don't click here

Sonic Mania Plus SPOILER THREAD with UNMARKED spoilers!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Harmony Friends, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    [​IMG]

THIS THREAD CONTAINS UNMARKED SPOILERS FOR SONIC MANIA PLUS AND THE UPCOMING SONIC MANIA PATCH. IF YOU DON'T WANT SONIC MANIA PLUS OR PATCH 1.04 SPOILERS, LEAVE THIS TOPIC NOW!

With the release of Famitsu's images, the PS4 update leak, and the full Famitsu article and the first trailer coming tomorrow, the current main Sonic Mania Plus topic is a wasteland of nothing but full posts in spoiler tags. It seems to me like it's the right time for a SPOILER THREAD.

I'm going to proceed to add a bunch of blank space here. Seriously, this is your last warning - don't scroll down if you don't want Sonic Mania Plus / patch 1.04 spoilers.

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

OK. Let's talk Sonic Mania Plus!

[​IMG]
    Famitsu released this extremely low-res image of the Sonic Mania Plus feature they are running in the issue releasing April 26th in Japan (tomorrow).
    It seems to confirm Angel Island to be playable in some form (second picture in the lower left shows a full HUD in Angel Island).
    Other levels are shown with altered palettes; GHZ is set at sunset, and what looks to be a nighttime Mirage Saloon in the 4-player competition mode (top right) seems to suggest at least some Encore Mode levels will be available for multiplayer.

It also looks like mix-and-match partners are MAYBE a thing? Some pictures look like they have 2 life icons, and Sonic and Ray are together in this other image Famitsu tweeted, that seems to possibly depict the Encore Mode intro?
    [​IMG]

For anyone who missed it, a seemingly incomplete version of the 1.04 patch that will enable access to the DLC leaked on PSN in Europe.
    In addition to the needed preparations to allow the purchase of the DLC, it also, for free, contains all the missing level transitions (though some are seemingly only partially finished),
    as well as a CRAZY new boss fight with Metal Sonic paying homage to Chaotix.
    [​IMG]

Also in the patch:
    - a fancy new menu.
    - new special game option: you can disable the level time limit.
    - special game options can now be enabled even on save files.
    - continues have been added back into save files.
    - Time Attack has a new in-game results screen.
    - Competition Mode can now be played at a normal aspect ratio with black bars on the sides.
    - Super Sonic has a complete sprite set now, as well as a new idle animation.
    - more?
    - Hyperkinetic Studios, a co-developer of the update and DLC, has been added to the splash screen.

We should get more details on at least some of this stuff (including a release date!) in the trailer releasing tomorrow...!
    [​IMG]

?

?

EDIT: Oh boy! I just found this in someone's 1.04 patch playthrough. Maybe someone said this before me, but I didn't know yet.
    For anyone who doesn't know, though! In case you were worried about Mania Plus being "farmed out"...
    [​IMG]
    This is in a separate section below the main Sonic Mania Development Team section of the credits.
    It's missing some credits from the previous section as well, so it's clearly not just double-counting people who already contributed to Mania.
    For example, the sole level designer for Sonic Mania Plus appears to be Brad Flick (makes sense that Encore Mode would need less level designers).

2. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Thank for the little recap on the news, they where a few things I didn't know yet
    I don't know what time it is in America but I think the trailer should drop in a few hours now…though I wonder if we'll have to talk about it here or in the other thread since it's gonna be official information and not a leak

3. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    It's a good thing I recorded the end-credits in my playthroughs of the 1.04 version because I knew you guys would want to look at them.

I'm thinking (and hoping) Mania Plus will have 13 fully playable zones. Obviously the original 12 but will some visual and level-design changes. Also, with Angel Island being a playable zone with two full acts.

I hope today's trailer shows off Angel Island. I'm so happy to see it appearing again in Mania. Especially with a Sonic 3 Remaster not happening at the moment, more Sonic 3 content being included is always welcome!

4. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Yes, thank you! My screen grab is from your video.

Also, that one news site, you know the one, is reporting on Twitter that the Famitsu article says the Plus DLC will release on July 19th for 500yen (suggesting a $5 USD price point). No sources cited, so take it with a small grain of salt, but I buy it. That's the price I was expecting, and that Famitsu issue is about to release, so the detas would be getting out.

We'll probably know for sure by the time I wake up tomorrow anyway, considering I'm still up at 3 AM!

EDIT: https://gematsu.com/2018/04/sonic-mania-plus-launches-july-19-in-japan
    It seems like Famitsu is specifically saying that date is for PS4 and Switch. Odd...

