don't click here

Sonic In the Movies

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by XCubed, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Well, more like the movies that Sonic games have taken a heavy influence upon.

- Let's see, first is the utmost obvious: The Death Egg. At the time, the Star Wars mania was dying down, although its impact was still forceful. It had been 9 years since Return of the Jedi debuted in theatres. However, it was a franchise so popular, that flattery was shown in it's best form....Imitation.

But apparently they felt like flattering twice!

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

- Next time it took awhile....but the again it took that long to get another decent Sonic game. Indiana Jones apparently held a lot of influence in the first set of 3D games. We have the original rolling rock from Indiana Jones, which was mimiced not once....not twice....but 3 times! At least in Sonic Adventure, it was a direct copy (like a certain mini game in Mario Pary 6), unlike the whale (although it's still once of the coolest video game chases to date), unlike the Semi-Truck in Sonic Adventure 2, and the spiked rolling stone in Sonic Heroes.

- But speaking of Sonic Heroes, we are taken back to 1991 with the T-1000...erm, I mean Metal Sonic! [​IMG]

I'm sure the Terminator series was equally honored as all the others in their brief Sonic world cameos!

I wonder what theatrical release will influence the series next!

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Okay, I'll try this again:

In Jingle All the Way, Sonic is in the parade scene at the end of the movie.

Seriously, I thought this was common knowledge.

3. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
  4. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
  5. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
  6. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Ironically that was the picture I was looking for last night for a clearer pic of the Death Egg...heh!

Btw, that Scrap Brain comparison is scary!

I love learning about how many things influenced elements within the Sonic games!

7. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
  8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    There were DBZ movies though, anyway.

I guess I'll continue to mention Sonic cameos in movies. It's certainly common knowledge that Wayne's World featured footage of Sonic 1 from a prerelease version.

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Wow, that's pretty unexpected. Nice observation!

As for the rest of the topic... yeah, Sonic seems to draw inspiration (read: rip off =P) a lot of popular franchises, both in America and Japan. I guess that's one of the reasons he became as popular as he is. =P

10. Waynes World featured Sonic 1 Beta footage, I hear.

Whoa, got a video of that? Youtube doesn't seem to have anything.

11. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Sadly, no. It's just a couple shots featuring a guy in a Sonic costume fairly prominently.

12. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
  13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Wow, that's another nice catch! They're even in the same key for the most part. I've got to say, though, I think this is more of a coincidence—such a style of upbeat music and chord progression was pretty common in the 80s. It's no doubt Spring Yard is in the same style, though; makes sense that is, even, given the zone cliche involved.

14. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
  15. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    In the Disney live action film "Hocus Pocus", right after the witches leave the "devil"s house and they stand outside, a kid walks past in a Sonic the Hedgehog Halloween Costume.

16. Zycor

Zycor

Unlike Sonic, I don't chuckle. Member
    Beats me.
    That is just coincidence, I know pleanty of songs that do that fade in effect.

17. Moogle!

Moogle!

While I can't give pictures either, I can second the Jingle All The Way scene. If memory serves me correctly, it happens near the start of the parade scene. Looks a bit like the 3D Blast Sonic, I think.

I had a friend that swore he could hear bits of Ozzy Osbourne's Crazy Train in Metropolis Zone. I never could.

I also swear you can catch a glimpse of Sonic at some point in the opening scene (Armmedggdon) on Gate to the Mind's Eye, though I've never been able to confirm it. You can watch it on You Tube, but it was hard enough to see on the tape (which I don't have).

He does appear at 2:37 right here though that's actually not what I remember.

18. The Moogs

The Moogs

Oldbie
    In regards to music from sonic that is similar to songs, I always noticed that Green Forest (sa2) sounded a lot like the song Americana by The Offspring.
    The guitars and vocals fit the tune of the song very closely.

The Offspring - Americana
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU-vs5YtH1Q
    1:20 to 1:24 especially

the lyrics fit the tune of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIWl6cmiSLc
    :30 - :39

I noticed this years ago but haven't really had a place to share.

*edit: Yeah I know, wtf is a new member bumping an old topic for? Thought it was relevant, and yeah, never seen it anywhere else.

19. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
  20. Squints

Squints

All souped-up. And DESECRATED! Member
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
    That's crazy! The similarity is definitely there, I also heard it in the guitar riff just before the spot you mentioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.