don't click here

Sonic Mania Adventures

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by LukyHRE, Mar 30, 2018.

1. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    I am open to the idea of a hand drawn look, but it would need to be consistent with the established classic aesthetic, with anime influences. If they did this, and it ended up just like Rayman -- sort of highly stylized, but not true to the feel of the classics -- I would be SO so so so disheartened, and basically feel like Sega ruined Sonic again. And at that point I might just finally throw in the proverbial towel.

Probably major magnet is a really good approximation of how the classic style could successfully evolve, but hopefully less flash-esque. Sonic 2 HD might seem like the logical comparison, but it would be interesting to see their technique applied to Studiopolis. Because aesthetics, and music for that matter, are so subjective, I am highly skeptical Sega could pull it off themselves. These concepts are well beyond their capability. I don't know why they don't just pay some super-fan $70,000 a year to oversee these various aspects and lore. You would think that would be peanuts for a company like Sega and their flagship IP.

2. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

The airbrushed rendering on Sonic 2 HD's character sprites were a nice approach, I thought. I would personally love to a 2D sonic game that took the Ubiart engine approach of painted assets that blend together to hide any obvious tile sets. Tile sets are one of those things that work great in pixel art but once more fully rendered they start to scream "copy and paste", imo. Which I think is why Wario Land fell apart visually for me.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yeah... Now that the Classic style is finally back in the games after all this time, I also hope that it stays just like this for a long time.

On the other hand, spinoffs with a different style, sure why not.

4. Linkabel

Linkabel

I also hope they keep the shorts going after the 5-episode run. When Mickey Mouse got the new shorts treatment on their YouTube channel a couple of years ago I always thought that would be perfect for Sonic too.

Now, Mania Adventures fulfills that role but it would be cool that if they keep going that they'll show the characters in non-game situations.

I don't know how to explain it other than "Sonic The Screensaver: The series." In those illustrations you see them on vacation, having races in airplanes, concerts, hiking, playing soccer etc etc.

It's definitely not the popular choice since I know people want a more game/action-oriented series but let me dream (just give me some Christmas/Halloween episodes though).

5. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    The thing I loved about the Screensaver pics is that some of the pictures still had that (now proceed to fail to explain it) "neon 90's VR techno SEGA "sharper than a cyber razor cut" 'Sonic CD Good Future'" feel to it at times, which would be great to see in Mania Adventures as well.
    The Sonic OVA had this kind of vibe as well, especially when the gang reached Eggmanland and there's something about it I love.

Not that there isn't a ton of things the gang can do on Angel Island, but I am hyped to see the possibilities for future locations!

6. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    I'll throw out a slight criticism concerning the last episode, probably its misplaced... But one thing that stuck out to me like a sore thumb was how incredibly bland Robotnik's drilling machine appeared. It sort of looks unfinished.

[​IMG]

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'd say it looks as complex as a Sonic 1 machine.

8. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

Maybe it's just the lack of any two-tone shading on the drill arms? I guess something that metallic should be giving off a bit of a glare or light-reflection in that sunshine. Either way though I'd say it does the job and isn't so much of an issue in motion.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hmm yeah, perhaps they could add some simple shadow rims to the inanimate objects at least... although that would increase the work hours and there's probably not enough budget to afford that.

10. Felik

Felik

Mech looks like a cell-shaded 3D model to me

11. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

I see people draw comparisons occasionally between Mania Adventures and the youtube Mickey Shorts, and let's just say... I know how much the budget is for those Mickey Shorts. I know what the budget is in general for TV-quality animation, I've worked in Hollywood/Burbank for several years now.

We're accomplishing miracles with what we have.

12. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Certainly my criticism was a nitpick. I'll say this, they nailed the proportions. Consider how miniscule Robotnik has been relative to his egg-o-matic contemporaneously. That's always been a thorn in my side, and just another one of the countless oversights/deliberate-choices Sega has made which has rendered Sonic inauthentic in my view. Issues like this are why I'm convinced Sonic Team are not capable of adequately sheparding the IP, but the Mania Team get this!

[​IMG]

13. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

I mean, it's fine to nitpick don't get me wrong. We're all Sonic fans here after all.

14. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

"I mean, what are we to believe, that this is a magic Egg-Mobile, or something? Ha ha, boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder."

[​IMG]

(I got nothing but love)

15. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
  16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Episode 3 is out tomorrow everyone!

17. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    Yay! Wonderful news. Will update the thread title :) thanks for the heads up!

18. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    New episode is up my dudes

edit: it seems like they're gonna tie it up with the beginning of Encore mode, look like it at least

19. CollectiveWater

CollectiveWater

Another great episode. Loved the entire sequence from 1:15-1:32 of Knuckles whaling on the Rhinobots--funny and beautiful animation. Kudos to the whole team for their great work.

20. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    1.) Doing his job.
    2.) Punching badniks.
    3.) Using deductive reasoning to come to a sensible conclusion.

Best animated Knuckles.

I wonder if they will get through the remaining two episodes before Plus' July 17th release. They seem to be releasing each episode at the end of each month, so maybe not.