don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I'm hoping we see another level soon(ish). I'm so hyped for this game! :eng101:

However, I'm going to go dark on this game after the next reveal because I want most of the game to be a surprise. I don't want another case of Generations when I knew the entire game before it came out :v:

2. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Tiny Sanic is tiny.

This does feel like 15+ years ago when people were recreating HPZ off of video and pictures.

3. CittaLight

CittaLight

Here's a list of random ideas I'd like to see implemented in Sonic Mania:

NiGHTS-esque special stage: Special stages could be a short NiGHTS-esque stage. Then there could be a special stage mode collecting all the special stages and basically being a mini-NiGHTS game.

Better difficulty curve: S3&K doesn't get much harder as the game goes on. Death Egg is the final non-boss zone and it's pretty easy. Make the difficulty steadily ramp up to hard for the final levels.

Mirror mode: Presumably easy to implement so why not? Include it as a cheat.

Hard mode: More enemies, faster projectiles, fewer or no rings, ledges and bridges removed, a special ending. Make us suffer!

Sky Chase-esque level: Expand upon this S2 level, which had unfulfilled potential. Have the character control the plane (not run on top), shrink the airplane/character relative to the screen, let the character jump off the plane onto other platforms while plane continues to fly forward, add ability to hijack enemy vehicles, enable 2-player mode with each character having their own plane, add ability to shoot from plane (?).

Use an S3 multiplayer level: One of the remake levels could be an expanded version of an S3 multiplayer level. However, the level would have to be significantly improved as the originals were mostly generic.

Enable Knuckles and Tails to pair: Maybe enable any combination like Sonic Advance 3.

Remove Super Sonic: He detracts significantly from the gameplay, making it too easy. Instead, add an extra stage as a reward for gaining all chaos emeralds.

Integrate story-related events into the levels themselves: S3&K did this generally only between levels. For an example of what I mean, see the Contra games which adopt a rollercoaster design - one minute you're escaping a burning building, then hopping across traffic, then hanging onto a helicopter. This kind of approach restricts exploration, so it should be used on just a couple of levels.

Expand multiplayer significantly: Competitive and coop modes (split screen or online) for 4 players. For the coop mode, allow 2-4 players to play together through the whole game and ramp up difficulty significantly to make up for the additional help. For competitive mode, allow either a best of 5 approach like in S2 or a simple race like in S3.

Different title screen and theme song: Each character has their own title screen and theme song.

Options before the title screen: The format used in the Taxman/Stealth remakes, where the many options are presented before entering the game itself, should be used. This keeps the main game clean and simple, just like the originals.

4. markwelsh

markwelsh

Edit: site won't let me link it. The page is the first thing found when you search for Sonic Mania on google. Apologies.

https://www.vg247.com/2016/09/28/sonic-mania-hands-on-after-20-years-this-is-the-sequel-I've-always-wanted/

These previews truly make this game feel incredibly special for us as fans. It has has been way too long to see a game get such positive press. So excited for this game. Really am.

I like some of your ideas, not too keen on the idea of the removal of Super Sonic. Maybe change him up a bit, preferably activated via a different button and not the one song on loop every 5 seconds. If Tee Lopes is doing the music, let us hear his amazing work.

5. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    Frankly, I saw it in Google Images searching "sonic mania knuckles sprites", haha. Nothing spectacular.
    I like it too.

The link gives me a 404... do you have another?

6. markwelsh

markwelsh

Tried sharing the link again but it doesn't look like their site allows it. Looking up Sonic Mania on Google should lead to this being the first article. Essentially the author feels that this is the true Sonic 4 and feels Studiopolis is incredible.

This same author loves Sonic 3 and Knuckles more than Super Mario Bros. 3 and World!

7. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    You need to manually copy and paste the url to make it works...

But you can always use url shorteners, so here is the same link https://is.gd/Hp4c7Y

8. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    :specialed:

9. Cool article. One thing that I'm wondering and a direct question to tax/stealth...

How did you feel when SEGA wanted you to add past levels to the game... Was that an idea you guys had from the start or did SEGA really push that idea?

