don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    It makes sense. Sonic's bigger than him, and he's like a little kid. It's hard enough for him to fly on his own.

Also, you're right. He could only destroy boxes and badniks with his tails. I misremembered that.

By the way, I don't see the gay walk cycle for Knuckles as much as a lively saunter into a jog. I'm pretty sure they're not--

[​IMG]

Oh.

2. MissingNoGuy

MissingNoGuy

Sounds totally automated. Member
    Knuckles, is there something you're not telling us?

3. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Yeah, it's not meant to happen, the problem was with the animation ID in the collision code (game dev hooray!)

4. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    As I said earlier in the thread, Knuckles design is meant to be power, that walk completely destroys that persona. If I could use an analogy it would be Zant from Twilight Princess when you face him compared to the past events where he was intimidating.

I personally don't take issue with feminine male characters it's just that this is not what Knuckles is meant to be.

5. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I thought Knuckles' walk was a bit weird to start with but I've really warmed up to it now. I think it looks cool now. It's hard to adjust to new sprites after the decades spent with Sonic 1-3 sprites :v:

Tail's flight carry looks a bit OTT to me though.

[​IMG]

I think it's the smile, it makes him look a bit sinister and creepy :v: . If this is just me then it's probably not a big problem, but it's the only animation that's rubbing me the wrong way to be honest.

[​IMG]

This one looks a bit OTT, but it doesn't like creepy in the way the top one does.

6. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    >creepy smile

He kinda just looks like he's enjoying the flight. "Ooo, lookadat roller, lookatim go!"

7. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    What really stands out to me about Tails' carry animation is that they appear to have done a better job cementing the animation to his butt than in past games. It really looks like Sonic is weighing down the rest of him, in a way Sonic 3 did not. Small thing, but it really shows care and attention to detail.

+ - I throw my butt up in the air sometimes saying "SONIC IS HEAVY GOTTA LET GO"  

8. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I mean, I don't want to seem like a pathetic nitpicker, but I really don't think it looks anywhere near as good as Sonic 3's sprite.

[​IMG]

I think if Tails was smiling in the above he would look like a bit of a creeper too :v: .

It's especially jarring since the rest of Mania looks so brilliant. I think it will be the best Sonic game ever made, so I'm being ridiculously nitpicky :v:

9. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    But he doesn't smile when he's trying to heft Sonic up in the air in Mania. Only when he's moving laterally.

Plus, Covarr's right. In the Sonic 3 screenshot, Tails' arms don't seem to be weighed down as much by Sonic, or just angled correctly, as in Mania. Though, Tails' face looks less scruffy there than in 3, which is neither here nor there.

What the hell is Knuckles offering Sonic? A rice cake?

10. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    True, but I still think it looks jarringly weird.

11. MissingNoGuy

MissingNoGuy

Sounds totally automated. Member
    A Ushanka for IceCap :v:

12. kullenberg

kullenberg

Anyone else ever get these dreams where you play a SUPER DUPER MEGA AWESOME sequel to some game where everything is just ridiculously amazing, and then you wake up and realize it was just a dream and feel sad because it felt so tangible, so real?

Well, Sonic Mania is like one of those. Except it really is real!

13. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    It's not exactly a smile, anyway, looks more like him biting his lip to try and cope with the strain

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Wat. I don't get it.

But I think that pose is actually a nod to the Knuckles in Sonic 2 title screen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WQ_3zZy3JE

15. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Man, I know there is no shortage of people wanting to blow Tax, Stealth, and PagodaWest, but from the bottom of my heart to everyone involved, I absolutely love what I'm seeing so far. I can't express in words how happy this makes me.

16. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I also have a semi-popular YouTube channel. Let me preview Sonic Mania, and I promise I won't let Kalin scream curse words over ALL the footage. Plus there's not any water yet, so even he probably couldn't find a way to drown.

17. RhikoruNa

RhikoruNa

Your next line is, "Hey, I recognize that Joestar Member
    To me Knuckles' walk looks exactly like what they'd do in the Saturn era. Showing off "fancy sprite rotations" (making his arms go all around like that) and making it a little more complex seems completely in line with the kind of mindset a developer would take making a 2D game in the Saturn era. His fullspeed and regular run look perfectly powerful enough.

Can't believe this game is real. They showed off footage at just the right time, but now I wanna do a media blackout on Mania and experience it just like I did with the classic games; just pick them up and play trusting they're good. I hope that any injections of past or lost level elements get put into the remixed stages; the idea of wholly new level tropes sounds great, especially since we've already seen a ton of tropes in Sonic games over the years.

18. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

Yeah...I think y'all are looking way too deep into what Knuckles'...characterization(?????) in this game. His walk cycle looks like an adaptation of Sonic's. This is like Sonic 3, it's just that here, Sonic's walk cycle is based off Sonic 1's. And yeah, his end pose looks like a tweaked version of the S&K/KiS2 title screen pose.

Anyway I'm still loving everything I'm seeing so far. Tails' flying animation looks a lot better than Sonic 2/3's. Carrying Sonic looks a little dramatic but I think I actually love it? And Mirage Saloon sounds and looks GREAT. I wonder what the Act 1 mix (if that's a thing) sounds like.

19. Fuck how did I miss this!! New level looks amazing!! I kinda just want to not see anymore footage until release but... I... just... can't... help... it.

Just please don't spoil the whole game SEGA before release

20. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    You're right, but here's a hint.