don't click here

Sonic Loco 2

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tamkis, Feb 20, 2011.

Should this hack get its own wiki page?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tamkis

Tamkis

Banned
    Pennsylvania
    Megaman 2: The Robotnik Wars, Unnamed S3&K hack
    Sonic Loco 2 is Tamkis’ first full-blown hack for Sonic 2 on the Sega Genesis/MegaDrive. This hack aims to be a full hack, containing new elements and using chunks In unique, “crazy” ways for level layouts.

The hack contains original level layouts, some new chunks, some new monitors, palette edits, and plenty of new SMPS music using the Sonic 2 clone driver. Moreover, the hack includes new zone names, hidden songs via the song monitor, a different song per zone act, and a different song per boss. In that regard, this hack is a musical Megamix too. It is the first Sonic 2 act to have edited Special stages, using Flamewing's Sonic 2 S
    pecial Stage editor.

What's new for V0.14: Finished both acts of MCZ, and almost finished OOZ1. I also created an Oerg866 SMPS Player rom so that you can preview the new music that I will implement soon. Things to do: Modify special stages, implement Music monitor, add more music into the rom (for hidden music via the music monitor, and different music per boss), fix some bugs. For some reason, the game still thinks that the Sonic 2 Clone driver is still banked; if anybody can help me fix this in order to add more music, PLEASE PM me! The rom can be downloaded from my blog, and pictures are also there.

Not all of the features below have been implemented in the ROM, but most of them have been so far. Those with *s will be implemented soon

Features:

•Main features:
    oOriginal level layouts, some new chunks
    oNew palettes
    oNew music
    •Per act
    •*Per boss
    oNew special stages
    oNew actions
    •Added Sonic's peelout move and sprites
    •Added Sonic's SCD spring animation
    •Press A to make Sonic whistle
    oCauses a Tails clone to appear by Sonic if whistle monitor was hit (costs 10 rings)
    Press A or C to make Tails whistle
    Causes Tails to swap collision paths if whistle monitor was hit (costs 10 rings)
    Only works in a Tails-alone game

oNew Monitors
    •Hi Jump monitor
    •Special Stage monitor
    •*Music monitor
    oPlays a hidden song according to the zone
    •Whistle monitor
    oAllows Sonic to call a Tails clone by pressing A (costs 10 rings)
    oAllows Tails to swap collision paths by pressing A or C (costs 10 rings)
    oPath swapping only works in a Tails-alone game
    •Insta-Kill monitor

•Basic Beginner's tweaks (SCHG)
    oBypass Sonic roll-jump
    oAir/ground speed cap removed
    oEHZ deformation bug fixed
    oKeep rings after hitting bonus stage monitor

•Other tweaks
    oDisabled entering special stages via starposts
    oTails enabled in ALL levels (except SCZ)
    oDisabled SEGA screen
    oDisabled water
    oAdded Sonic 2 Clone driver
    oChanged cheat codes
    •Lvl Select: 19, 65, 4, 14
    •Snd Test: 3,1,4,1,5,9,2,6

•Special Thanks:
    oStealth
    •SonED2
    •ROMulan
    oTribeam
    •Tribeam's Realtime Palette Editor
    oOerg866
    •SMPSPlay
    •Xm3smps Oerg
    •SMPS Play Demo Song (for the credits)
    oSelbi
    •S2TCG
    oXenowhirl
    •Sonic 2 disasm
    •SonMapED
    oNineko
    •SMS Boss music
    •Originally wrote xm3smps
    oErik JS
    •Music Pointer fixer
    oQuui
    •PlanED
    oFlamewing
    •Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor
    oVarious writers of the SCHG
    oEt.al.

Pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Videos

2. Wow, the music is incredibly grating on the ears, the graphics are pretty messed up, and the level flow is borderline sadistic. I'm sorry, I'm putting it down and not picking it back up.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    A video would be nice.

4. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    I've had this in Sawnik for over 3 years XD (The =P Monitor, if no one remembers)
    But yes, screenies and video would help

5. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Played it.

I've seen that stupid Sega sound in other hacks, and why people put it in is beyond me. Then Tails is....grey in the title screen? Palettes are messed up, the choice of music is poor and the level design (while showed a bit of promise, the springs in the tubes were neat, not seen that before) is, as said, sadistic. No rings? It is under the 'to do' list? I thought when you released even a small demo, the levels you did do are playable in full. There is a lot of work to do.

6. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Talk about challenge, no rings! I was very tempted to have a netplay with someone in 2 player mode with that level, just to see who could die first =$

On a serious note, this leaves a lot to be desired, it's not very fun to play, and is quite irritating and frustrating due to the music quality and level setout. Sorry, but you'll wanna look into fixing this up a bit more professionally if you want good feedback.

