Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

If SEGA wanted to port Unleashed, they'd do it. Fuck the Werehog, the game would still sell.

2. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    WV
    I'd happily buy it, for one. Granted I'm one of the few who don't mind the Werehog's playstyle at all, but still. Work with me here SEGA. :colbert: Unleashed, Colors, 1/2 Taxman...put them out, I'll support them.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

I'll find the old avatar eventually Member
    Working on my art!
    I enjoyed the playstyle just the character is dumb as shit. Give that gameplay to Knuckles

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I'm legit excited for Hatsune Miku: Project Diva games coming to PC

5. Azookara

Azookara

take it from me, little buddy Member
    Meowth's party
    hoboagogo?
    Well, here's to good mods to come out of it?

Also hope this is a sign that future Sonic games will come out for PC too. Could potentially save me buying a PS4/Xbone.

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    By the way, you probably shouldn't pre-purchase the game just yet if you don't live in the UK. The price on the Steam store in Europe and the US is €29.99/$29.99, while according to the press release it should be €22.99/$24.99. It's likely that the price will be lowered to this later on.

7. This pretty much. You wouldn't need to do a lot to it to make it Knuckles-ish.

Hell, they could release a super cheap version on the PC call it the Unchained Edition and it would just be all of the daytime levels. No hubs, No night time level, No level up etc. Just the basics. I mean people would bitch that over half the game was gone but meh.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    They have that it's called the Unleashed Project :specialed:

But I just thought of something. What happens to this game's 2p mode? Is it gone or can it be modded to work online?

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Can I just say, why not keep that kind of gameplay out of Sonic games entirely? It doesn't fit. There are better ways to mix up the gameplay and balance speed with platforming and combat than to force in a whole other genre that doesn't belong. Lost World tried, and got it partially right. Heck, Generations tried the genre roulette and actually got it spot on by having two types of purely Sonic-style gameplay.

Seeing as we're supposed to be discussing Lost World in this thread though, one thing I want to bring is is the enemy design in the game. There's one big problem with it; the kick attack serves no purpose other than to confuse the player. Remember back in the very first Sonic game when you'd simply jump or roll into an Crabmeat in the very first level to defeat it? And the how same applied even to Gens and Colours? But nope. It no longer works in this game. For some arbitrary reason you now have to kick them, and you'll actually take damage for simply jumping or homing on them. Why did anyone think this was a good idea? The least they could have done was signal enemies that need to be kicked, perhaps by having them in a different colour (all black for example, and regular badniks colours as per usual), so you wouldn't fall into that silly trap.

Beyond that one stupid issue, Lost World by far has the best enemies of any 3D Sonic game, perhaps even since the Classic games (no surprise considering that 99% of them are lifted from the Classics). All the badniks attack you in different ways, and you actually have to think about how to tackle them because they'll all pose a threat if you just run right at them. I seriously hope that Sonic Team realise how much better the enemies were in Lost World than any of the other recent game, where enemies were slow to attack and generally unvaried in their behaviour. It's so much more fun this way.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think you pretty much answered your own question. That was one of Sonic Team's ways of making the enemies more challenging and having them require more thought in order to beat them (without having to resort to life bars). It might not have been the best executed method, but like you said it's better than every enemy being homing attack fodder.

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Thing is, the kick attack totally undermines the variation in enemy behaviour by turning it all into guesswork.

For example, you can't just jump at Green Obinauts without thinking as they'll drop their spike balls as soon as a reticule appears on them and you'll get hurt, so you have to wait. You have to apply a tiny amount of thought and strategy to planning attacks on most enemies in this game, just enough to stop it from being a case of mashing the homing attack like it's been for the past several years.

But then then In Silent Forest, there are some giant tarantula badniks. Some can be kicked, some actually hurt you for trying to kick them. It doesn't make sense. They're easily the worst offender in the game as there's actually no difference between them. And for the Crabmeats, they literally cannot be damaged by any normal means except the kick. The player won't know this until it's too late. It's generally just a bad idea to leave that sort of thing to trial and error.

12. Naean

Naean

Artist, photographer, audio and video editor. Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Level Designs
    The thing that frustrates and kind of saddens me, is just how easy it would have been to implement this kind of enemy attacking system in a simpler manner. If there were 2 unique lock-on reticules, one to signify homing attack, and another to signify kick attack, there'd be far less frustrating trial and error. Things would be made so much clearer to the player, and yet they instead opted to have 1 lock-on reticule which stays the same style regardless of what type of approach is needed.

13. Azookara

Azookara

take it from me, little buddy Member
    Meowth's party
    hoboagogo?
    This is just reminding me how Lost World's ideas were really good, but the execution was so so poor.

If they can bring back the base gameplay without the jerky movement and cut out the run button, kick attack, multiple homing attack and whatever other unnecessary extras, we'd probably have a pretty good game next time. Heck, we could've had a really good game this time if that stuff didn't really bring it down. It's a shame.

14. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Fuck it, I preordered it because it comes with SASRT, as far as I care it's buying that for $20 and Lost World for $10

:colbert:/>

15. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    interesting things happen when contracts run out, don't they?

hopefully we can see some physics tweaks and custom levels that pushes the idea of this style of play.

16. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    I'm really happy right now. I can't believe this is happening.

But I have a question, did we have to wait 2 years to play this game on PC? Seriously, it would be much better for SEGA (and people who don't own a Wii U like me) if they released it last year.

And for some reason, I really want to see Generations levels in Lost World.

17. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    There was most likely some sort of deal with Nintendo preventing it being able to be on other platforms before now.

18. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    We probably did. Nintendo paid for timed exclusivity on this. That's a gross oversimplification on the contract, but suffice to say it would've literally been illegal for SEGA to release it on PC last year.

19. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    Oops, I meant start of this year. But I guess releasing it near Christmas makes more sense.

20. MartiusR

MartiusR

Wowsers, Sonic Lost World on PC? I didn't expect that. Although due to this "contract-with-Nintenduh-stuff" I would expect that Sonic Colours would be the first one (with earlier date of release). Oh well, I'm still very curious about this one, despite rather mixed opinion about it. I'm not discouraged by them though, Sonic Riders and Heroes (and probably a couple of other Sonic games) also were considered as "mixed bag", and I've enjoyed them.

Surprisingly, it has (almost?) excactly the same system requirements like Sonic Generations.