don't click here

Sonic Incursion (RELEASED)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Ell678, Apr 20, 2014.

1. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

Ohh I gotcha. I mistook the 3D gameplay in the trailer as being an indicator of the "Adventure Style" when it wasn't. I understand now.

Also, I greatly appreciate you using the Sonic 3 boss music for your game (albeit in remixed form). Greatly underappreciated boss theme that has stuck with me longer than anything else related to boss music from Sonic. That alone gives you a thumbs up in my book.

2. winterhell

winterhell

The special stage looks good

3. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Thank you. I have since changed it to the Time Eater theme...but that Sonic 3 Remix does appear at some point in the game ;)

4. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nPZvyMWttc[/youtube]

5. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

Nice homage to Sky Chase Zone and good to see Tails show up to lend some assistance. Quite an uncertain end for both him and Sonic at the end of the zone though.

I feel like some SFX were missing, particularly when Sonic blew up the jets?

6. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    They are definitely making a sound when they are destroyed (I just played the Act), but for some reason they're extremely quiet in the video.

7. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

Ah YouTube screwing with the sound I hate that. :/ Glad to know it's not present in the game build though.

8. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    So, I have a private beta here if anyone would like to play. If you're interested, PM me.

9. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    So Ell678 gave me an exclusive download to showcase this fan game of his. And honestly; I'm impressed!

http://youtu.be/yemu6xxsQaA

Link to YouTube

10. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    It's time to face facts.

To fix Sonic Incursion (gameplay or technically) I'd have to tear it down and start again. Which I'm not going to do - far too much work has gone in to it to start again, and I've lost all motivation regarding the project. Asking for help or assistance has yielded sod all, and I'm frankly sick of it.

So here's the deal. A little side project I've been working on shall be finished and released. Then I'll plug up a couple of holes in Incursion, like making basic cutscenes and the like - at that point, I'll just release what I've got, as there are no totally game breaking bugs, just irritating stuff. At least this way, I can still go back to it if I ever want to, but nothing will have gone to waste.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That's fair. You don't owe anything to anyone so whatever is best for you. That being said I'm still looking forward to playing this.

Best of luck!

12. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    An impromptu bug let me take some nice shots of half the layout for Asphalt Airway Act 2, and I figured it was time to post here again.

So what has been happening recently? Well, I've kept to my word and have been tying up loose ends. The biggest one was an Act 3 for Metal Sonic with some corresponding cutscenes which is now implemented. What this translates to is that Sonic Incursion can be played from the beginning, right through to the final levels without using level select, with a good degree of coherence.

This means that I can release a public beta of the game by the end of the year. I'm doing what I can to eliminate bugs and irritating issues, but there are some I cannot eliminate yet - the menu, and the save system. The menu is still the stock GDK one. The save system is borked due to the way Incursion implements Act 3's (one for each character). Say you play through the game first as Metal Sonic and get to the end. Your scores are saved, but the levels won't appear in the level select, until you play through the Act 3's that belong to Sonic. I will experiment with implementation and see if I can find a compromise. In addition, the final levels and final bosses for each character will not be included. While Metal Sonic's is technically complete, Sonic's is not - I can work on this while others get a chance to play the game.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    [​IMG]

And here it is. Seeing as I know people won't look at the Readme, some info for you -

-This Beta includes all but the final levels (one for each character). When you finish Asphalt Airway, the game will return to the main menu.
    -In order to get the level select / save system working, the Act 3's aren't in the level select (but they obviously are playable).
    -Some of the rankings are not configured correctly, preventing S ranks on some levels.
    -The menu is the stock SonicGDK menu.
    -Cutscenes are of varying quality in terms of animation and sound.
    -PPZ3M does not have a working camera (this is the only "3D level" in the game though).
    -There are some areas where rings may break into the foreground or background when lost. There are few areas where this happens though.
    -Reshade is included in the download.

Merry Christmas and happy new year!

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh lovely, I look forward to trying this out.

EDIT: Ok trying it out now and I'm a bit stuck. I'm unable to move Super Sonic up and down in that Doomsday esq level. Is there a fix for this or am I stuck here?

15. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Are you using a pad or keyboard? What kind of pad?

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm using a 360 pad. I also occasionally start the level off by immediately dying, which can be kind of remedied by holding left at the start of the act, but then instead of dying I'll just be caught on the bottom of the screen. I also randomly died at the beginning of the Tornado Sky Chase level a few times. Holding left prevented me from dying but in that level I was able to move up and down as intended.

17. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Hmm, I've never died instantly on either of those levels (except after a death, but I thought I fixed that). I've just played that level and WASD keys work fine, but D-pad and thumbstick control is sorta busted, and which axis of control you get depends on what you press first. For instance, if you press up you get up and down control, if you press left you get left and right control. I'll have to look into it, or maybe just remove left/right movement altogether.

The Tornado can only be moved up and down anyway, Sonic still has a little amount of movement on the wing which is intentional.

18. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I'm uploading a new version with the Super Sonic fix. He can now only move up and down I'm afraid, but it's better than having no control. I'll edit this when it's done.

Edit - Here is the updated version. Post above has been updated too.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Awesome, once that posts I'll give it a go.

Lucky for my though apparently the save file skipped that level and allowed me to play the level immediately afterwards (Hex Heights I think it's called), so I can continue playing the game. I can give a list of other bugs I've encountered along the way once I'm done playing if you'd like.

20. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Updated the original link with the new version. Please do let me know about bugs - some I may be aware of, some I might not be. Your thoughts and opinions are also more than welcome.

Yeah I had to reach a compromise with the save system. Because there are some levels with two act 3's (one for Sonic, one for Metal), progress would be saved, but new levels wouldn't appear in the level select until you finished the other character's act 3. Without a custom menu I'm kinda stuck on this, and I don't like leaving the Act 3's out of the level select.