don't click here

Sonic Heroes Retexture Project of sorts.

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Herm the Germ, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Yep, I went there. I started a project that retextures Sonic Heroes of sorts. Well, mostly the characters anyhow - my tool tends to corrupt most of the other files. I'll show some screenshots and comment on what's different now.

Team Sonic #1
    What do we have here? Well, their colors are a little different and somehow, the texture responsible for the already overemphasised glossyness looks weird. And, even if you can't see it on Sonic, the eyes have been replaced with more detailed textures created by Kojichan on DeviantArt.
    ... I really need to rework their glossyness.

Team Dark #1
    Same deal, basically - Shadow went from dark-gray and red to black and red (as he should be), Rouge's eye-color has been fixed, Shadow's and Rouge's eyes have been improved, Omega now looks far less pink-ish due to glossyness, and speaking of which, their glossyness seems to look okay.

Chaos Inferno #1
    Oh, and they now have the purple Chaos Emerald in all it's glowiness with them.

Chaos Inferno #2
    Oh, and Omega now fires a yellow-greenish laser blast instead.

Team Chaotix #1
    Some more color changes, glossyness on Espio needs more work, Vector's belly is a lil' more detailed, I guess... And the eyes were upgraded again 8D

Team Rose #1
    Amy seems a lil' bright. Oh well. Glossyness can probably be considered okay, considering the source-material. Eyes on Cream and Amy were improved, too. : D ... oh, and Big has his stripes back (for all those who don't know, a mistake in Big's texture in the PC-Version at least causes him to only have one-colored, purple fur instead of his two-colored, striped fur).

And now, for my proudest accomplishment so far... : D

And if any of the staff thinks this should be somewhere else on the board, be my guest and move it.

... also, keep "nothing's changed!" comments low, please. Take a look, compare to a regular, "no no-gloss-patch" version and... I dunno.

EDIT: First release. http://h.imagehost.org/download/0904/playmodel

2. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    In my Sonic Heroes hack, I removed the gloss altogether.

Hedgehogs and foxes aren't supposed to look like glass.

3. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    I am not so sure if I wanna go for a no-gloss version just yet - they tend to look kinda jello-y to me that way. I'll just keep experimenting, I guess.

4. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    Is it possible to keep gloss only on stuff that should logically be glossy, such as Omega in his entirety, Rouge's outfit, Sonic's shoes, Espio's metal plates on his braces, etc.?

5. Infiniti

Infiniti

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Member
    UK
    Nice work there, it looks much better then the regular title screen art. The only changes I've made to my Heroes PC is removing all the text and voices from the game, leaving minimal voices in-game (such as when you switch between partners and some attacks/moves)

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I thought the originals were fine; honestly the gloss strikes me as far more glaring, if you will, in these modifications.

7. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Removing the gloss makes characters look really flat and gross, though. I have a patch around here somewhere that I made that simply reduces the gloss so that they look a little more normal.

8. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    Partially, it is possible. I can make it so Omega looks like an actually metallic robot there by now, I guess. Espio's metal plates shouldn't be that much of a problem, either, I guess. But most characters just have either one universal gloss texture file (basically a shiny ball of light) that goes all over the place, OR the file isn't clearly identified in what it changes. ... course, maybe if I just colored them strongly so to have a hint at what they make glossy, I may be able to at least REDUCE the glossyness to some parts, like Big's belt's ring thingy.
    tl;dr: It's very difficult, prolly impossible.

Thanks, I thought so, too. : D

Yeah... I still am experimenting with that. I kinda wish I could just get my hands on Shadow the Hedgehog's texture files - the models seem to be straightly ported, with modifications to the gloss, among other things, and it looks kinda toned down there.

Hey, do you think you could kindly find that one for me? I may have some ideas I may be getting from there (of course I wouldn't wanna steal or anything - just lookin' for ideas, mostly. ^^; )

Hey, say. Does anybody here know of a program that can correctly decompress the stage- and some other misc. textures? Whenever I try to do that, something is either missing or I get an Expansion Memory something error. D:

9. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
  10. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    Hm, the general gloss looks interesting to say the least - gotta wait till I can access the "Heroes"-PC tomorrow, but, thanks already. That mighta given me an idea.

11. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    They did it right here:
    [​IMG]

Why did they make Sonic shiny?

12. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Because little kids are attracted to the shiny, since obviously that's what they were aiming for.

13. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    Now, if only they coulda ported and prettified the models from there. D: That'd make stuff look so much cooler, probably. Eh, whatever, gotta work with what I got.

Speaking of which, new screenshots tomorrow.

14. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Close, but I think they got it right in SA1. You know. When they gave him fur

15. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    So, like, did the fur disappear in SA:DX, or what? Because I cannot remember an instance of non-glossy fur in there, and there just aren't good screenshots of SA on the net (at least not when I try to find them) to prove what ya say, Blanche.

16. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    I think I like when they only slightly imply Sonic's fur, like in the appearances that have him look somewhat like he's made out of clay.

It's not an overly plain look that has them looking like animated porcelain figures, but it's not overly distracting either.

17. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    As far as I care to remember without cracking out the game, they used the textures or possibly even the models from SA2, or something like that, thus removing the soft, furry texture Sonic had

18. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    [​IMG]
    They didn't re-use the SA2 models, but they did get rid of the fur for those characters whose models were changed. It's blatantly obvious if you look at the 2D graphics for things like the "How to Play" and ending images since they didn't bother to come up with updated replacements.

I personally think textures like the above are a bit odd looking. Reminds me of how Donkey Kong looked in the 3d renders for Donkey Kong Country before Rare switched to improved fur-rendering.

19. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    To be honest, I don't see anything but a heavily compressed JPG that causes blocks to appear where the fur MAY be visible. And, as far as I can recall from the Tutorial-screens on SA:DX (Can't be assed to play the game now), they were just very plain textures there, too.

20. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    [​IMG]

SA1 left, SADX right.

Same texture from both games,see the difference?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.