don't click here

Sonic Generations - we still haven't played it

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 360, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    I'll probably like the game, but I don't think I'll ever like Sonic's face according to Uekawa. He always looks like an asshole to me.

I'll only care about it half the time, but still. It'd be cool to have someone who draws like Oshima take the helm. Like Oshima. In the meantime, the logo is actually quite nice and I have moderate hopes for the game as of now.

2. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I actually liked Uekawa's Sonic art, like on the Sonic Advance boxes, especially in the face department. Most Sonic art by everyone else makes him look like an ass, but Uekawa's makes him look... modest.

3. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Sonic's only ever been drawn by either Uekawa or Oshima. What do you mean?

His Advance artwork ... eh. It makes him look slightly less douchey, but it only goes down-hill from there. Maybe it's all the stupid hand gestures and gang signs Sonic keeps trying to lay down, or the fact that he's always staring at me with the same irritatingly unchanging expression. I dunno. I just know I liked Sonic better when he looked cuter and sported more expressions than a teenager who buried his face in the snow for two hours.

It matters to me only on a whim, though, whenever I happen to see Sonic the Assface. I'm honestly more curious about the content and advertising of this game, particularly whether or not it'll be some weird contrived plot to justify bringing back all these classic stages in full 3D, and whether than 3D will be more like Adventure, Unleashed, or Colors.

4. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    That statement is very wrong, think about. US box art of ass face Sonic was drawn at STI. The Japanese box art was drawn by Akira Wannatabe. The art director or character designer of every Sonic game will get a say in how Sonic appears in that game, and it hasn't always been Oshima or Uekawa, Hoshino for example is behind the Heroes and ShTH character designs.

5. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Hm, I just realized some sorta pattern -- the 10th anniversary game gave us E.G.G.M.A.N as Eggman's theme and it'd return in LeeBro Remix form in Shadow the Hedgehog...

The 15th Anniversary game gave us the Theme of Doctor Eggman which would return for Sonic Unleashed and Colors.

So, think that they're actually working on a new theme here for Eggman for whatever the hell this title's gonna be?

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Honestly I hope they keep the current Eggman theme. I like that song, and I like the sort of consistency lately with the 1up theme and Eggman's Theme.

In fact I wish Sonic 4 used the Eggman theme in some way. Better than Robotnik's Carnival music.

7. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I hope it does, and also gives a new personality to eggman, the current stupid eggman makes me mad. the one from sonic adventure and sonic adventure 2 was perfect in my opinion. Also, I hate that theme.

8. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Eggman wasn't really stupid lately -- he messed up on a couple of occasions, sure (yell at what is essentially all evil in the world manifested in a giant, 7-eyed lizard thing; not checkin' on a weapon's operationability before firing it) but overall, he seems to get his act together more-so lately. Hell, he didn't even rely on some sealed evil in a can in his latest plot. :B

9. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Maybe not his actions, but the overall attitude of the games surely is. And he also does look like that, at least to my eyes. I see him now as a bad guy in general , and doing evil things just beacuse he is the bad guy,being more centered on saying sarcastics replies to his stupid robot minions and to sonic, than in doing his plans work.
    Back in the sonic adventure days, he was more like a guy who did wheteaver possible to make his plans work, with no remorses if he needed to do evil thing to do so, but not doing evil things for the sake of being evil as now.

Sorry if I did not explain properly,english is not my mother language

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Can't say I'm a massive fan of Eggmans current theme to be honest, but I don't want to see it replaced either. The series doesn't have enough consistency, so keeping the whatever few things that don't change is a good thing. I'm still bummed out about how they decided to stop using the S3 end of level theme in Unleashed and Colours.

11. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Eggmans fucking hilarious now and it's awesome

I don't want generic evil villain in the shape of an egg from Adventure 1 back :colbert:

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Actually that did make me sad though. They have to bring that Sonic 3 end of act song back. It was iconic

13. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    I can't speak for everyone, but I recently went back to SA1 out of nostalgia, and dear God it feels like a completely different game from the one I remember playing. Controls are looser than I remember them being, I'm spin-dashing into people I'm trying to talk to, clipping through walls I wasn't clipping through before, having the hardest time running in a straight line.

To its credit, it had a pretty decent plot (cheesy as all hell, but largely forgivable), at least before they started to use it for every damn game up through Unleashed (apparently Colors doesn't end with a goddamn lizard or supernatrual being, so kudos to them for that), the music was awesome (I liked the synths they were using, as opposed to all-out rock guitar like SA2, Heroes and Shadow went for - and even then, the guitar tunes in the first Adventure felt better overall), et cetera. The game COULD be as good as I remember if they ever redid it from scratch to fix up many of the niggling issues with controls and collision... but we all know they're not going to do that.

14. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I never really liked Adventure DX. Concept wise I liked the levels, but not much more. Half the time for me, the challenge came from a glitchy camera.

15. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I also meant the American box-arts as well as box-art 3D renders. Except for Sonic Heroes' case, they usually make Sonic look like a jerk. Sonic Chronicles' box-art just makes him look derpy, but that's beside the point. Still, I appreciate Sonic Chronicles' box art because its actually art and not a 3D render.

16. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    The only real problem I have with Adventure these days is the Water Serpent thing in Lost World. I'm always wrestling with the camera there and worried I'm going to fall off and die.

Unlike most people though, the XBLA port of the game really only served to reignite my passion for Adventure, surprisingly, so. Erm. Yeah.

17. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    The camera? My problem in the Water Serpent segment was Sonic slowly dragging off the surface as it moves through the water.

I really can't see how the camera was such a huge problem in that game. It might have been jerky on occasion, but I still haven't come into many serious problems with it.

18. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I went and played SA1 on the Dreamcast and then played the PSN version. It was clear when I started the PSN version that the movement felt much sloppier, the framerate was staggering, I was struggling to keep moving straight, the loading was worse and (obvious moment) the newer models sucked. Most of the blame for how pitiful the XBLA/PSN version of the game is goes to the fact that the game is the port of a port of a port of an already moderately glitchy Dreamcast title.

19. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    That's definitely an issue too, I just always like to see where it's headed (so I can spot platforms ahead of time) and it's just difficult to keep that view most of the time. The whole thing just makes me nervous really.

20. nullaccnt

nullaccnt

Time to move back on topic, guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.