don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Generations 3DS looked worse in it's earlier incarnations- uncurling and less detail in the environments were the most notable game-wise changes (and of course there was the early version of Big Arm too). The final product was still shit on the whole mind you. Lost World 3DS looks a bit bland compared to it's Wii U conterpart, but at least it looks like it's on the right tracks. And the 3D effect definitely won't go amiss this time if this screenshot is anything to go by:
    [​IMG]

2. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Gonna backtrack here for a second.

>1996

Its been quite a long time since then Gene, I'm sure that pretty much any and all staff save for a few select people have left or retired since then and new staff have come in. any kind of bad blood or whatever that was with Xtreme probably left with them too. it really isn't soo crazy to think that a newer Sonic Team would consider using Xtreme assets as insperation seeing as all they are doing is rotting in the bowels of the internet for historic sake. and I don't think it would be embarrasing for them to say "yeah we were inspired by Xtreme for some parts of Lost World".

3. I knew that, I just meant that I thought Generations 3DS looked like it would be a decent-quality, fun game when I first saw it, and it really wasn't in the end despite the few improvements they made over the course of the game's development (in my opinion at least), which really disappointed me. I'm being cautiously optimistic here, since DIMPS titles have generally been a bumpy ride for me and most of the Nintendo handheld Sonic games have been developed by them, not to mention the same thing happened with Sonic 4.

Basically what I'm hoping for is for the 3DS version to attempt to at least sort-of closely emulate the Wii U version of the game, gameplay/level-design-wise. That's what I originally wanted from Generations 3DS and those hopes were crushed early on, and even though I suspected it could still be good as a 2D platformer (which it obviously wasn't) I was willing to give it a chance. I'm willing to give this one a chance too even after being repeatedly taught that that's not a very rewarding endeavour... But I guess the console versions of Colours and Generations changed my expectations enough for my hopes to carry over to a 3D handheld game.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Ah right, well fair enough. There's some 3DS footage coming tomorrow courtesy of IGN. I, for one, am interested. It's the first time we'll have seen a 3D portable Sonic game, and I the first 3D Sonic game by Dimps. I wonder if they'll get things right this time?

5. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Wasn't Unleashed Wii/PS2 made by Dimps? Considering how barren the actual stage design (as in, where you can go and what reacts with you) was half the time, that doesn't paint a prrtty picture for me. But who knows, maybe they'll get this right if their hand is forced in working with a gameplay style where holding forward all the time doesn't work. If they follow through with that, of course...

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I just knew someone was going to say this.

Unleashed Wii/PS2 was made by Sonic Team, with only a single member of Dimps leading the daytime level design. The misconception was brought about by an article in Play Magazine (centre paragraph) very early on after the game was announced that said Dimps were helping out with the Wii version. This just got bloated over time to people thinking Dimps made the entire game. I've never bothered to compared the credits in full to confirm this, but I would guess it was pretty much the Colours/Storybook team that did the Wii version. I'm not entirely sure though, as they would have spread their resources quite thin in doing so, considering Black Knight was also under development at the same time. Anyway, the relevant part of Unleashed Wii/PS2's credits:
    That was also the last Sonic game that he worked on. He was absent from Colours and Generations.

7. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    So I was both wrong and right. Huh.

And well, if this is the case maybe this game will play more like the main console version than the past games have. Hopefully. Looks promising enough!

8. Paradigm

Paradigm

Primrose Hill
    An original story entitled "Obscured into Hubris"
    Hopefully they eventually release a sort of preview of a track from the game. Hopefully Jun Senoue or Masato Nakamura score this game.

9. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Is there any confirmation yet DIMPS is developing the 3DS version?

10. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    None.

11. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Nintendo doesn't have anything to benefit from the Mario/Sonic crossover. Of course they both have a large and dedicated fanbase, but a junction of both characters in a game that ain't a rpg, racing or fighting type of game would only damage the hedgehog's image. You see, while both franchises do have a large fanbase, it is safe to assume that Mario's one is bigger because it not only consists on true gamers but also casual players that buy a (3)DS for using on the toilet or the bus or whatever every now and then and want an amusing and not very complicated ride, just fun time without compromises.