EDIT 2: oh wait I get it that's for the physical release. Makes sense that Japan isn't getting Xbox One physical.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    $5 is a totally reasonable and honestly expected price point for this extra content. You get 2 new characters, possibly a new level, a whole new game plus mode, which I'm very excited for btw because almost no Sonic games outside of oddly Sonic Heroes and Shadow (Kind of SA2 if you count hard mode levels) have a similar post game feature, and potentially more goodies like the ability to pick whatever partner you want (Some of those famitsu pics look like they have two character icons in the life slot, suggesting you can either switch back and forth or it's there to just show you who you're playing as. Either way some shots you can see Sonic following Ray and some you see Mighty following Sonic and possibly there's one of Sonic following Mighty (that scan is fucking awful), so something's up).

I really hope you're able to make whatever teams you want. That way every save file can be slightly different. But I love some of these quality of life improvements. The ability for the options menu to extend to save files, the ability to disable the time limit, showing your best time trial time in level instead of having a score tally pop up for no reason. I just can't get over how much I love that Sonic Mania Plus is a thing. It's Sonic Mania as you truly imagined it :v:

Btw any confirmation if they fixed that annoying Press Garden Act 2 music bug?

EDIT: Oh another change they made that I noticed while watching some videos of the most recent patch. The boss music for Hydrocity Act 1 now continues to play during the part after the cutscene when Sonic has to go through the collapsing platforms to reach the boss area.

6. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    TRAILER IS LIVE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUhuOwwD4n8

7. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    Trailer is out :
    [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUhuOwwD4n8[/media]

omg that scene at the end was so cute, someone need to make a wallpaper of it

8. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

New screenshots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    Are those mountains behind angel island ?
    I don't think these are clouds...

10. Felik

Felik

No those are clouds

Also thank god Ray's (and Mighty's) sprites don't look like shit.

11. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    But they're not here in Sonic 3
    [​IMG]
    And it look like they're into the water, instead of floating above it

12. Are the "visual changes" to Encore stages just palette swaps? Admittedly they do look cool, but it almost looks like we're regressing from Official Lovingly Crafted Fangame to Official Baby's First ROM Hack...

13. Felik

Felik

They are from Angel Island intro cutscene.

Most likely. They seem to be doing the whole "inspired by chaotix" thing.

14. Yeah I'm not sure either, we have no idea. We've seen so little that I can't tell what's different beyond the palettes. They look REALLY nice though, for what it's worth.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Awwwww I love how Knuckles and Mighty are like so happy to see each other again. Nice touch Tyson.

And so much goodness, I love the sprite work and I love how those moves look. Super Mario World Cape is a very nice idea for Ray, and Mighty's move honestly was completely unexpected, I thought for sure they'd of given him the wall jump from Chaotix.

Anyway, I love this, and July 17th isn't too far in the future. I can wait 2 1/2 months. As far as the palette swaps go though I mean what did you expect? Too drastic and it'd look weird, but if they did nothing it'd be boring. I think it's nice honestly, particularly for the older levels that we've seen in their exact form 1000 times. Although I'll admit Green Hill at Sunset has been done to death, even officially (Hi Splash Hill Zone and Sunset Hill in Sonic Advance 3).

16. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    The new palettes/color schemes for the Encore mode stages look gorgeous. The purple hues for Mirage Saloon look really nice in particular.

Ray seems to control like Mario's cape powerup from Super Mario World, and also looks like he can recurl into a ball after performing it. Looks pretty neat, pretty sold and definitely makes for good contrast against Knuckles' glide/Tails' flight; has a lot of playful aerial mobility.

Mighty meanwhile has a hard ground pound move. Seems to operate like a permanent secondary Bubble shield move; hoping there's more to it than this, he's coming off as more of palette swap of Sonic. I did catch a screenshot of Angel Island (either from the 1.0.4 leak or the Famitsu interview) and there was an opening underneath, so it can apparently break through hard barriers from underground? That's good, but I'll need to see more of him.

The last screenshot in the elevator is great. Really love Mighty and Knuckles grinning at each other (Chaotix nod!), while Tails is more perplexed at Ray crammed next to him. :v

July 17th is actually a pretty good date for release IMO. It's relatively quiet as of this writing (mostly multiplatform / re-releases such as Crash N.Sane and Captain Toad); and it's not June (which has a bunch of releases) or August (which is just before September, a bloodbath of major releases; and also what I would had said too far away from the initial Plus announcement).

Mania Plus being $5 DLC for existing owners (mentioned by the PR) is fantastic.

Will honestly buy the DLC for my Steam copy and a retail copy (presumably for Switch). Really hope the retail release boosts Mania's overall sales immensely.

17. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    But it's the first "Green Hill" @ sunset that's been done officially that's not Megamix :D

18. RikohZX

RikohZX

From what I can guess in the bare glimpses of level layout, the Encore Mode stages seem to be the same layouts but looked to have more enemies. So probably really item/enemy placement changes, while the new patch itself will add extra routes as evidenced for the Mighty ground pound.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Actually not even. Some of the challenge acts in Green Hill in Generations were set at sunset :v:

I like how Tails' expression in the elevator is just like "who the fuck are these people" while Knuckles just seems in shock that Mighty's still alive.

20. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

A few more screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mania Plus is looking awesome.