variety level-wise happens, then this will be my favorite game for years to come.

10. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

I was on holiday over the weekend but still ended up waking up early to find out what the Sonic reveal would be, and I still can't believe it's this. This is my dream Sonic game, the game we should have got on the Sega Saturn. The title screen animation is absolutely phenomenal, maybe the best looking title screen to a video game I have ever seen. I think I screamed with joy the first time I saw it in the trailer and cannot stop looking at it. Did anyone else notice that when the title screen starts it resembles the circle part of a Mega Drive/Genesis 1? Like it's being powered on.

The sprite animation in-game is so good too, with every little bit of footage popping up even off screen I keep noticing amazing little additional details like how the springs have a more cartoony bounce to them for example. I cannot wait to play this in a couple weeks at Summer of Sonic. Congrats on finally encouraging Sega to let you create a original game, they will not regret it! :O

11. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Finally all settled in and back to normal at home after attending the party. Figured I'd pop in to reconfirm suspicions / other player's accounts; the game was fantastic to play. The dream is real and it feels so good. The game is dazzling in person; no screens or footage I've seen online come close to how splendid Studiopolis looks in person. That level is so consistently charming and surprising. It definitely wears some slight CD influence on its sleeve at points, but what I was happiest with was that it felt like it had its own identity. I can't really say anything others before me haven't, just know that it was incredibly hard to walk away from that gameplay demo knowing I likely wouldn't get to touch this game again until Spring. I miss it dearly already.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Hmmm, I don't really think the two are related. 2017 seems to be more grim dark, where as this is colorful and light hearted. However I wouldn't mind having Modern Sonic in this game, might be kind of fun to have the boost :specialed:

13. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Holy crap, that's a lovely animation. Really looks like something true to the style of the game (or Knuckles Chaotix). I hope you may expand and use this for something yourself actually.

Seriously though, I hope all this 'other character' speculation doesn't taint the game's release. It looks great with just the standard three and it never remotely promised anyone else.

14. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    I keep hearing that more people are helping out on Sonic Mania. Is there a list of people who help/contributed to Sonic Mania besides Stealth and Taxman? If it's a private thing then that I can respect it.

15. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    The salt mining over this game is ridiculous. I probably shouldn't hang around certain other web forums until the hype settles down.

It's unreal how we got a Not-Generations 2 announced, and here are some people choosing to give this whole other game clearly not marketed towards them flak for existing and not being an HD 2D eyecandy explosion to blow their $500 GPUs straight to Video Card Valhalla. I better understand the criticism over the color choices than this.

Goes to show you can't please everyone.

(Quoting this because we can't ever have enough quote boxes with this adorable animation of Amy in this thread. Never!)

I always love your work, MotorRoach! Can't help admiring the palette and how smooth the frames are in motion.

16. CorralSummer

CorralSummer

Sonic 2 HD
    Other than those two there are the guys from Pagodawest. They're the reason the animations look suspiciously like Sonic 2 HD's animations, and of course the music is being done by Tee Lopes.
    I don't think there is anyone else, but I could be wrong.

17. Pengi

Pengi

That seems unlikely. They'd probably make more money selling "Sonic the Hedgehog Maker" as a stand-alone release. But that's definitely something I'd like to see this team make.

That would be a good way of presenting it, alternating from old Zone to new Zone. However, Christian Whitehead has already confirmed that there will be "stuff" from both Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles when asked about the level line-up on NeoGAF. I wonder if we'll see any merged Zones? Green Hill Zone had the twister strips from Emerald Hill Zone and Bat Brain robots from Marble Zone. Maybe Flying Battery could show up in the middle of another Zone?

For me, the best thing about having old Zones in there is that it demands the new Zones be fresh new themes and ideas, rather than Sonic 4 style rehashes. Studiopolis Zone looks so good too! I just hope that not all the new Zones go for the psychadelic look, that would get repetitive. I'm crossing my fingers for a baseball stadium stage.

18. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Well they could either do 12 levels to accommodate (more than Generations can certainly mean 12 too :specialed: ) More than likely, Knuckles' Chaotix would be dropped instead.

Can't find a source for the "more than Generations" remark, but I found the others.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=211220154&postcount=1640
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=211224651&postcount=1660

19. synchronizer

synchronizer

The Baseball Stage from the Turncoat DX hack...or whatever it was called?

Honestly I am a little bit tired of the "revisiting old levels" idea. I realize that creating new Zones involves a lot of effort, but I think that we are ready for all-original content. I would hope for at least 7 new zones as in Sonic CD, but I think that the "alternating new and old" format will probably be used.

20. Deef

Deef

More levels than Generations?

Wow, so it really is going to compete with S3&K for length.

I honestly just find it too hard to believe there could be a new classic Sonic that pulls out all the S3&K polish. Bosses per act, act transitions, music per act, massive levels, many levels, 3 playables, shields, the whole shebang. But it's really looking like that's what they're aiming for. And only part of what they're aiming for. But still it's hard to just believe something could be competing with S3&K.

I think they know how to add new things carefully; I'm not worried about the drop dash. If there were a real Sonic 4, it would have to have some new move, and there is literally no other team we'd ever see more likely to not mess that up.

Damn this release is forever away.