don't click here

Sonic Mania has too much replay value?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Djsterdude, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Advance 3 tried. There was some shortcuts and hidden goodies that only certain team types could get.

Agree with the rest of the post, though.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It really does. There was a perfectly serviceable Sonic Mania topic already.

It's really disheartening to see genuine, interesting research be pushed down the board by "I like xxx" and "I don't like yyy". Think what could be achieved if the energy spent writing essays was put into wiki work!

3. Look, man, I'm new to this whole forum thing, but I'm pretty sure this entire website was not intended to be ONLY historic research about Sonic. I'm fairly certain it's meant to be a place just to kickstart conversations and what not, but if Sonic Retro is a HISTORICAL DISCUSSION ONLY website, then exuuuuuusssse me.

4. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Retro isn't exactly the best place for conversations in general outside of fan modding and/or amatuer game development. That said, your argument that there should be less content in Sonic Mania due to your own subjective dislike for the added characters isn't a solid one. Sure there could be more paths for Mighty and Ray but as other have pointed out, Encore Mode more than makes up for that. Something else which isn't brought up is how Ray is essentially the king of Speedrunning now.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JkRvAakjO0

Like I said before, if you aren't having fun then just stop playing.

5. I'm all for more characters being added other than Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. The problem is that Mighty and Ray don't have much going for them in the campaigns. Mighty literally has only one exclusive path in Mania mode, and maybe two in Encore, and Ray doesn't have anything new. If you want to add new characters, give them worthwhile content, and they didnt do that, so in that regard, I feel they shouldn't be there in the first place. And like I said before, just saying "if you're not having fun stop playing" is not a valid arguement. I'm able to play through the campaigns in S3&K back to back with no issue thanks to the HUGE amount of diversity between each campaign, but since all the campaigns in Mania are so similar to each other, it gets boring trying to do the same thing. You're right, I can stop playing. But if I'm able to keep playing through everything nonstop in S3&K, I should be able to in Mania, and in that regard Mania is flawed.

6. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    And your solution to this is to remove them entirely?
    Mighty has spike invincibility as well making him defacto easy mode character and as I mentioned before, Ray is the speedrunning king (which you would know if you spent some time in the Time Trial mode). If you don't enjoy either of those, that is on YOU. It's not an objective statement which is why nobody takes you seriously. Removing them entirely is NOT a solution especially when that would ruin Encore mode which relies on characters as lives.

YOU are forcing yourself to play extra characters. Stop pretending as though you don't have free will. Compulsively playing a video game is a mental illness. This isn't up for debate.
    Except your ENTIRE ARGUMENT is to remove those characters. Not make them better but to REMOVE THEM. Nevermind that myself and others have played the game multiple times with all characters without your specific subjective emotional problem. It's like you're pinching yourself but refuse to stop on the flawed basis that the given action should be fun and instead of stopping, your solution is to cut off the two fingers you are using to pinch (leaving the three fingers that aren't). Just stop pinching yourself.

7. Just because they have their own abilities doesn't immediately make them diverse campaigns. The reason Knuckles campaign in S3&K is so different is because of his unique pathways and boss fights that require the use of said abilities. Mighty and Ray don't have any of that. I'm not completely saying remove Mighty and Ray. I, for one, love the two characters and Ray's probably my favorite classic character period. But if the devs weren't gonna put in the effort to make Mighty and Ray's campaigns unique, they might as well have never bothered.

8. Here's the sticking point. Since Mighty and Ray (and Encore Mode, but I'll get to that in a second) were added later, the game was already finished. Sure, they could have retroactively changed more parts of the level design around, but they didn't. Maybe it was time restraints, Maybe it was lack of money, Maybe they wanted the levels to be consistent to the earlier version, they just didn't.

Encore Mode, however, was a place where they did tweak a lot of things in minor ways, and they have added a tiny bit more. And they could have loaded more exclusive paths for the two new characters, but let me describe a scenario that may happen to a player.

-Player is currently controlling Mighty through an area exclusive to him.
    -Player either dies or hits an item that swaps characters. What's important is that the player is now stuck as someone else.
    -Player can't proceed forwards and is either forced to reset, or at the very least backtrack.

That doesn't sound like much fun, and since the Encore Mode's level design has to account for you being any combination of characters and still be able to make forward progress, they couldn't have lengthy "Character only" stretches like they did in Sonic 3&K's zones. Just look at some of the Knuckles-only areas in Mania Mode, and compare them to their Encore Mode couterparts, and you'll see added platforms to make it accessible to everyone in case this happens.

I bet if they make a Mania follow-up that includes more characters past the core Sonic/Tails/Knuckles in the base game, they'd have time to plan better sections for the extra characters, but at the same time, we all know that things can be cut during development.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Ugh. OK, I think this topic has run its course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.