That's the ONLY thing I'm slightly concern about at this point, the rest looks bloody fantastic.

10. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Well he's probably not going to say SEGA are stupid for the decision is he :v:

Joking aside, the evidence points to that being SEGA's idea.

From his Twitter: "for the 25th anniversary Sonic Team wanted to celebrate the classic titles in a new and exciting way". That's the strongest confirmation we will probably get.

And to be honest, I've come to terms with the reimagined stages now. If we get to explore levels that haven't typically been revisited, such as HydroCity or the CD levels, that will be really cool.

I'm almost convinced Chemical Plant and Ice Cap will be in :v:

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Yes but they can't download yours :eng101:

12. Sure, but it's worth asking ;) I'm not bashing the concept, just generally interested whether it was an idea from the start or something SEGA pushed for. Maybe I worded it wrong.

I suppose I'm just concerned because I don't want to get my hopes up so much, only to find that half of the game is re-imagined levels.

That would be a shame for me, personally.

13. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DYIEDrLQJ4

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Someone got at the strong stuff again at SoA. =P

(Which substance exactly I leave up to the reader's imagination.)

15. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Hey, no problem! I also think that the game would be better if it was 100% original, and I'm sure the team would love to do that too. And I think at least 60% of the game will be reimagined, maybe even 70%. It is a shame, but let's focus on the positives. This will be, by far, the best Sonic title in 20 years. Let's savour what we are getting for now!

:specialed:

I'm just delighted at the concept of a great Classic Sonic game :)

16. EpochVoyager

EpochVoyager

I don't think I'll like this game now that the more rehashes than original levels thing was confirmed.

And I say that being really sad. The first red flag that made me think this way was when I saw that they were rehashing Green Hill for the ninth time(at least from what I can count). When you throwback to your origins for the first time it's nice and everything, but if you keep doing it every single game, it obviously loses it's "power", something that already is ever since the Advance games' rehashes. The second one was the Studiopolis music. I didn't like it at all. I know it's supposed to have the Saturn vibe and everything, but I just didn't like it. Big surprise, music is big thing when talking about Sonic games; and from the other songs that were revealed, all the music in the game will have this thing I don't like that I can't really grasp. The third one was the Studiopolis and the new part of Green Hill's excessively vertical level design and gimmicks(in Studiopolis case), which reminds me a lot of Sonic CD's, and I'm in the group of people that absolutely despise CD and it's level design(& Gimmicks). The final red flag I already talked about in the first phrase of this reply.

I really thought I was going to be hyped for the game like everyone, since it's a "new" Sonic 2D game being made with Tax and Stealth in the development team, but after seeing all that, I don't think I am, or that I'll like it for that matter. Probably though, most people will like it; but I just wanted to share my thoughts.

17. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I quite like how vertical Sonic Mania is, but it's not quite the same deal as Sonic CD. Sonic CD's time travel gimmick had strange side effects on objects in its stages. Springs were placed seemingly at random; they're there to help you maintain speed while you're attempting to travel through time. While that was great for time travel and exploration, it was a hindrance to speeding around however you want.

Sonic Mania doesn't have a time travel gimmick that I can see, so there's more breathing room to run and make deliberate changes of direction. It's going to take advantage of Sonic's physics in a way I haven't seen any of the games do before.

18. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    FTFY.

19. EpochVoyager

EpochVoyager

I was talking about the stage gimmicks, not the game's; and more specifically about the retroprojector in the middle of Studiopolis, and how similar in how it stops the flow of the gameplay it is with basically everything at the beginning of Collision Chaos Act 1.

20. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    The diagonal springs can help you if you hold right and were already going fast enough. I can't help agreeing, though. Most of the springs on the ground are more of an obstruction than a help, so I have to "camp" at certain spots in the stages where there are two springs facing each other.