don't click here

Sonic Maker

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lapper, Apr 20, 2010.

1. AeroGP

AeroGP

Los Angeles, CA
    Sonic for GameMaker: Studio
    This has the potential to become a great level editor. Keep up the good work!

2. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Thanks for the great support everyone!

I have some announcements (things now completed for version 2):
    - I have completed the loading functionality
    - I have disabled application framework (I think this will mean no need for .NET framework 4)
    - I have made some tender graphical interface changes due to the framework lack, like the tabs are buttons, the bottom items have a grey background etc...
    - I will also make some functionality changes like making a click and drag function for adding tiles and objects

All building up to the working release of Sonic Maker :thumbsup: .

3. WOOT! Then I will get to truly test this for real!

4. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I don't think disabling the application framework will instantly make it use .NET 3.5, since your project will still target .NET 4.0 unless you tell it otherwise.

In VB2008 Express, this is in the Project Properties, Compile, Advanced Compile Options, Target framework (all configurations).

5. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Wow, thanks. I wonder how you found that in the first place. I can add back the frame work (but I still like the slightly-new UI).
    Now I just need to add more objects.

The best way for Sonic Maker to work would be an online showcase for games, where you can make and play the levels, a bit like Play Sega, but I don't want to copy it.

6. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Anyone want to witness sonic maker in its youth, here I have the very first Sonic Maker ever made...
    It is made in GM7 (Exe'd in GM8), and hardly works, I was just trying to get all systems go (I never did).

Bear in mind this was before I'd even heard of Visual Basic, but was still going at the beginning of S2HD. It soon died.
    After that a gave it another go and it became what this topic is all about.

SONIC MAKER v0.1

PS: The reason there have not been many updates lately is because I have something very special in store, but it might take a while to do it, keep on your toes.

7. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    This is a treble post. But I have an announcement, and its been a hell of a while ago since this topic was last looked at.

The next version of Sonic Maker will load its tiles form folders. So it will be possible to add your own tiles. It wont be efficient, since you will have to draw the masks in paint. Version 4 will have the tile editor and a brand new engine.

So if you want to work really hard, custom tiles will be available in the next version.

8. AeroGP

AeroGP

Los Angeles, CA
    Sonic for GameMaker: Studio
    So... what's the progress on this?

9. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Big, huge things have been done to Sonic Maker. Mahoosive things in fact.

[​IMG]
    What?

Yes... That is Sonic Maker now.

Don't you fear! It is 2 times easier to use than v2, an also lets you do a ton more than v2. Here is a short... info.. thing~

~Tile Placement:

Now tile placement is made much easier! You still effectively scroll through a list, but you use the simple mouse wheel.
    Oh no! I have no mouse wheel! No fear, you can use the A/S keys instead, just effective.

Now some one kindly helping me with this didn't like the fact you can't see the next tiles you will select, so you could be scrolling the wrong way.
    After considering that, I introduced the helpful visual list at the bottom.

[​IMG]
    You can't interact with this list, It just lets you see the next 5 tiles, making things much faster.

Custom Tiles are fully supported in this version of Sonic Maker.

Object placement works in the same sort of way, easy, simple and effective. Also, hovering the mouse over an object gives you its name... thats nice now, isnt it?

But there is more...

~Collision Placement:

You place your collision while you construct the level.

Huh? Collision placement? That'll take forever! Actually, there is a feature that allows you to lock certain collision shapes into a tile, and it will forever hold those shapes, every time you place it. In other words, you set the collision directly to tiles, and they'll automatically place the correct collision shapes when the tiles are placed.

But WHY?
    Now, once I came to the concept of custom tiles I came across a problem. Say you made a large block.. mad out of 9 256px blocks. If the collision was set individually for each tile, there would be 9 objects more than needed. If you add then while constucting the level, you can stretch one over the entire block.

It's a lag saver basically.

