don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Yeah, got the notion last night, wanted to have some fun before we moved on. Glad you like it. OL's got a point though, and we shouldn't be so disrespectful. Lim's a great comic book artist; he just might not have been the best choice for Sonic.

So I'll ask something I've been curious about since the PC version dropped (I'm afraid to spend money on it since I have the Wii U version and I'm not sure I can run it). How does the Rhythm Wisp work? I saw someone ask earlier, but nobody responded. I wasn't crazy about it in the original, and was disappointed I still had to use the touch screen for it even after the patch.

2. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    YouTube Memes
    You tap the jump button instead. It works a lot better that way IMO, and the timing isn't even that hard (basically whenever you hear the note sound effect).

3. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Soooooo much better. Wii U version I'd always randomly fall off screen and die despite feeling like I was doing what I was being asked. Have had no issues with Rhythm in the PC port.

4. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I found that mashing the button works just as well (if not faster).

5. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Nice. Too bad they couldn't have done that on the Wii U. I never had a problem making it work with the touch screen...just wish I didn't have to break from the TV to watch the Gamepad mid-stage. Thanks for clearing that up, fellas.

6. Felik

Felik

Felt the same way. Sometimes too well even. In the forest level (the one with owls) the note trail ends much earlier than wisp time runs out so you can "dance" into a death pit if you don't stop yourself.

7. Thanks to Sonic Warrior TJ for perfecting Closed Captions, so english speakers can now watch this too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5dJNX4GBAY

8. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Watching it all put together, there's definitely things I could have worded better/simpler. If we do this again (just let me know if/when you want to help him out again, I'm certainly up for it), I plan to take a little more time and care. There's a big difference between watching the raw review while scrolling through a text doc, and seeing it all in one. Talk about a learning experience though, so thanks for enlisting my help! I like Anton's review style...he says he's waiting on the next great Russian comedy, but he seems to be contributing to the cause.

9. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    The game never forces you to use that Wisp, so I just ignore it.
    Because I didn't know how to use it... Mashing A doesn't always work.

10. Kyuu

Kyuu

Memory Access Violation Member
    [​IMG]

Wow, they really didn't try very hard, did they :v:

11. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Well, that's at least better than "You completed all the missions! Here is your prize!" itsfuckingnothing.jpg

... :(

12. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

That's just sad. When I get around to finishing the rest of the missions you can bet this is going to be on my final ultimate 100% complete shitlist.

13. Not even the slightest bit surprised.

14. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Well, you get 100 Steam achievements for your trouble, if you care about those. And like someone already said, it's better than the Wii U version which basically said "Congratulations! Here's your reward" and you literally got nothing.

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I genuinely wonder how that slip-up even made it into the Wii U version. Was it not something found in QA that could have been fixed in like, 5 minutes? Changing the text to read as it does in the PC version should have been easy.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    They should have changed the text to "CONGRATULATIONS! YOU GET NOTHING! :specialed:"

17. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Congratulations! You wasted your time doing pointless challenges!

Quite a bit about Lost World reeks that it too was rushed in development too. The findings of calls to other stages that don't exist make that pretty obvious too, never mind how ambiguous some of the game's instructions are.

18. Kyuu

Kyuu

Memory Access Violation Member
    Honestly, given the Wii U version (and how Dark Sonic mentioned several pages ago that you got a generic "congrats" message), I wasn't really expecting more than a "Congrats, you did everything" of some sort. What I was not expecting was a message without any form of punctuation like that :v:

I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me laugh, though, so that's something.

19. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

[​IMG]

AAAND I. AM. DONE.

You guys know what THAT means. The finale. The last of my lists. The part where I can hopefully shut up about how much I loathe this game. Since I've already covered so much over the past week or so, this is mostly going to be about the game's mission system.

• Not related to the missions, but even as I was doing this last part of the game, I was learning moves the game never taught me about, like using the spindash to add distance to wall-runs (I knew you could use them to go up walls, but not when running across them). That would have been lovely to know while I was wallrunning across lava pits with annoyingly-placed red rings.
    • Fuck that lazy as hell 100% notification up there. Seriously, at least center the text. People went through a lot of shit to see that screen.
    • I also really recommend unlocking Super Sonic befoer you start tackling the missions. He attracts rings, which is helpful for collection missions. Plus, y'know, he's invincible. Mostly.
    • I hate that you can only do the missions/achievements that you have in your active set of 3. Otherwise I would've easily had at least half of the list done by the time I'd beaten Eggman.
    • The mission system and this game's selection of levels did not play nicely with each other, leading to a very repetitive experience.
    • A lot of missions are just the same objective as earlier missions but with bigger numbers.
    • There are very obvious "best levels" for most (if not ALL) mission objectives, which means you'll be going to them A LOT.
    • And that's to say nothing of wisp missions, which obviously limit you to the very few stages that feature whatever wisp you need.
    • Even worse is when one of these levels has a boss at the end, which you not only get sick fighting but will need to come back to just for a no-hit run (which you'll no doubt have already accomplished before the mission was assigned to you).
    • If missions are going to ask me to kill enemies with the bounce, could I please have a button that does the bounce even when locked on to enemies? I hated trying to get bounce kills only for Sonic to kick them instead.
    • As we've discussed, the Black Bomb wisp missions are bullshit. The only feasible way to do them is blowing up ice blocks (which don't work for other missions involving "enemies", so either the mission descriptions were mistranslated/mistyped, or they were meant to be quite literally impossible without the 4-star black wisp item.
    • Speaking of stars and items, why are missions the ONLY WAY to get items ranked above one star? I don't know if the Wii U version had some way to get more 2+ star items, but I know THIS version needs a way, because as it stands now, we get a finite number of better-tiered items, and once you us them they're GONE.
    • We also need a bigger item inventory, and missions should show you what the reward is before you complete them so you know if you should make room or not. Beating the missions for me was a constant cycle of beating missions, getting items that I was too paranoid to use, hoarding them, discarding them when I needed to make room for better items, which I then hoarded until they were replaced with even better items. So many items I could have been having fun with got wasted because of this.
    • The major exceptions to this were the final 2 missions, in which I burned 2 wing capsules to skip to Sky Road Zone 4's boss (because I wasn't having any of that shit) and used a 4-hit Electric Shield to cheese my way through a no-damage run against Eggman (because I wasn't having any of his shit either).

So yeah. I did it. The ride is over. The game had its moments, the mechanics had potential, but everything just got weighed down by what felt like poor design choice after poor design choice after bullshit after bullshit. In conclusion, fuck Sonic Lost World.

...Now give us a port of Unleashed so I can be disappointed by that too. :v:

20. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    The Wii U version had Miiverse integration, which let you send out items of any rank to players. I often sent out max level Invincibilites or Black Bombs. I don't remember exactly how people got the items, but I think it was random server-side.