don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Yes, the 60fps video does make it look smoother, but I don't believe it quells any of the problems I've stated before.

If this were a movie, it would be the equivalent of watching several extended trailers and cast interviews only for me to find the film they're trying to promote missing the point of the movie franchise, and probably wouldn't see it in theatres. You're asking me to still see it in theatres despite my opinion of the promotion. If the marketing department can't sell a new movie to at least a significant portion of the existing fanbase, their conveyance is flawed or the content is flawed. Lost World feels like it's got a bit of both going on. I can't get into it from what I've read and seen. Again, if and when a demo kiosk comes to my local Gamestop or Best Buy (as I don't have a Wii U for a potential demo) I may end up liking it after trying it for myself. But as of now, nothing I've been able to consume pre-play is making me like it compared to the previous gameplay styles of Sonic.

2. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I was originally agreeing with these statements about how it looked too Mario-ish, but I guess as more stages have been shown, I'm getting much more of a Sonic CD (Silent Forest) and Saturn-era (Frozen Factory) vibe from this game's environments, so I find it kind of surprising to hear people say it looks so much like Mario whenever Sonic hasn't looked so 'SegaSonic'-y in a long while.
    I also don't know why some people think the Unleashed/Generations model doesn't fit this environment, I think that it (especially with its new animations) fits like a glove.

As for the gameplay, I know some people would rather just saying its miming the Galaxy games, but I genuinely find this variety and heavy usage of new ideas and platforming elements to be a breath of fresh air that I hope continues to happen in games even past this. The only thing I could really hope for past this game is something a bit more grounded in level design; and that's mostly because I miss slopes and loops being more than just aesthetic. I think the lack of slopes and loops that act like they're supposed to in a usual Sonic game is the main reason this feels so foreign, and otherwise it wouldn't feel so far off from what I'd want in a Sonic game.

I guess my hopes have just really rose in recent time. Totally digging the NiGHTS DLC, and pretty stoked for how this game is handling the story, script, and character interactions, since that seems notably higher quality than before.

3. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I don't want to fuel the "Mario Galaxy 3" comments, but Iizuka just linked to this trailer on his Facebook, and...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqWToy_FBhE&nomobile=1

Japanese Sonic may or may not clearly say "yahoo!" in a very Mario way in the first 20 seconds. :v: We also get to hear new bits of Windy Hill (it's parts of the song I haven't heard at least). For the most part this is the same trailer we've seen, but I feel like there's a few odd snippets of new footage. Also oddly red dude's laugh at the end is the American one.

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles look too different from Sonic 1 & 2
    Sonic 3D Blast looks too different from Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    Sonic Adventure looks too different from Sonic 3D Blast
    Sonic Adventure 2 looks too different from Sonic Adventure
    Sonic Heroes looks too different from Sonic Adventure 2
    Shadow the Hedgehog looks too different from Sonic Heroes
    Sonic 2006 looks too much like Sonic 2006
    Sonic Unleashed/Colours/Generations look different enough from Sonic 2006
    Sonic Lost World looks too different Sonic Unleashed/Colours/Generations

5. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Sonic game looks "too" different from its predecessor: It's shit.

New Super Mario Bros. U looks exactly the same as New Super Mario Bros. Wii: It's ALSO shit! :specialed:

6. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Let me describe the way I felt for all the Sonic gameplay style changes I was able to be with during their relevant promotion:

Sonic Heroes: "Oh boy, no more mech and treasure hunting sections! More Sonic! Yay!"
    Sonic '06: "These mach sections look pretty neat, I guess..."
    Sonic Unleashed: "Holy crap, Sonic Rush in 3D with some new moves for more speed! Neat!"
    Sonic Colors: "Yay, Unleashed without Werehog! No more grinding or slowing down for hours!"
    Sonic Generations: "Refined Unleashed gameplay with a nostalgia bonus!"
    Sonic Lost World: "So it's mostly Colors challenge acts with a Mario paintjob...?"

I don't feel like it's pumping me up the way the other ones have. Maybe part of it is because I'm older, maybe Sonic doesn't have a pit to climb out of anymore. But this is the first time in a very long time that I have not been pumped for the next change in Sonic gameplay. I'm just not feeling the hype like all those other games.

7. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    The only aspect to this game that looks very un-Sonicy to me is the lack of momentum based gameplay. While I like having ZR as a run button, I don't like how that button allows Sonic to run instantly fast like in most platformers as opposed to having him to run progressively faster. There are other clear Mario influences like having the timer count down in seconds, aspects of the level design, and how the springs function oddly similar to the travel star things from the Galaxy games, but none of those things really go against the most basic premises behind the Sonic series that have been with every main Sonic game since the Genesis days.

8. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Cause a Sonic game has never allowed you to instantly go fast with the press of a button.

9. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Obviously it's a totally different mechanic if you have to press one button than if you have to press a button and down on the D-Pad.

10. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    He's done that before in other games.

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Preordered the WiiU version, now I know Deadly Six Edition is on all copies, not specific retailers. Played enough of it at SoS to know I'll like it.

Might buy the 3DS one on launch depending on how many levels are different to the WiiU version.

12. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    Here, have 30+ minutes of Sonic Lost World 3DS footage from Gamescom. (Warning: The player is pretty bad throughout the Windy Hill levels.)

But wait! That's not all! Have some more Wii U footage too! (No music, though. lolSega. :ruby: )

13. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    I can understand not knowing how to play the game, but completely disregarding some of the tooltips that are placed everywhere because people are morons...goddamn that irks me.

3DS version does have a bit of the wonky jump and suffers from and "Dimps physics" but I can't say it looks all that shabby. Especially after how Generations 3DS was incredibly subpar.

14. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Ever worked in IT?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2FB1P_Mn8

15. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Not in the way a traditional run button works.

16. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Hmm exactly yes as a run button does, because you can never reach boost speed without boost. Sonic does accelerate in Lost World but less than Generations.

17. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    ....I don't think he accelerates in Lost World.

TimmiT: You do realize that this is more of what feels like a spinoff title being marketed as a core game, right? It's saying this is the direction Sonic's going. Like I said, this isn't a shit game as I see it, but it's so stark different and takes a way a ton of what the series stood for for a while that it really feels like if you replaced the main character with your very own, people wouldn't be calling you out on ripping off Sonic. This WOULD be the case in Generations or the classic titles (only cuz Unleashed kept a good amount of the core elements from the original games and is now a well established game; same goes for Galaxy feeling a lot like how Lost World is NOW.)

So yah :v

18. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Yes he does because otherwise he would just start moving at max walking speed instead, he even changes from walking to 'running' without pressing the run button. The peel out animation though only appears when you press the run button.

I'm thinking about getting a Wii U just for this and colors

19. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    So it's not a slight alteration on how the traditional run button works. You're right this no longer makes the game fun and is a pretty big fucking deal.

20. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Pre-ordered the game! It's been a while since I did this for a Sonic game last, I think it was Gems Collection... this has got me pretty excited to be honest. I'm so happy with the style of the game, and it looks really fun. I'm a huge fan of the classic games and the style of them, and this looks like a great continuation of that style too.

Plus I need a new Wii U game anyway.