[​IMG]
    As you can see from this small edited image, you have many options for the shapes, and 3 shapes.

You draw these shapes like you'd draw a rectangle in paint, click and drag, I have found this very easy to use myself.

~Engine:

I hope no one thought that Sonic Maker edited real Sonic games, because no, it doesn't.

v2/v1.5/v1.2 of Sonic Maker used an edited version of 'Damizean & Rougeyoshi's Xmas Gift Engine'.

This one won't.
    This version of Sonic Maker will use a faster, more powerful and most importantly much, much more accurate.

The changing of engines new engine is what allows the addition of custom Tiles, it's got a very flexible collision... thing.
    Oh, and I'm not making it.

~Overall Stuff:
    Overall, this version of Sonic Maker will allow you to properly, and MUCH 'easier-ly' create your own game.

EXCITED?

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Damn, this looks much better than SonED. Looks easier to use

11. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Looks scrum-diddly-umptious. :)

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Looks like sex mate.

13. HELL YES I AM!! :D:D:D Awesome work!!

14. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    My todo list:

Finish Tile Scrollbar
    —Give it a smooth sorta scrolling effect, instead of just swapping for the next one.
    Copy For Objects
    —The object editor needs a scrolling list aswell, just as effective.
    Add Selection Options
    —If you hold control, click and drag, you can select objects, depending on what editor you're in. All you can do at the moment is delete. I want copy, cut and just
    —for collsion, change what type of shape it is (what platform, what layer).
    Add Zoom For Main Editing
    —I can't actually add zoom, I don't think, but I can add a small window which shows a zoomed in view following the mouse.
    Add Tile Maker (not what you think)
    —The tile maker that you might have seen on the Sonic Maker youtube channel has been scrapped, in favour of the new collision placement system. What I am
    —talking about, is adding tiles to the tile list within Sonic Maker, the whole point of it is to make the entire game inside it.
    Add Layout Size Options
    —Options to change the level size, basically...
    Add BG Parallax Maker =)
    —Oh yes! Every Sonic game needs parallax backgrounds, and so should yours!
    —This will allow you to import 1 image, the size of the view, or wider, and let you slide sliders, to seperate the image into up to 20 slices, and you can set the
    —scrolling properties of each section.
    —Simples!
    Sprite Editor
    —Hmm. After all I learnt making 'Doodle Pad' in GM (Can be found on GMC, if sounds interesting), I can now easy create painting programs, and to take
    —advantage of that, you will be able to customise nearly all the sprites in the games you make.
    Music Import
    —Of course.
    Physics Change
    —Not all people want perfect Genesis physics, although most do, so I will make it possible for people to change the following:
    ----Accelleration
    ----Deacceleration
    ----Friction
    ----Jump height
    ----Jump limit
    ----Jump limitation
    ----Gravity
    ----Top speed
    —..I might have missed stuff, but oh well.
    Animation Speeds Change
    —Yeah, animation speed changing.

This is added to my previous post, and in a second, the main one.

And I hope I don't regret posting, someone, make sure you reply.

15. Max Firestorm

Max Firestorm

Pyrodramatic Member
    ...You owe me money to wash my pants. Jesus Christ that is sex.

16. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    HOLY SHIT!
    This is awesome. Not just awesome, but fucking awesome. Too bad few programs like this work in Wine D:
    Are you still planning on an online gallery? If so, I could help you with programming that. But seriously. Nice work. You deserve a cookie the size of New Jersey.

17. The sheer amount of customizing you are doing is AMAZING.

This is gonna be SWEET.

18. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    It's also got an entirely different purpose.

But yeah, I'm loving this.

19. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Would it be possible....possible to have custom gimmicks or objects in the future?

20. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    That's something you would have to program in Game Maker

...unless he incorporates some kind of scripting language in a way that translates it into GML for the Sonic Maker Player GML engine. On second thought, it might not be something you would have to do in Game Maker.