don't click here

Sonic Jam commentaries tell all~

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    I dunno about that. When they mean animation, they mean the act of switching between completely separate images in sequence.

The supposed Sonic 2 CD loading screen would just be still artwork that would scroll across the screen, more or less. Plus, Naka's animation code wouldn't apply here; likely one of the reasons it could display graphics so quickly is because it had the near-instant access of a cartridge.

2. Well that's true too...hmm...but then again x.x if that's the case, why did you mention his code in the first place?

3. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    I know exactly that a level loads after the second loading noise of my Mega-CD. Or 1 - 1/2 - 1 if a level loads for the first time in a session. Worth a loading screen I think, even though I agree maybe not a animated one. Black nothingness isn't very nice to stare at (but not really a problem either of course.)
    That loading screen is just a picture of the planet from the D.A. Garden sound test with a background. (Most charming sound test ever btw.)

Also why are you all assuming the woman in that pic is actually working on it? She might just have that demo on the screen and pretend to be actively doing something with it so the magazine has a nice photo!

4. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

Suggesting that a version of Sonic CD's animated intro possibly existed in Sonic 2 at one point (or may have been at least planned to the point where graphics for it may have been created, and, having no other use, ended up in the manual).

5. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Wow, I just read all of this.

AWESOME.

The question I have, though is this; if time-travel was to be in Sonic 2 at an early stage (Which has all but been proven, I'd say), what of the levels that don't correspond with scrapped levels (For example, Aquatic Ruin)?

It's also a shame that I'm no coder, because I would totally have started work on a Sonic2-with-time-travel hack right now, heheheheh.

6. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

Levels that don't have time-travel alternatives/fit in with the scrapped levels could have most likely been:

A) Added after the Time Travel concept was moved to be Sonic-CD-exclusive.

B) Were due to get Time Travel alternatives of their own at one point but didn't.

7. Delusphere

Delusphere

UK
    I still think Sonic 2 is a mix of new original levels and Time Travel levels creating a new Sonic feel far from Sonic 1. That also backs up the fact why transitions were very far apart in levels, like, Emerald Hill and then Chemical Plant and then Neo Green Hill.
    I have a theory that the Levels Neo Green Hill, Emerald Hill And Chemical Plant, are all in fact, Past, Present & Future variants of Emerald Hill. The concept was changed in Sonic CD as to how the levels would change in past present and future, as the designers had a hard time altering levels for past and future versions, making entire new zones would have been easier during the Megadrive era. As I have said before, these are many of the theory's I have and many people have. I think that Sonic 2 would have been a bad time to experiment with the Sonic Formula - It was a kill or keep situation.

8. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    How? What backs up this theory?

9. Acaeris

Acaeris

Sugarcube... Member
    As I said we have nothing to back up any theory that any particular levels are linked. We can guess the scrapped ones have something to do with time travel but we have no idea what zones were/weren't going to have time travel at all.

10. Delusphere

Delusphere

UK
    Level ordering, Names from betas & alphas, relations from Sonic 1 to the name of Neo Green Hill. Robotnick could have used Emerald Hill to build Chemical Plant on. Aquatic ruin does have an ancient feel about it too. Plus there the first 3 levels. Every level could have also had a future that has been built on by Robotnick and ruined. It's just a thought, I doubt it is correct - Just my imagination.

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    When it comes to this topic, absolutely avoid groundless theories based solely on "imagination" and lacking any sort of practical or technical evidence to back it up. If they don't stop, I'll be splitting them from the topic.

Speculation is fine as long as it makes sense. Delusphere's theories aren't making much sense here and are based on absolutely nothing. At least I had technical and practical evidence to back up my idea...

12. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    I should point out the EGM article with the loading screen images mentions that "Here are a few of the fantastic intermissions for the Sonic 2 CD". It says a FEW. That means there is more than one intermission. So those images may be 5 seperate loading screens, or perhaps a couple pics may be from the same intermission, but there is more than one anyway.

Also, Since the game is in early development, the speed of load times may be longer. I imagine in final they would have brought the load times down as much as possible where those screens wouldnt be needed, at least between every act anyway.

I don't have any good examples of Sega CD games that needed loading screens, but I hear Mortal Kombat had some bad loading times, despite it being a basically a Genesis port.

13. It's a level containing ancient ruins that are partially submerged in water.
    Thus "Aquatic Ruin."
    Thus these designs aren't really evidence of anything time-travel related at all!
    They are merely evidence that the level art matches the level name!

THANK YOU!
    I was waiting for someone to say that.
    I would've said it myself, but I couldn't think of a way of saying it that didn't sound condescending.

14. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Mega CD games can't have complicated loading screens, because they'd take as long to load as the game itself. If those screens are from Sonic 2 CD, then they aren't loading screens.

15. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    What if the loading screen was a picture with the words "Loading next level..." pasted on the picture? That may not have been complicated to impliment.

16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Depends on what it does. While loading another program, the Mega CD can run a small (like, 2kb or so, maybe a bit more—I don't remember, could be more like 32kb) program on the side. With proper management, that could easily be used to load the art and a small palette rotation to "animate" the CD on the shot.

The point is, the existence of the loading screen would make it seem like there's less of a wait. Even if there is more waiting time involved, it would be much harder to notice with something to look at.

17. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    BTW guys, Sonic 2 CD is Sonic CD. Just in case someone didn't know that.

18. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Proof, please.

19. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Proof to the opposite, please?

20. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Well we've seen a loadscreen with a ring on it, so what if the Ring rotates and changes into a CD when it's side-on (instead of looking like O it looks like l)

It's be pretty easy to implement, (a small animation at most) and would get the point across without the need for text.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.