don't click here

Sonic in old SPEC Magazine

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mercury, Sep 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    In page 1, on the ring around sonic you can make out "his na sonic".

I could be wrong, but I think I remember a trademark for "his na sonic" by sega at some point. Kinda strange.

2. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    I take it the DCT pages are from 7.0.

3. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    :psyduck: I think it's "His Name is Sonic" - I've seen it on the early concept art.

Yes, I said all the scans besides the 3rd Sonic page. I should have been more clear.

4. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
  5. Mercury

Mercury

Location Location
    AeStHete
    Ah. I guess they only need to trademark the letters that are showing in the logo?

6. MathUser

MathUser

Added them to the wiki. I'll add the translation if any of this gets a translation.

<a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/His Name is Sonic - Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Players Enjoy Club, November 1990)" target="_blank" style="background: url(http://info.sonicretro.org/images/5/50/Reticon.png) right no-repeat; padding-right: 20px; border-bottom: 1px dotted #3366BB; color: #3366BB; cursor:pointer; text-decoration:none;" class="wiki">His Name is Sonic - Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Players Enjoy Club, November 1990)</a>
    <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Music Galaxy - Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Players Enjoy Club, November 1990)" target="_blank" style="background: url(http://info.sonicretro.org/images/5/50/Reticon.png) right no-repeat; padding-right: 20px; border-bottom: 1px dotted #3366BB; color: #3366BB; cursor:pointer; text-decoration:none;" class="wiki">Music Galaxy - Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Players Enjoy Club, November 1990)</a>
    <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Coming Soon - Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Players Enjoy Club, Summer 1991)" target="_blank" style="background: url(http://info.sonicretro.org/images/5/50/Reticon.png) right no-repeat; padding-right: 20px; border-bottom: 1px dotted #3366BB; color: #3366BB; cursor:pointer; text-decoration:none;" class="wiki">Coming Soon - Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Players Enjoy Club, Summer 1991)</a>

7. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Or maybe the trademark is invalid if not all of it becomes visible.

EDIT: and that thing definitely says more than just "his name is Sonic". In fact, I can spot an E below the second spike, and there's another letter under his finger. "His name is speed - Sonic"?

8. Mercury

Mercury

Location Location
    AeStHete
    Since I used TinyPic, the images are scaled down. The originals are much larger.

Vol 7
    Vol 7.5
    Vol 8

Vol 8 has a bunch more Sonic stuff (he's even on the cover), but since it was all from after the game was released, I didn't find it as interesting.

9. MathUser

MathUser

Those were plenty big, I think I'll just leave up the ones from your tinypic.

10. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Just been watching the original sonic adverts on youtube and thought about that sonic 1 drawing, I bet you it says "His name is sega sonic" because they call him that in the japanese adverts :)

Hm, looking at that image again it may as well be Speed, as the letter under his finger can't be a G or an A.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Heh, I remember that patented logo appearing in the Spanish MegaZone magazine, possibly in the subscriptions section.

It would make a nice T-shirt.

12. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    On first glance, my brain filled in the missing letters to read "HIS NAME IS SUPER SONIC". Am I just going mad in my tiredness? Note, I'm not implying any connection to the form introduced from Sonic 2 onwards, just adding a suggestion as to what the text could potentially read. I assume that, if this is what it says, the use of the term "Super Sonic" is coincidental, since this is clearly just regular old Sonic here. =P

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    The back of the US box says "It's Super Sonic" in the top-left.

14. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    There's the little issue that a symbol seems to be hiding under the finger besides the letter after E, so in that case it'd be "HIS NAME IS SUPER - SONIC". I doubt it'd make any sense...

15. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    "HIS NAME IS SUPER - SONIC"?

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    By the way, if my limited Japanese skills are correct, the text right below that logo says something about a "test pilot" in year 1947... So that might be the first time the "Mary Grannet" story was mentioned.

17. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Is my impression or the top artwork in this has four carved "things" on the mountains? It must be nothing though, there's another one overhsadowed by the back of Sonic's head. It's funny to look at the coincidence though.

The Sonics are all so cute, especially the third page one.

18. Insalubrious

Insalubrious

The Writing Writer Member
    To elaborate on this, I believe it's talking about Chuck Yeager there. I tried to look up all the kanji individually and work out a rough translation, since I can't exactly read Japanese (though I have a reasonable grasp on the grammar).

I'm not 100% sure on the bracketed kanji/word. The whole thing was too mashed together for me to really work out all the shapes, so what I have there is the closest one I could find.

Make what you can of that; it's more semi-educated guess than a translation. I'm sure it'd make more sense if someone who actually knew what they were doing took a crack at it.

Because of how much work it is, I probably won't try this for the rest of the text.

19. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    I'm guessing it's these things?
    [​IMG]

If so, they look to me like straw roofed homes/huts, like in SatAM, except built in front of the mountains.

20. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    To be honest, that drawing looks like the final background to me. Those things you have circles are just the green bushes.

The only thing in that picture that looks similar the those early shots of s1 is that tree in the foreground, and that could just a coincidence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.