don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I can't wait for Super Sonic God Super Sonic, also known as Super Sonic Blue. Ohwait.

3. synchronizer

synchronizer

So Sonic Mania caused an actual Sonic Mania--regarding canon and emeralds. Strange, isn't it?

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Alright, enough spamming. This thread is about Sonic Mania, not the non-canocity of the second set of S3&K's special stages. =P

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

If Mania is revisiting classic levels, surely we should be allowed to revisit classic forum arguments? It's been like the days of SWS2B in here lately.

No okay, I think it would be really awesome to see Super Knuckles and Super Tails make a comeback in Mania. I'm not fussed about the supposed canon surrounding Super forms. I just want to see those two again, bonus points of they're more than just flashy pallets.

6. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    You know what's kinda funny and comforting about all this?

When you look at threads like these and older ones for games that have come and gone, and then you look at what we have now with Sonic Mania coming out, and being made by folks who've lived and breathed this community since the beginning?

I know it's been said before, but man. This game is for people in these kinds of threads. It's truly a game by fans for fans. They know and see everything we're quibbling about now and have ever quibbled about. They know better than anyone at SEGA could have before they started engaging with the fans like with RubyEclipse and his team.

7. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    This dude gets it. Everyone be like this dude.

[​IMG]
    Lmao

8. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
  9. HyperShadowDC

HyperShadowDC

Oldbie
    So haven't found much about controller support on the PC version, figured this might be the best place to ask... Does anyone know if this will be limited to XInput controller support only or would I be able to use a Saturn Model 2 and USB Adapter

10. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Regardless of what is officially supported, you can use x360ce or the like to get nearly anything working as an xinput controller.

11. HyperShadowDC

HyperShadowDC

Oldbie
    If it comes down to having to use software, I'd rather use Joy2Key and map the KB controls instead of the 360 pad controls because less input lag.

12. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Doesn't Taxman's engine use SDL2? Or was that HCGE? Either way, if it uses SDL2, then any detected controller is automatically treated like xinput anyways.

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    At this stage, I would imagine that for all intents and purposes it'll be an entirely bespoke engine. It would make more sense to have a more lightweight solution for inputs - something like SDL is best used when you're trying to pair up graphics and audio too, but from personal experience I would suggest it's not entirely suited to high performance gaming. It's a tool for lazy people like me who don't have access to experts.

SDL_Mixer can't even loop music properly. But that's another story.

14. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

...wut. you seem to be talking about several things all at once. Even if you are building a bespoke engine, you need something to handle your contexts. Sdl is perfect for that, the alternative is using glut and that introduces problems.

You aren't going to be handling your graphics and music through sdl entirely, but for input polling? Sdl2 is literally made for that.

15. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    I code directly against the typical APIs (DirectX on Windows/XB1, Orbis SDK etc). Most of the video/audio rendering is done in pure software by the engine itself, so it's simple for me to bind against graphics APIs to output the image buffer to the GPU (and optionally apply shader filters etc).

Regarding input, it'll work with XInput and DInput controllers.

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Oh hey Taxman while you're here are there gonna be super emeralds.

17. Flygon

Flygon

Fucking ace! I love it! I gotta get me some Mega Drive or Saturn controller USB adapters now. :)

18. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    That's really nice to know! I don't know how many of my Steam games I've had to slap copies of x360ce into after I realized my iBuffalo SNES pad wasn't doing anything, or my old Xbox controller, or my generic USB controller, or literally any of the other USB controllers in this whole house. x360ce is a great program, but needing to use it on like half of my library gets to be somewhat grating. Thanks MS for making PC play more inconvenient with the Xinput/DirectInput divide. :v:

So looks like I'll be playing Mania with a SNES controller. The blasphemy is real.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ah excellent. Got the sega Saturn controller ready to go for this one.

Sonic Mania as I truly imagined it

20. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    The most optimal way to play Sonic Mania is with a Japanese Saturn controller and the Mayflash Saturn USB adapter.
    But where are the Super Emeralds?