don't click here

Sonic Mania Plus SPOILER THREAD with UNMARKED spoilers!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Harmony Friends, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    What's the point of having No Emeralds slots when the super transformation is mapped to a seperate button?

2. RikohZX

RikohZX

Isn't the character swap button mapped to the same button as Super Transformations?

3. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Those are totally icebergs in Angel Island's background. Ice Cap confirmed for act 2

4. CollectiveWater

CollectiveWater

Regarding "Door Into Summer": yeah, it'd be a rad reference/cool to hear, but personally I'd rather hear Tee's complete "Angel Island Act 1" (14 seconds was way too much of a tease). Full versions of both would be great, but that seems highly unlikely.

I know 99.9% of people here have heard this already, but for anyone that hasn't, and since "Plus" clearly is taking some inspiration from "Chaotix," seems apropos to link to Tee's rendition of "Door Into Summer." Wonderful work by Tee as always!

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yes, but I bet that only works on the ground while the Super Transformation works in the air.

6. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    So the Phantom Ruby is back eh? Cool, that's means we can consider it the Classic era Phantom Ruby and whatever Forces had to be some other gem I guess.

Just saying that virtual reality hologram mind fuckery is too convoluted for my taste.

7. RikohZX

RikohZX

Chaotix remixes would be nice perhaps, but I also wouldn't mind this getting a remix. Though if there's no real return of Tee for anything new, then I guess maybe not.

8. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    That's Jun Senoue's own account, not Crush 40 entirely.

What about Eggrobo in the seat for the bosses?

9. Drex

Drex

I think they would rather focus on the hard boiled heavies being the main bosses. regular eggrobos seem more like henchman

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    True but not THE S3K Eggrobo that fought Knuckles. It's unfortunate that that Eggrobo has no unique traits though, it'd be hard to tell.

judging from the famitsu shots, maybe the Magician is the new villain? I'd be ok with that.

Also completely random, but about Ray. His resurgence in the first place was due to Ken Penders of all people. Do we... do we owe him credit for bringing Ray back in the first place? Would anyone have remembered Ray if it weren't for the Archie comics?

11. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

No

I don't say this to be mean but I'm certain the reason Mighty and Ray got brought back was due to Taxman, Stealth, ect, being fans of Classic Sonic. Does not have anything to do with the Archie comic which I didn't read but I knew who Mighty and Ray were.

And if I were to be mean I could point out that Pender's credit card has long since been overdrawn and no establishment both worth their salt or Unworthy of said salt would take any credit from a worthless hack like him. He ruined a mildly successful comic in order to scam money out of Sega and Archie, enough said.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh believe me, I hate the man as much as anyone, but I'm just saying. Ray had a slight redesign to have blue shoes and that was an Archie trait. Ray's first appearance was in a Penders Knuckles issue. Sure Ray evolved beyond that but Penders actually brought him back.

The comic's had some influence on this thing, they had to if only for the design. And honestly at this point more people probably know Ray from Archie than they do from that one obscure arcade game (yes SegaSonic Arcade I know). Idk, maybe I'm just playing devil's advocate, but I can't help but wonder. I mean if Ray was never mentioned again post 1993, do we all think we'd still be here now? Mighty maybe, but Ray was an obscure character even pre Chaotix.

13. Vangar

Vangar

Super exciting! There's not many games that are given a 'rework' release that fixes all the small issues the fans had. HYPEEE

14. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

To that I ask: Did anyone on the Dev team read the comic? If not then bringing him back had nothing to do with said comic. Sure, there are the shoes but that just means the dev team did their homework.

To be frank, with or without the comic, it's a surprise Amy and Metal weren't chosen instead.

15. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Thought this was cute (unofficial fan art):

As for my own recent thoughts - the trailer was fucking awesome. A little let down about Angel Island but outside of that immensely hyped for Mania Plus. As many have said it's not often we get a re-worked and improved version of what was already a fantastic game as is so kudos to Sega for doubling down on Mania and designating it as its own franchise. A sequel or even this becoming a series seems inevitable at this point. And Christ by "Summer 2018" they really meant the heart of the Summer given it's releasing in July and thus closer on the horizon than we thought.

Can't wait to re-live the game all over again. Summer of Sonic indeed. Now all we need is the racing game unveiled and we're set for this year.

16. corneliab

corneliab

I'm not sure I understand? I imagine the devs just wanted to make a callback to the old Segasonic arcade game.

EDIT: Went back and saw the clarification a few posts above. Sorry but naw, Penders probably has nothing to do with anything here. Given what Mania is and what it's been able to do with its callbacks so far (like with Sonic the Fighters in particular), this really just seems as simple as the devs utilizing another similarly classic but niche game. Ray is in Plus because Mighty is and vice-versa, and they're a packaged pair as a Segasonic reference.

Even if Penders had never used Ray, Segasonic would still be an appropriate and especially ripe game to finally be acknowledged again in the way Mania Plus has done so.

...I really need to stop heavily workshopping my posts after the fact

17. Drex

Drex

We could always fanfic that the Heavy King in the one from S3K in essence or something.

I'd like to think that she is using the Phantom rubies power to amplify her magic in some ways. How far they'll take it I can't really say. I'm thinking that at least she will use its power to repair her comrades and warp reality in their favor (harder levels)

18. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    It's worth pointing out that Senoue made some minor contributions to Forces. He definitely did the guitar for Infinite's theme... contributed to a couple other compositions too iirc.

19. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    There's a new screenshot for Encore mode on the Japanese site for Mania, which shows off the bad-future version of Stardust Speedway (pretty sure this for act2) and looks gorgeous:

[​IMG]

Using the other time-periods from Stardust Speedway as a different aesthetic for Encore mode makes a lot of sense. Hopefully Sonic will travel to the bad future via a cutscene in Encore mode (like how he travels from the past to present in Mania-mode between acts 1&2).

I'm also pleased they've done this because I always felt it was a missed opportunity that the Metal Sonic boss fight in Mania mode doesn't take place in the future, which would have been a nod to the act3 boss fight in Sonic CD always taking place in the (good or bad) future.

They could be even more clever, in that if you've already collected all seven chaos emeralds Sonic will travel to the good future version in act2 of SS for Encore mode, and if he doesn't have all emeralds he'll travel to the (above) bad future version. Think of it as a nod to the time-stones.

20. RikohZX

RikohZX