don't click here

Sonic Generations technical oddities & flaws (Unpaid betatesting)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I've tried it a million times. You cannot jump out of it inbetween the two tunnels or after the two tunnels. You can only jump out of it if you're going backwards.

These fixed moments really fuck with the speed runs. You're forced to go through them at the speed and angle the game wants you to go through and there's always a major possibility that they won't work.

2. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Yeah I find speed running Difficult because of the forced angles mostly, I dunno what it'd be like if I were in control of my actions.

Another issue I have is that if a spring shoots you next to a ledge I remember it moves you across so that you land onto the ledge. I can't play the game right now so I might be talking rubbish, but I'm sure I was trying to do it at the underground (bird noise double swinging platform) section, where those crabmeats are, but couldn't keep bouncing'on the springs because I'd just land on the edge.

3. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Actually, that happens if you Spin Dash, as well. I think it's because the edge of the ledge is rounded—the physics cause Sonic to try to run around the edge and he winds up flying off halfway, moving toward the ledge as he does so. That's what it seems like to me, anyway.

4. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Actually, the only thing they did was force Sonic into rolling mode and give him a bit of boost to the right. In fact, it isn't even "scripted", it's one object at the beginning of the tube that does this when Sonic isn't rolling and is colliding with it.

5. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I have no problem with the way S-tubes shoot you at a specifically high speed. Sonic CD did it, and I was all cool with that.

6. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    That's basically still scripted.

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    EDIT: Trash please. can't word this correctly.

8. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Which changes the function not at all. Huzzah for dodging the point.

I don't care what the "object" is, all that matters is what happens in the game when you play it.

9. Oh. Well, I only tried it going backwards, so...

I don't usually go through those tubes anyway, since I tend to take the other path.

10. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Dunno if it has been mentioned, but I hate how you can jump beside the breakable rocks, and have them break. I know there is that rock blocking one of the paths that you have to roll into (And it really doesn't serve much purpose), but I'd prefer if you had to actually jump ontop of them to break them.

11. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    This annoyed me too, just another small way of making Sonic games less effort. I usually jump onto them deliberately anyway, I feel lazy if I don't :/ .

12. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    I'm just not understanding why they feel the need to take control away from us at all, its like they don't trust us to play it, you can't jump in the double "s" thing with the motobugs in (why would you, but thats not the point)

But the springs are the biggest annoyance for me, I know its been said before, but the "set distance" before you get control back, I just don't understand why thats is thought to be a good idea, it just plays back too the aformentioned "its like they don't trust us to play it", we know how springs work, and if we didn't, its not rocket science.

There was this horizontal spring on the higher path that leads to a quarterpipe, but if you hit the spring, you cant do anything untill you reach the top, you cant spin, jump or break. its taken away that kinda "NONONONO!" factor when you know you have made a mistake and instantly try and go back, but now we have to wait for scripted springs to decide when they are finnished with us.

13. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Damn dude, I keep realizing they just can't get this right. Why use MORE effort to take away our control than not to?

About jumping, at some parts, you jump look like there is a roof at the peak of your jump and you just start to go down suddenly. Well, I only notice this when Sonic isn't moving left or right. Dunno if it's everywhere or what.

14. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    テキサス、アメリカ
    Hybrid Souls Card Game
    We live in a time where game developers don't like to give players too much control. lol.

15. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    One thing that's been bugging me that I don't think has been pointed out yet is how in the classics, if you jumped down a quarter pipe and held down, you would land on the curve rolling, and pick up a lot of speed. When I try to do that in Generations, I don't even get into a roll.

16. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    My complaint list:
    . Rolling isn't affected by slope formation whenever it should be. It'd definitely help in making this game feel more like a true classic experience.
    . The scripted stuff is silly and unnecessary. I'm not sure why sideways springs take away your control temporarily, and the same goes for some areas such as the first two S-tubes. As for some things like the around-the-canyon loop, there should be no trouble pulling off dynamic camera stuff while also giving the player full control, especially since it's just two dimensional movement.
    . Zephyr's right; I should be able to go into a roll if I jump then hold down as I come in contact with the ground.
    . Doing a short tap / first tap with the Spindash makes Sonic do a painfully slow crawl-roll. That really screws with speedruns.

Little things that bother me some but it won't be torture if it's not fixed:
    . The fixed bounce height thing. It'd be awesome to be able to bounce really high off an enemy from a huge fall.
    . The spindash could maybe be a little less sensitive from the get-go. Maybe require more than, say, two taps / holding for a second to reach maximum Spindash speed?

Even with these issues apparent, I still don't mind the gameplay at all. It's still loads of fun, and honestly I've never run into any laggy controls.

17. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    yeah the rolling is a major flaw

18. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    I noticed something else, I know its totally not important in the slightest, but when you look up and down, it dosen't move the camera. Come on, get your sh*t together SEGA lol

19. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Oh, has anyone said anything about the lack of pushing animation?

20. serpx

serpx

SEGA should just have Retro do their beta-testing for Sonic games, and use the extra cash to further improve game quality. Win-win.