don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Already gone in France. DAMN.

2. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    LE WHAT?!
    We can't get a break, can we? ^^'

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Oh wait, is the US one gone? It just occurred to me I can afford it.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Well, you could just hop on Amazon and check it out...

It's still available for all three platforms. Whether or not you can afford it now shouldn't be the issue anyway. You don't drop any money until the order ships out next year, so if you're unsure it's always a good bet to put an order in. You can cancel it later if need be. Or you'll be like me and decide that even some things are more important than eating...

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Well that's what I meant. I recently got a good job :v:

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Congrats on that!

Now that they've announced this CE for Europe and we got those two limited edition T-shirts as well, I'm beginning to wonder what loops needed to jumped through to get the greenlight on both Mania and all the awesome extras. It's got such a positive buzz and is proving to be incredibly popular even before it's release but it's still "only" a digital title. How well do fully 2D/retro titles do at retail these days? Mania really deserves some shelf space, especially if it's accurate that it's going to be a bigger game than Generations (which frankly, was tiny).

7. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Apparently (credit to OcelotBot / TombRaiderBender (SSMB) for noticing) it's also jumped in popularity quite a bit on the UK store.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best Sellers (The Xbox One C.E. wasn't so lucky, it's currently sitting on #17) and Movers and Shakers, respectively.

Add to that the C.E. reaching No. 1 on the US store as well and it apparently sold out on the France store...again, how about a budget-priced physical release guys?

Closest console competitors Mario (NSMBU) and Donkey Kong Country (Tropical Freeze) did about five million and barely over one million respectively. Granted, they were on the Wii U, whose malnourished install base hampered their chances (for comparison's sake, their Wii predecessors NSMBW and DKC both respectively made 5x more sales). If it counts, NSMB2 on the 3DS also did 10 million.

8. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    [​IMG]

Welp, guess Sega Europe underestimated how well this thing would sell.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya I'm sensing a Sonic Mania 2. Sega's probably kicking themselves for not letting this happen sooner.

I also wouldn't be shocked if the Sonic 1 and 2 remakes showed up on PC/Current Gen consoles sometime next year given this extreme love towards Sonic Mania. If they were ever going to put those on the Xbox One or PS4 now would be the time.

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

They thought they were hot on it when they announced Project Needlemouse 7 years ago.

[​IMG]

Makes Mania's existence all the more brilliant, really.

11. Sploit

Sploit

Pre-Ordered the Collector's Edition now. Need to get me a console to play it now.

So hyped for this.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ok then correction, they're probably kicking themselves for not letting Stealth and the Taxman take on this kind of project sooner.

And they probably regret letting Dimps make Sonic games for so long.

[​IMG]

Even the art for the Sonic 1 throwback is better. It's amazing.

13. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Yup, can confirm:

[​IMG]

It also was doing pretty good in that region's Best-Sellers / Movers and Shakers too (PS4 ver. anyway).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    It's called "Sonic Manier" plz get it right or Overlord will ban u

15. Miles Wolf

Miles Wolf

From Spain with love... And rings. Member
    www.sonicreikai.com
    For anyone like me waiting for the PC C.E. in Europe, Webber has finally confirmed it will NOT come:

[​IMG]

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/10/17/sonic-mania-collectors-edition-races-into-europe/

I can't understand why this decision. It's just a region-free code for Steam. I can't think of any licensing problem with this.

16. Sploit

Sploit

Is the Steam code going to be region free though? Because if it is I would be tempted to import it.

Not all Steam codes are region free (as far as I am aware anyway), and it was that doubt that put me off importing the PC version.

I would maybe have preferred to order the PC version as I don't have either of the consoles that it is due to arrive on.

17. Flygon

Flygon

And, frustratingly, still no love for Australia.

Even though the lack of PC release would probably mean just me giving the code to a friend of mine instead (if I had to get the PS4 edition. I did the same thing with the Mad Max special edition).

18. MartiusR

MartiusR

I would understand such decision in case of US market (after all, PC gamers are still important part of the market in Europe and in South America, it's still not the case in US, where consoles are dominating in far bigger degree than in Europe). It doesn't have any sense.

But about this region lock - as Sploit mentioned, there is big chance that Steam code in US Collector's edition is region locked. Since (as far as I know) Alien: Isolation it's quite common that steam keys sold in third-party stores are locked for activation. Not that it's the relevant reason to not sell PC version there, but hey, who cares about PC gamers, especially in Europe, right Sega?

19. Miles Wolf

Miles Wolf

From Spain with love... And rings. Member
    www.sonicreikai.com
    Dang it, you're right... And I didn't preorder the european version because I already had taken it via Amazon USA because of the PC edition. D:

20. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Alien Isolation is the exception rather than the rule here. For example: I imagine some of you have ever bought a Humble Bundle with Steam keys, right? I don't really recall any instance of those being region locked. I could always give keys of games I didn't want or already had to people in the US, and the keys would work fine for them.

This goes for SEGA Humble Bundles as well. It is possible for they key to be region locked, but that chance is pretty low and there's not really any reason for Sega to make the keys region locked here.