don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I never said this was going to make the game unfun. My point was that out of all changes made to this entry in the series, that was the only major gameplay change that felt very un-Sonicy to me. Many 2D platformers for example, gave you a run button which gave players the option to go into two different speeds. One of the unique aspects of the Sonic series since the very first Sonic game was how Sonic progressively ran faster which helped make Sonic stand out against its competition. Since then, every console Sonic platformer to come out since the first game allowed gamers to run progressively faster just by moving the dpad or analog stick. Sonic Lost World changes that, but I don't view that as a bad thing. It's more difficult to have that mechanic work in a 3D environment so moving that functionality to a run button makes a lot of sense. However, instead of having the run allow you to progressively go faster, you immediately gotta go fast which makes a long lived mechanic in the franchise seem completely abandoned in this game. As for how fun I think this game looks, Sonic Lost World is shaping up to be a great game and I'm hoping it'll be even better than Sonic Generations. However, I have no intention of getting a Wii U so it might be a long time before I'm able to play it.

2. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Yeah, I can't speak for the gameplay having not played it, but I can't take complaints that this game's aesthetic is too Mario-like and different for the series seriously when Sonic 1 and 2 were well littered with unnatural and simple geometric shapes and patterns bathed in loud colors. The only way they could've possibly screamed "simple 3D objects" more is if they put in a teapot.

3. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I thought that happened way back in 2005 when Sonic Rush was introduced and later Unleashed made the concept popular...

4. Willie

Willie

Boosting never took away that aspect from the games, it simply just added a feature not seen in the previous games. You could still progressively run faster without boosting. Sonic Unleashed got rid of the spindash though.

5. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Yes it did because the zones are designed to go through with boost, in the same way the spindash was an irreversible alteration to gameplay and level layout.

Have you ever gone through Modern Green Hill 100% without boost? It's unun and long, specially the large corridors of nothing. His 'slow speed' is similar to Sonic 1 running speed, which wasn't that fast so it makes platforming more enjoyable.

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    They pretty much did, cause why wouldn't you use the boost? It wasn't just an "added feature", it changed the modern Sonic gameplay entirely from being platformers in which you can go fast to racing games with platforming. Like Master Emerald said, the modern Sonic levels were designed around it. It completely took away that aspect from the game, because if you didn't use the boost they just weren't fun to play. Modern Sonic controls pretty bad at slow speeds in Unleashed and Generations

7. Willie

Willie

So I decided to play through all of the Modern Sonic levels in Sonic Generations without boosting (except in rare occasions where I hit the button by accident). I actually found all of the levels pretty fun and speedy without boosting. Out of all the stages, Green Hill Zone suffers the most from not boosting since it's such a linear stage for the non-2D sections. The only section in those levels that pretty much required boosting to not get hurt was the last part of the truck section in City Escape. I don't really understand why they got rid of the ability to go progressively faster in Sonic Lost World. It didn't seem like a necessary removal when they could've just better incorporated it into the new run button.

8. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Yes, that is true. This game does draw upon Sonic 1, 2, and CD stylings a heck of a lot. However, I feel that's a step backwards aesthetically. There's been 20 years of style refinement from each of the eras since then, and simply going straight back, not redefining and updating it (like in Colors/Generations) to modernize while remaining true, feels like Mario. It's why I hate New Super Mario Bros series' aesthetic, and I'm not enjoying 3D Land/World either. The art direction becomes almost incestual.

9. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Well opinions then. Anyway the answer is in 3D. Lost World has 3D platforming, more than Generations did. You can already see how lackluster the 2D modern sonic plaforming is, it gets worse on the Sonic Adventure that were ported by retro members.

I have to play the game to feel how fast or how slow it and if I think it's good or not.

Until now I only have seen crappy players.

10. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    But art is subjective. :psyduck:

+ - Also, "incestual" probably doesn't mean what you think it means.  

11. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    No, he's using correctly. Culturally, incenstual is used in the same sense as self-cannibalizing. He means the game instead of referencing new things and elements for its design, and thus innovate in aesthetics, references Sonic games themselves, and thus is like a snake biting its tail.

Not giving my opinion about either way, just clearing the linguistics.

12. KeebeeNacho

KeebeeNacho

WORM BAGGED Member
    USA
    I'm drawing something, not that you'll ever see it.
    I dunno about you guys, but when I say this game looks like Mario, I mainly have things like this in mind.

[​IMG]

13. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    Don't shoot me guys, but I'm still sitting here wondering why Green Hill Zone is the first level of this game. Yup.

14. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    This may come as a surprise, but Green Hill is actually the first level of many Sonic games, including Sonic 1, Sonic 1 GG, Sonic Generations, Sonic Blast, Sonic 2, Sonic Pocket Adventure, Sonic 4 Episode 1, Sonic 3D, Sonic Heroes, Sonic CD, Sonic Rivals, and Sonic Chaos.

15. darkspines35

darkspines35

It's Easy Actually. No, seriously. Tech Member
    .V.
    Sanik Adevnt Casters
    Found some more screens of the NiGHTS DLC I haven't seen here in the thread. Spoiler'd for size.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Since it seems like this didn't get much attention, here's a 60fps video of the game: http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_sonic_lost_world_gc_gameplay-30604_en.html

I know I'm late with this, but there being no music is normal. It's a b-roll, meaning this is meant to be used for trailers and such. You can notice that footage from this was used in the Summer of Sonic trailer.

17. Watching the no music video again, they really are mostly just using Classic Badnik enemies.

Not that I'm complaining, but it's strange to see literally all the enemies from Mushroom Hill in that wood area.

18. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    And classic sound effects, expecting Sonic's jump.

19. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Looks like a mix of both old and new badniks to me, though it does seem like there's more old than new.

20. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Even though they're using old badniks and chibi-fying them, I actually like a good amount of the new badnik designs. A load of them seem to be larger than others which is cool, and can pose a good challenge. They also seem to be enemies that /actually pose a threat/ finally! With the addition of Sonic's new moves (as in THE KICK}, it's pretty cool how they made some enemies have a method for properly destroying them, like the new spider enemies. Along with that, some badniks are now sort of part of the stage; presumably invincible and will hurt you if you don't play correctly. That's what was cool about Unleashed -> Generations stages, in that the stage itself, in a lot of ways, was out to kill you. Now this also seems to be true but with more of a focus on the badniks as stage objects, making Eggman's robots not feel like complete useless wastes of scrap. The new design philosophy makes them more of an obstacle than a fly you can easily swat. Actually, recently they were more akin to rings that damage you if you don't attack them, since especially in Generations they were just boost fodder.