don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    I'm surprised at how polarizing this game is with opinions. It's very different, I agree, but I think Sonic Team might be up to something with the new gameplay style.

I enjoyed it in the end. The levels people were having problems with I felt weren't that bad. I don't have a big problem with gimmick stages as long as the gameplay isn't completely awful. All sorts of platformers have gimmick stages to shake the gameplay up, even if the regular gameplay is solid. Sonic usually doesn't but I felt they worked out in this game.

Anyway, I enjoyed both versions but the WiU version is definitely the better game. The physics were a little better on the 3DS version but my God those stages got long, and some stages were freakin' bad. Frozen Factory 3 is definitely the worst level in the 3DS version. Also, the special stages are godawul but everyone knows that already. Aside from some hiccups I feel like the 3DS Version is still fun and has a ton of stuff to do.

But man I love the way Sonic controls in this game. Just needed a bit of momentum when you stop (like the 3DS game). The double jump and bounce (sort of like the shield abilities in Sonic 3... could sort of add fireball to that with the homing attack even though it does work differently) feel freakin' good. Parkour is a bit finicky in the WiiU version (works better in the 3DS version IMO), but I think it can be fixed.

So yea, my opinion may not matter much but I liked both versions, WiiU version is still much better, liking the new gameplay and would like to see more. I like the game much better than Sonic Unleashed (much, much better), almost up to par with Generations and Colors. Just need to fix the physics up a little more and really... that's it. Give me more with more unique level designs and less gimmick stages. :P

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Just two more S ranks to go. Lava Mountain Zone 3 (currently unranked) and Frozen Factory Zone 2 (Currently rank B). After that I'm going to try to beat the missions and upgrade all the vehicles to max stats. Then I'll have another Sonic game 100%'d under my belt. The 3DS version on the other hand? That's gonna take a while.

That damn snowball boss.

3. Only five red rings to go. Eh, I'll get them tomorrow.

I swear, Clement saved this game for me.

4. Clement summed up what was wrong for the 3DS version pretty well for me, and I still regret getting it.

lesson learned I guess!

5. Dang... I just realized this game is already old news. Huh.

6. Nova

Nova

But... Clement's a fucking tool. Who takes three and a half hours to review a shitty game? Seriously. That's not even being detailed - that's called bad review form. The whole point of a review is that it's supposed to be a relatively brief look at the game's key pros and cons with an easy-to-reach conclusion "Should I buy this or not" - what about that review needed to take that long? Also, his Lost World videos - he spends a good five minutes picking at people who he thinks suck at the game and he also cites Metal Gear Rising as a stealth game. Credibility fucking zero.

Anyway, just had a look at how missions work in the 3DS version - seems a bit of a cop-out to be honest, when compared to Generations 3DS.

This game will always have it's apologists - for me, it was a bit of a let down and I don't think the Wii U version is going to change my mind.

7. What? he just said what I felt was wrong about the 3DS version myself, I didn't say the rest of his videos are good. I was mostly responding to nickonaquamagna there since he mentioned him.

8. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I'd say the Wii U version is the better game just because there are no levels that, as a baseline, will take more than 10 minutes to beat. But it too suffers from shoddy design at parts.

That, and watching GW try to progress in the 3DS version is like watching a man walk a mile barefoot on a jagged rocky road.

9. Nova

Nova

To be fair to you, his 3DS review isn't too bad and I agree on a lot of points. I just think he goes on way too long in all of his reviews and usually on subjects that, well, shouldn't really be in a 'review' format.

10. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I've finished the 3DS version yesterday...

I want my money back :/

1st Time I had this feeling from playing a Sonic game x.x

11. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    I don't even know why this thread is still alive. nothing more to possibly talk about these 2 games since it seems everything's been said over and over again for pages.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's the new sonic game. What else are we supposed to circle jerk about, Sonic 2 again?

13. NioZero

NioZero

ConcepciĆ³n, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    Curious that this thread have less posts that previous "post-launch" games... Generations I think is the largest thread about that..

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well I can think of at least a few reasons for that. Generations had Classic Sonic's return, which obviously appeals to us retroers, and seeing as how it's classic Sonic the gameplay must be critiqued. The whole game was a nostalgia fest, people were looking much more forward to that game, and most importantly, the game was more widely available. It's on the 360, PS3, PC, and they made that mediocre version for the 3DS so that counts. The game was also received pretty well. And at least now, Generations has mods.

This game however is much less widely available as no one owns a Wii U. The 3DS version is considered garbage by most, so beyond venting frustration there's nothing to talk about there. The game was anticipated but not as highly as Generations and many were skeptical about it (with good reason). Then the game came and the overall opinion of the game was "eh, if you tweak x, y, and z the next game could be fun" much like Unleashed. Give it a few weeks and this thread will die for sure. It's certainly not as memorable as Generations was.

This thread looks like an epic novel compared to the Mario and Sonic 2014 thread though.

15. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    It surprises me that Sega can even afford to make another game at this point. I feel like their effort and drive to do this anymore has run dry. Making Lost World a Nintendo exclusive was the first huge mistake. The second mistake was putting Sonic in a Mario game. No one has a WiiU because no one is gonna pay that pricetag to get another 360/PS3 clone in 2013. And then again, they weren't gonna put this game on the 360/PS3 because they're dead with the next-gen consoles coming out. But the lack of a PC version is inexcusable.

What else can I say? I think this is a sign that Retro should go back to doing what it does best; hacking. Cause we never get tired of playing our retro classics. Peace and love, my beloved retroers, I love you all.

16. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Not necessarily related since we don't know how much of the game itself was funded by Nintendo. Wait for the sales data compared to their own sales projections and then you'll know if it was enough for them or not. Maybe they'll just do another exclusive deal for the next game as well.

Not at all, they have a huge userbase. GTA V sold a lot and we're almost done with this console generation. Releasing 360/PS3 games 1-2 years from now on is still a very viable business strategy, one that the Wii U will still have to compete with. The problem is their target audience isn't really there or they don't trust them anymore (the generation started with '06 and Unleashed after all), so the sales aren't enough to justify the budget.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I beat all the missions.

They don't give you any thing special for beating them all btw.

18. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    *Idly spins Sonic Colors around* Really, the only mistake they made was making it so Mario-like, otherwise I don't really see any massive "THEY'RE ALL DEAD" mistake here.

Also, Retro never really stopped hacking games. I'm sort of confused what your point is even supposed to be. XP

19. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    I was referring to the 360/PS3 being consoles too late in their lifetime for this Sonic 'reboot' and Retro has been lacking in hacking since the last contest. Maybe a lot of hacks are still in the works behind the lines, but it's been pretty quiet in terms of any releases. If we're transitioning towards a trend of releasing hacks only during the contest, That's no good!

20. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    ...The hacking scene, however, tends to ebb and flow, rather than continually release hacks. Indeed, one of the worst periods for the scene was when it vomited forth a bunch of recolor-based games.

But, that's off topic.

On topic, the Wii U clearly has been bought by enough people to sustain it for now, otherwise Nintendo would be busy evangelizing the system more heavily. So while you may seek to find a coherent narrative behind why you can't get a game that you want...

...Reality seems to be much more strange and random than you'd like. :p