don't click here

Sonic Generations technical oddities & flaws (Unpaid betatesting)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Runner

Runner

Long time no see, old friend. Member
    If you release the jump button while bouncing up you will cut the jump height.

2. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    glad to see some of you know the fun and how useful bouncing is in sonic games :) I always feel alone and moaned at when I bring it up on gaf or somewhere else.

3. TheBalishChannel

TheBalishChannel

A skull raft, nothing below me but boiling lava.
    Sonic The Hedgehog 1 / CD Sonic sprites & pallete in Sonic The Hedgehog 2, no Tails.
    Some of the technical flaws I have found:

- Classic Sonic does not seem to slow down when walking up certain hills while his running animation is present.

- After bouncing on a springboard, you cannot start moving until after you've gained maximum height.

- Charging up the spindash, and then letting go straight afterwards, causes Sonic to do a tiny roll that takes forever to end. This is really bad for speed runs.

- Classic Sonic can bounce on a spring just by simply walking into it, rather than jumping on it like the classic games... I could have sworn someone said that was fixed...

- Overall, Sonic feels a lot heavier than any of the classic games. Go play Sonic Generations ACT 1 and then go play Sonic The Hedgehog (1991) ACT 1. It feels way different.

4. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    That is the 3DS version IIRC.

5. Ryuki

Ryuki

Shouldn't there be some delay between Sonic releasing a Spindash and the camera following him? I'm pretty sure in the original games the camera remained static for a short period of time, then caught up to Sonic; this isn't present in Generations; nor is the change in Camera height when looking up or down. >>;

6. Ravi Singh

Ravi Singh

Los Angeles, CA
    The Snake Soup
    Is the PSN/XBLA demo the same build as the one at Sonic Boom?

If so, there's this bug I found that I managed to take a picture of. I also made a video.

7. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Here's an oddity for you: The level roster is incomprehensibly shitty and they need to put the project off another two years to tighten things up. That's not unreasonable, right? I really think we should put that in the first post in big bold letters.

No, seriously! The least we can do is raise a big enough stink to coax an explanation or an apology out of the PR guys/Iizuka, because I'd love to hear some justification for this. I sincerely, genuinely would like to know where they got the idea that a 2/3 modern skew and precisely three distinct level tropes constitutes a sound and robust sampling of Sonic's history.

8. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    That might have to do with the fact Modern Sonic's been here longer?

9. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    By about 3 years. They could've closed the gap a tad if they made good on their apparent resolve to pretend 06 never happened, and it's not like Unleashed really needed some representation here.

Who was it that noted Sega's enthusiasm for counting S3 and S&K as separate titles when it comes down to rereleases? That was pretty funny!

10. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Likely not the most piratical solution, but the best for all parties would be to add one more game to each Era. Sonic 3 for Genesis, Shadow the Hedgehog for DC, and Secret Rings for Modern. With those 3 extra set of levels to pick from, we could get Ice Cap, Cryptic Castle, and Sand Oasis (Snow, Spooky, and Sand tropes). Even assets could be resued. The snowboarding would work easily. Egg pawns are already in the game. It would help build out the game, and offer a bigger variety of venues.

11. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Might as well post my first impressions of the game here as well (I was unaware of this thread when I first posted this).

12. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Pretty much everything I have a problem with in terms of physics has been pretty much said but these are some of the things that I think need attention.

1. Sonic's hold down jump for super jump on enemies and monitors needs to be implemented. I cannot stress how much this plays a key roll in the classics and will do in Generations just by playing a section in the demo version of Green Hill Zone when going for an alternative path.
    2. 60 frames per second. This is the frame rate of the originals and makes for a far better experience.
    3. Eliminate the load times. Find some tricks you could do like load next level while the one you have finished rounds up the score. I find load times a real burden in modern games and the one in the demo for act one is far too long.

13. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Biggest issue I had was response time. I was concerned my controller was the problem but judging by other people's post, it sounds like it's not. The physics are a million times better than Sonic 4's physics but they're nowhere near as good as the physics from the first three Sonic games. My two other biggest complaints is that I really dislike how I can't seem to jump after a spin dash and WHERE THE FUCK IS MY INSTA-SHIELD??? Overall, I enjoyed it and it's a first day buy, but hopefully Sega will make some physics improvements.

14. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    Why be great when good sells? They won't fix anything :|

15. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    also, why cant you long jump? I tried to reach the first upper track you usually reach jumping on the buzzbomber neat the first 2 crabmeats, using only the spindash and jumping at the ledge, like you should do in the clasics, but it was impossible to jump at the ledge! aldo, you can't change directions while jumping in the springs, quite a lot of them are pre-scripted. They make you go right even if you are pressing left and want to go to that platform just at the left side who should be reachable with the spring.
    Sonic is also too heavy. but that has been reported. And maybe, too slow. I didn't notice any speed increase when you get the sneakers monitor.And the camera is too far, I like to see the characther I'm controlling.

16. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    >_>

Because I want it.

17. I hope that the muddied graphics will be more in focused on time of release. That and some of the physics aspects. But other than that just a really good game, nostalga isn't helping but I have a smile from ear to ear!

18. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    I don't think those two could've been skipped. For better or for worse, 06 made for a pretty memorable 15th Birthday. And werehog or not, Unleashed was the beginning of SEGA gaining the fanbase's trust back. The list of games SEGA got is quite good actually- the essential Sonic collection, basically. At the most I'd add Sonic CD, and that's that.

19. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Played the demo. Fell in love with it instantly. Got used to how Sonic controls pretty much a minute into the act.

I would be completely fine if the physics don't get tweaked at all. Obviously, with about 4-5 months of development time we still have it'll probably have few tweaks here and there. The only problems I have is the same as others: rolling doesn't really have any momentum and spin dashing is barely powerful with one tap, TOO STRONG with many taps. That's all I'm really looking forward to with physics fixes.

20. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Actually, according to SEGA's logic, Dreamcast and modern are separate eras. It's 3 Classic, 3 Dreamcast, and 3 Modern.

SEGA's logic also says that Heroes is a Dreamcast era game. Make what you will of SEGA's logic.