7. Andeed

Andeed

Holy pug in a pizza box... Member
    Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    Wow... erm, just wow.
    That is all I have to say ¬_¬

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Please don't start a hack topic without screenshots. People need to know what they're downloading before they bother, myself included.

9. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Why is song $1E the only track which actually doesn't sound like ear rape?

This hack needs a lot of improvement, by taking comments and criticism here you should be able to make a much better version in the future.

10. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    He kinda did, the pictures are on his blog where you have to download the hack.

EDIT: Just played it. What others have been saying about the hack is true. The spring tube half loop is awesome, and I liked the special stage monitor. However....everything else. I mean when I got to the end of act 1 it killed me. You can modify the act end so it fits with your shorter signpost.

Also, how come I still can't figure out sonic 2 music? True I only tried to Sonic 1 then clone driver it with the tutorials once. Maybe I should try it again.

11. Dandaman

Dandaman

Also known as Dandaman955 Tech Member
    UK
    After playing this hack thoroughly, my only reaction could only be described as; "What am I even playing?"

When I first start up and get playing, I am greeted by music which is enough to give a migraine, along with poor layouts and poorly placed objects which make the game seem, broken. (Why are there letters randomly strewn across the level?)
    Several Game overs and headaches later, I make it to the signpost, only to get blasted to one side of the screen and getting killed. Since act 1 was uncompletable, I decided to use level select to get to the other levels and after seeing the level layout and hearing the music, there isn't anything positive to say although Track $1E is fine.
    Sorry dude, but this really needs more work on, that was my two pence on it anyway. in all fairness, it did brighten up my dull day with laughter. ;)

12. Tamkis

Tamkis

Banned
    Pennsylvania
    Alright, I guess I need some improvment with my hack :P. I just posted this as a demo, to see how people like the level layouts (minus the bugs I need to fix). I don't know why there are letters for one of those chunks, tis something I need to fix. And for the horrible, music, all I did was port over some songs with Xm3smps, the output seems to be worse than the original input, which are good songs. As I stated earlier, I haven't put rings in yet, because I always seem to put too many in, which breaks the level. And for the screenshots, there are on my blog, because, as a trial member, I can't make attachments. Not only that, but the site domain, tripod.com, doesn't allow hotlinking to images on a free data plan. Sorry about that.

Don't worry, I will try to improve my levels. I will be working on HTZ now for the next version. Now that I know about the cons of my hack, what are the pros? There's got to be something I'm doing right...

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Try imageshack.us or tinypic for your image uploading needs, hacking learner.

14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I found a ring monitor:
    [​IMG]
    Though I died before the rings were given to me >_>

Also, I hit + - something that vaguely resembled   a Shield Monitor and Sonic was given a ridiculous jump.

This is interesting nonetheless.

15. Jan Abaza

Jan Abaza

Oldbie
    You're attempting to bring some Vangelis into a Sonic hack, which gets a thumb up right here....but make sure to fix the instrumentation, okay..? This is a Yamaha chip you're dealing with, that music selection deserves much more from it.

Mind, you do seem to be set on doing a sort of kaizo hack of Sonic 2. While that's cool in theory and all, don't expect it to get very popular...because in the end, it's still Sonic 2, only more annoying.

16. Tamkis

Tamkis

Banned
    Pennsylvania
    Yes, that is the Hi-jump monitor that I spoke of. I think I better lower that jump height.

Oh, my aching reputation! IMO, not all of the songs cause "ear-bleeding".
    Try songs:

$03 (MCZ2)
    $07 (ARZ1&2)
    $0A (DEZ)
    $0B (MCZ1/Caverns of Cthulu)
    $0E (CPZ1)
    $10 (CPZ2)
    $13 (Boss/FF4Boss)
    $17 (Invincilbity)
    $1A (Clear act)
    $1E (Credits/Oerg's SMPSPlay Demo Song)

17. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    Okay, before I say anything about this hack, was it meant to be difficult?

18. Tamkis

Tamkis

Banned
    Pennsylvania
    The hack is meant to be of meduim difficulty. But I guess I made it a little bit too hard. I have since modified the infamous area in EHZ 1 where you had to bounce on fish. If you jumped down through the right tube instead of the left tube before that area, a path swapper would allow you to stand on the island chunks I made. Now either tube will allow you to walk on the island chunks. And for those whom are wondering, I forgot to mention to hit a checkpoint before hitting a special stage monitor, otherwise, you will start at the last checkpoint/beginning of the level. And I still have to add rings, since I always tend to put too many in, which breaks levels.