don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Demi

Demi

Oldbie
    Nevermind then!

2. Tanks

Tanks

[​IMG]

3. That doesn't count soundtrack rips, though, does it? :v:

4. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    Doesn't matter, the leak is fake.

5. Vandelay

Vandelay

Say Vandelay!
    I don't know if I should be disappointed the leak is fake, or happy that I won't spoil the game for myself.

6. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    That describes the visual issues quite well. Whenever I played I was always confused, not sure where Sonic was, getting myself lost in the environment, having my eyes distracted by the background, and generally not sure what was happening at high speeds to the point where I could not navigate very well (the extremely high speed of Sonic was not helping, especially with the overpowered spindash).

Overall this shows how 'out of it' Sonic Team is. What a series of terrible design choices for a 2D game.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^ I don't think I've ever gotten lost in the environment before when playing the game. It's not that hard to stay focused on Sonic.

I'll admit the motion blur is kinda off though I'll give him that. And I think they fixed the whole super jump thing, that's just scripting gone wrong.

8. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Get your eyes checked then, Kogen. Sonic is BLUE. Everything else is green and brown! If it were an oceanic level, I might agree with you. As it is, there is no excuse for losing track of Sonic.

And I would have agreed with the background thing if this were, say, Sonic Fan Remix levels of business we were talking about here. The backgrounds are pretty loud, but I wouldn't exactly call them busy.

EDIT: Sonic is also the only object travelling along with the camera, which makes him even easier to focus on.

9. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    A reminder that binaries being posted WILL result in a permanent ban from all Retro services. This goes for IRC as well.

10. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Fortunately, there aren't really any binaries to post in this case, are there?

11. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    Gutted! I wouldve downloaded it too :( being as I've already paid for the game at Greenmangames it wouldn't matter anyway, but now I hear its fake D:
    way to get my hopes up retro! :P

12. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Word is that while that one particular link is fake, there IS a real leak going around privately. So there is a possibility the real thing will happen soon, if so.

Better safe than sorry on matters like this.

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Nope, the super jump happens all the time to me still. It's really bad.

I get what people say about not being able to easily distinguish the foreground from the background at times, but it's really isolated incidents where this happens. It's usually not a problem at all.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh really? Well I guess that is kind of a shame then. At least they fixed that wooden loop so you can backtrack now.

15. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    I can see perfectly fine, this game just has terrible lighting, busy environments that distract, and a poor frame rate mixed with overly-fast gameplay. The video was spot on about why it is bad even compared to Sonic 4. It only looks nice in scripted videos and screenshots.

I have played practically every Sonic game and not a single other one distracts me like this. Maybe just Colours/Unleashed when it zooms out too far. Generations has serious problems with Classic Sonic visually (at least in GHZ, anyway).

16. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Can't I just go to Trader Joe's in peace? You know what I mean regardless if this particular incident is "real."

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    >Implies Classic Sonic gameplay is overly-fast

... What? Regardless, Classic GHZ is a bit busy in the background, and I'll admit, in those screen caps for the levels I have no idea what's going on in them. I don't know why they didn't take the Modern 2D BG approach and keep it relatively simple.

Regardless though, as it appears right now, this is only really an issue in GHZ and maybe Rooftop Run. I can't imagine/haven't seen any of the other levels presenting this same issue, which tbh, isn't as bad as you're making it out to be.

Then again they probably had to make GHZ look busy so it'd look different then Seaside Hill. Also it's the first level, so they want it to look nice and pretty. And maybe it's your TV that makes it harder to see (and no, I'm not defending this game to the point that I think you need to go out and buy a new TV. I'm just saying, I have a 32 inch TV and I can see fine, I don't know what it's like on something smaller. Maybe it's more of an issue on smaller televisions like Banjo Kazooie's Nuts and Bolts small font)

18. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Maybe you just get distracted too easily. =3

I seriously am not seeing eye-to-eye with you on this, though. I can keep track of everything that's going on more than well enough to play like a pro. Is anyone else in here having this problem?

19. Vandelay

Vandelay

Say Vandelay!
    Anyone notice that if you crouch, Crabmeat's rockets clip through Sonic? even sliding under them as they are practically inside you ensures you won't take damage.

[Kind of a shameless plug but just look at 0:36 to see what I mean]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwwk0haArPE

20. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    NO WAY? NO WAY!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.