don't click here

Sonic in Chaotix - Revision 02

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Wurly, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wurly

Wurly

:| Tech Member
    [​IMG]

Yes, I am releasing a new update of my hack. Some of the new features include:
    • Special Stage Art (from Sonic CD and SGR)
    • Overall New and Better Shaded Sprites (by KojiChao)
    • Combi Catcher sprite now uses the right Palette
    • Fixed up transparent pixels on Sonic on Title Screen
    • Title Card art now contains "Sonic" instead of "Mighty"
    • Fixed shifted lines of art for "Mega Monitor"
    However, this hack still contains some minor problems. There still may be transparent pixels in some art. The 'Switch character to Mighty' monitor still contains Mighty's art due to the fact that I cannot find the position of its art. Special Stage sprites are also kind of weird.

Note that this hack still does not work in Kega. By trial and error, I have figured that Chaotix has a special checksum check routine within it's code that disables the slave or master SH2, causing the game to do weird stuff like flicker the screen. I have tested this in other 32x games as well by changing a single byte, but they still work fine. Drx says they probably intended to do this to piss hackers off, and I AM quite pissed at this. However, Gens bypasses all this, so until we find a solution, we'll just have to use Gens.

Credit for the new shaded sprites goes to Heran Bago and KojiChao. Heran actually held on to these sprites knowing some day they'd be needed. And because I could not find them anywhere on the internet, I asked Heran Bago if he had them, and he just so happened to have them. What an awesome guy! As for KojiChao, she is probably the best spriter in the world. Thanks a whole bunch. Also, thanks to SGR for testing, pointing out sprites, and for the Special Stage sprites. Thanks to my C++ Port of Chaoxed, and again, drx for the cracking of the art compression format.

Download - (1.84 MB)

If someone has the ability to test this out on the real hardware, please contact me.

Opinions and Comments would be appreciated. And in case you were interested, here are some pics:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

OMG, this hack is sex.

3. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    *joygasm*
    Nice work! I liked revision 01, and this is much better then that. Truely amazing.

4. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Downloaded. :)
    Making it work in Kega means it would mean having a good chance it could work on hardware.
    Great stuff, keep it up.

5. Bonic

Bonic

Sonic DS, New Sonic The Hedgehog
    I hope this guy adds tails in soon :)

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Tails may be a possibility, save the actual Tails, if he uses "Wechidna"'s slot (since that was originally tails anyway). It'd be hard to get the abilities right, though, so it may not be worth it unless he can port the tails object (the actual tails) over.

7. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    I bet it's possible. If animating the Tails' tails when he stands still is a problem, then just leave 'em unanimated. (At least that's what I'd do. =P)

Edit: Sonic's color palette in the Bonus Stages (the giant rings that are hidden in the stages, not the ones at the end) is not correct. Mighty's Palette is still used.

This hack is great and all. My only complaint is that when Sonic enters a Special stage, he wiggles when he runs and it irritates me to no end. (read: he goes off center.) If that could be fixed, I'd appreciate it. :)

8. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    I found a major bug, and I'm surprised no one has caught it yet.

Anyway...

When you select Sonic in the combi catcher, the game will CRASH. I have already pointed this out to JJFTails and I'm sure he'll fix it soon.

9. Crysta

Crysta

Oldbie
    sonic's arm seems to disappear when he ducks :P

10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

The same thing happens in Crackers. And this sprite set is heavily based on Crackers' one.

11. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    It shouldn't be too difficult to have both Sonic and Mighty playable, as long as characters are managed by the 68k.

12. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Hmm, this is really good, but the Special Stage walk/run sprites seem to be shifting back and forth a lot. Methinks it's because Chaotix flips the animation frames to save space... so you should shift the sprite over a few pixels to the other side to solve this.

Keep up the good work!

13. Wurly

Wurly

:| Tech Member
    Thing is, we don't exactly know where the code for loading characters, character selection, and etc. actually are. And even because of that, we don't know if it's 68k code or SH2 code. Well, I'm probably wrong =P

Thanks guys, but I know this already =P
    But thanks for all the comments/praise guys! And keep up the bug reporting; it's needed for revision 03 =)

14. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    It's definetely 68k code which handles the character objects, however it's Sh2 code which parses their sprites and puts graphics on the 32x VDP

15. Robjoe

Robjoe

Dunno if you've seen this, but when I tried to play Techno Tower act 3 with two Sonics, the game hung at the screen where the two characters spin in a circle, and the titlecard never came.

Still though, very, VERY awesome work you've done here. I can't seem to get enough of this. =D

16. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie
    This hack is excellent. You did an awesome job. Just for not, only one thing you should fix on Special Stage spinning sprites, where in one frame, the white dot is transparent.

17. Nicholas Onimura

Nicholas Onimura

Lurker Member
    You are truly awesome for this. Find out how to port Tails and you will be my new god.

-Nick O.

18. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
    Get it to work in Kega, and I'll DEFINITELY download it. I'm sick of having to use Gens/Plus because some hacks refuse to work in the superior Kega. =P

19. ChaotixTails

ChaotixTails

Custom title member Oldbie
    ...If it's superior, why don't hacks work for it?

<3 This is kickass.

20. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
    Because Gens is far too lenient with the programming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.