don't click here

Sonic & Knuckles finally coming to the Virtual Console.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by NintendoBrad, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Misfit
    <!--quoteo(post=365213:date=Oct 23 2009, 08:54 PM:name=Frozen Nitrogen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frozen Nitrogen @ Oct 23 2009, 08:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=365213">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=365189:date=Oct 24 2009, 12:38 AM:name=RGamer2009)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RGamer2009 @ Oct 24 2009, 12:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=365189">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->SWEET.

...But I already have Mega Collection...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ...and I already have Sonic Jam.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ...and <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">I<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> already have the Model 1 Genesis! :v:

2. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    <!--quoteo(post=365803:date=Oct 25 2009, 08:57 PM:name=Chaos Knux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chaos Knux @ Oct 25 2009, 08:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=365803">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=365213:date=Oct 23 2009, 08:54 PM:name=Frozen Nitrogen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frozen Nitrogen @ Oct 23 2009, 08:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=365213">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=365189:date=Oct 24 2009, 12:38 AM:name=RGamer2009)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RGamer2009 @ Oct 24 2009, 12:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=365189">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->SWEET.

...But I already have Mega Collection...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ...and I already have Sonic Jam.
    ...and <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">I<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> already have the Model 1 Genesis! :v:
    Isn't Sonic Jam better though? :P

3. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    To be honest, as much as I love Sonic Jam's extras and features (Time Attack, difficulty levels, etc), I really find its emulation to be kind of lacking nowadays. Not to say the Wii's is tons better, but at least the music doesn't restart every time you get a Speed-Up. XD

4. JDAdams

JDAdams

<!--quoteo(post=365844:date=Oct 25 2009, 09:46 PM:name=Josh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Josh @ Oct 25 2009, 09:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=365844">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To be honest, as much as I love Sonic Jam's extras and features (Time Attack, difficulty levels, etc), I really find its emulation to be kind of lacking nowadays. Not to say the Wii's is tons better, but at least the music doesn't restart every time you get a Speed-Up. XD<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not emulation - Sonic Jam uses native SH2 (Saturn) code for all the games. Hence all the extra modes, spindash and so on. Not that these would be impossible to add to emulated games, but it's so much easier with the actual code available.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    <!--quoteo(post=365618:date=Oct 25 2009, 12:38 AM:name=NintendoBrad)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NintendoBrad @ Oct 25 2009, 12:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=365618">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm afraid you'll be waiting a good while, because I really doubt Square will take the time and money to translate those games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I don't think they'll even consider going through the effort of translating the NES version nowadays, since the Japanese VC games always come untranslated when released overseas (with the only exception, if I remember correctly, of some translated textures in Sin & Punishment for N64).

On the other hand, now that a prototype of FF2 has been released to the public, that's another story... but I also doubt they'd release that.

6. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    Didn't square ALREADY translate FF2, when they re-released it on the GBA alongside FF1? Sure, that was a port and not emulated, but they could still take the text they've already translated and squeeze it into the limitations of the old system?

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    <!--quoteo(post=366025:date=Oct 26 2009, 03:47 AM:name=HighFrictionZone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HighFrictionZone @ Oct 26 2009, 03:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=366025">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Didn't square ALREADY translate FF2, when they re-released it on the GBA alongside FF1? Sure, that was a port and not emulated, but they could still take the text they've already translated and squeeze it into the limitations of the old system?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->That's like taking a PDF of some book from the internet and trying to squeeze it into that "100 Classic Books" cartridge for the DS.

Not a copy-paste job, precisely.

8. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Sorry for the bump but I finally got the WAD extracted.

There's a patch file but it doesn't have anything in it. The ROM looks like it has Sonic & Knuckles/Sonic 3/Sonic 2 all in one .SGD file.

Take a look at the extracted WAD <a href="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38216/s3kjapvc.7z" target="_blank">here</a>. The ROM file is sandk_composite.sgd.zlib. I don't think they did anything special though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.