don't click here

Sonic & Knuckles finally coming to the Virtual Console.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by NintendoBrad, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    With them (I'm going to assume both SEGA and Nintendo) finally figuring out how the technology behind the lock-on system works, would it be safe to assume that they have enough technical experience/capacity to start working on Sega CD and perhaps 32X emulation on VC? I know Sega CD/32X emulation and S&K Lock-On are two different things, but I remain optimistic to see Sega CD games on VC in the near future. =)

2. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    ...and I already have all of the above.

Really, though. Even if it's more or less a moot point for us, since we've already bought these games a thousand times over and are starting to get a bit too frugal to bump that to a-thousand-and-one, it means somebody who has no other means of doing so (yeah, yeah, SMC is readily available and then there's always emulation; just... go with it, okay?) can finally play the TRUE version of Sonic 3 without too much hassle. That alone is an awesome fact. I was kind of expecting Sega to never even bother, and there they go, defying my expectations (although really, with low expectations, it's not hard to defy them). So, well, I'm happy.

3. FlashTHD

FlashTHD

Oldbie
    lol, "figuring out" what they made to begin with

To be realistic I imagine this is simply four different S&K ROMs bundled together, with certain ones activated by the presence of Sonic 1-3. I'll be genuinely suprised if this is proven wrong by Sonic 3 VC save data being upgraded when you load S3&K VC, like the actual carts.

$30 (a points card and a half) for the whole trilogy is also dubious, but still this is a classy move with what they have to work with, and accurate cart behavior or not, already it's well-deserved egg in the face to the butchers at Backbone.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    In Backbone's defense their versions cheaper. However it's still wrong what they did.

5. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I don't know why anyone here would be too excited about this. I mean surely, basically everyone here owns these games in some form or another at this point? Whether it be the original carts, Sonic Jam, or one of the many, many emulated collections released.

Plus the fact that these can be downloaded and played for free right on your computer.

6. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    They have a long history of loosing source codes, documentation, etc to many of their games and hardware. Plus, the Sega of today is not the one from 1994 you know.

7. NintendoBrad

NintendoBrad

I guess for those who already downloaded some Sonic games to their Wii and would like a full-functioning S&K to complement that.

Also, I think there's some interest in taking the roms of VC games and seeing what changes were made, however insignificant. It would be interesting to see how this lock-on system works, being the first Virtual Console game of its type.

8. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I'm guessing that S&K comes with the other already locked on ROMs and it just detects if you have the other games so it knows to let you play them or not. That's how it's been done in Mega collection anyway IIRC.

9. NintendoBrad

NintendoBrad

I think someone else suggested that as well; it's a good theory, but considering how simple that would be it could make me second-guess why it took so long to be released as it is.

10. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    I wish I still had Gerbilsoft's post in that article about Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection.

11. Graxer

Graxer

The original has a save feature, and so does the Wii version. (Even the XBLA version had a crappy save-state feature, which was just thrown in to presumably prevent cheating for achievements.) I don't really understand.

12. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

I can't wait to buy the same game again for the Nth time!

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Funny. Just in time for proper Lock-On emulation being implemented in Genesis Plus for Wii.

Dude... This is about copying a ROM at the end of the other one.

14. Flygon

Flygon

Perhaps they forgot that Sonic and Knuckles had that extra chip on it for Sonic 2 to lock on. :v:

15. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    That's cool I guess, but I'm not paying $8 for all the Sonic games again when I have them all on cartridge form. :P

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Code (Text):
    1.  copy /b rom1.bin + rom2.bin rom3.bin
    Hard shit.

I suspect the reason it's taken them this long is that according to Gerbil channels on the VC aren't allowed to see other channels or use other channels files (no file system access), so the only way I can think of that they've figured out detection is to check the playlog... and as Rika pointed out, just has all the 4 ROM variants bundled into one file.

17. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Well, I stand corrected. I'm not that familiar with the engineering behind the games though.

18. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    I was waiting for this. I only like buying games of series from here when you can buy and play them in the order they came out. Sonic was all messed up because of 3D Blast being on VC before S&K.

Now they need to fix Breath of Fire by releasing the first one and not leaving the 2nd one on there all by itself...

Also, if Final Fantasy 4 for SNES comes out on VC before a translated version of 8-bit FF2 & FF3 for Famicom, I will wait until they are added before purchasing 4.

19. NintendoBrad

NintendoBrad

I'm afraid you'll be waiting a good while, because I really doubt Square will take the time and money to translate those games.

20. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

I still own all my original carts (though I did lose my complete Sonic3&K files somehow) but it's nice that they've given the feature, shows the difference between M2 who has been doing the Virtual Console ports and Backbone who couldn't be arsed to add the feature in Ultimate Genesis Collection and messed it up on XBLA. Do you honestly think they were working non-stop for a year on this though? Come on, now. :v:

People sure love to pick apart anything they do, don't they? Why didn't they do this sooner/why would I buy this I already own it or have illegally downloaded them to my PC/etc etc? Christ almighty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.