Sonic's gameplay would probably be "toned down" since it's easier and more sane to slowdown Sonic and change its core gameplay than it is to make Mario move at fast speed rates while running through loops and bumpy landscapes. They can both run, they can both jump, they can both get hurt and they both have annoying "YAHOOs" when they perform an action (high jumps and boost). But this is where the similarities end.

That is, asuming that they'd try to make both gameplay styles more similar which is a best idea. If they ignore this and give each character their respective gameplay we would have Sonic Unleashed all over again, with Mario bits breaking the flow of a good Sonic game and Sonic bits breaking the flow of a good Mario game, plus with the more casual players not being able to play it very well (not saying that Sonic is hardcore, but my little brother, for example, have a harder time playing Sonic, which requires reflexes and some momentum controlling skills than he have playing Mario).

Even if they did it in a Sonic Adventure scheme where both characters would have their separate storylines and gameplay styles we'd have the same problem the Adventure series had: the need to pick favorites. Or you are going to say that you enjoyed playing as Amy or Big as much as you'd enjoy playing as Sonic or Tails. You may like them both, but you always have one that you liked the most and while these sorts of things are ok for secondary characters it would probably ruin a game where this gameplay differences are in the main two characters which are suposed to have equal importance.

I mean we don't even need to go as far as Sonic Unleashed to see this problem happening, just take a look at Sonic Generations. While it was an amazing and fun game, most of the reviewers and players had one small problem with it: Two very different core gameplays, one breaking the flow of the other. And you had to play as slower and more plataform-based classic Sonic right after you'd play with Modern boosting through giant scenaries or vice-versa.

Nintendo wouldn't be making any new fans, the Hedgehog's image would be bad for both its fans and Mario's fans (because it broke the flow of their new Mario game)... And yeah. There is no benefit in developing a game like this.

But, if they made an Mario & Sonic RPG Chronicles, or perhaps and Sonic & Mario Kart All-Stars Racing or even an Mario & Sonic Party Shuffle... Then, baby... I'm all for it!

12. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    I wouldn't neccesarily say Mario's fanbase was like that. There's some retards out there that only buy the nintendo systems to play shitty Mario spinoffs like Mario Kart and Mario Party. It's very sad but it's true. (okay Mario Kart isn't completely shitty but you're missing the point here. The point I'm getting at is that the Mario fanbase isn't perfect either.)

13. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    So how come there's no wiki page for this game yet?

14. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    I'd say they'd have the same to benefit as they'd have from a non-crossover new Mario game. As in, it's a new Mario game. You think they don't benefit from those?

15. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    If Mario and Sonic were to cross over, I'd much rather see two games: one starring Mario, and one starring Sonic. Both games could be collaboratively developed.

But I really don't think Nintendo wants to do this any more than they want to cross Mario over with Zelda, Metroid, or Pikmin. Hell, he doesn't even cross over with Donkey Kong anymore, and they even came from the same game. Nintendo would just rather keep the crossovers to side games, a trend that doesn't seem likely to change.

OT: Has there been any indication as to how much Nintendo's participating in this game's development? Are they just pouring money into it in exchange for the exclusive, or are they providing input or assistance of some sort?

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    From the Gametrailers/Spike TV E3 schedule of stuff they'll show:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578720

Seems like with Nintendo the game is getting some more attention from the press than with other Sonic games.

17. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Oh My God.
    [​IMG]

That's today!

I can't wait to see this demo, I'm majorly hyped for this game- especially as I've been careful with the Wii U games I've bought thus far. I ended up buying a shitload of Wii games that I hardly ever play/played.

18. synchronizer

synchronizer

What time is that in Eastern Daylight Time?

19. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    Hate to be a party pooper, but uh... It's for Tuesday. Not today.

20. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Excuse me, I think the word you're searching for is "Tuesday, June 11".