don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    It's a composite video of the clips in the interview.

2. Felik

Felik

I hope they will change transition from normal bgm to "boost" bg. Because right now it sounds like music gets broken.

Anyway this is SPECTACULAR. Once again a Sonic game that looks GORGEOUS.

And I can't believe that we finally are getting a mainstream Sonic Game that entirely consists of core Sonic gameplay.
    Last time it was Sonic Heroes (well... and Sonic 2006 but eh...)

3. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    That doesn't make sense here. There's no skip in the video near that part, so the counters really do change in real time.

4. Felik

Felik

That was editing. If you listen carefully you'll notice that music also backtracks a few seconds at that moment.

5. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    For anyone worrying about little problems with the physics, I noticed a couple, too (notably C.Sonic not rotating when he hit a curve at high speeds and running right up a wall while still facing it). These are the types of things I ran into all the time in the early days on SFR and my GM engine, so I imagine the physics aren't final yet.

I would also guess that this suggests that they are recreating the physics from scratch, which is encouraging.

Oh, and w00t at mute C.Sonic (it's better than getting stuck with a bad voice) and M.Sonic's improved trick system. I continue to drool.

And in reply to Frozen Nitrogen (over 10 pages too late), C.Sonic doesn't make a bad game good, but he makes a good game better.

6. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Let me watch it again.

Huh. That is weird. But it's not flashing from 7 to 2. It's flashing from 1 to 2. Still weird but eh. Maybe it's a composite of the videos these people had. They have an extended jumping fish sequence, after all. The ring count changes too, from 100-something to 43.

7. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    It just worked out really well, as this is a scripted event. If you pay attention, you can hear the BGM is at a different spot.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Holy crap that sign post is awesome. I love how after it's done spinning Sonic on the sign does a little animation (which looks totally awesome right now)

Also this whole damn game just looks gorgeous. Lovin every second of this game that I see.

9. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    OOPS, looking at the extended video, it seems I owe MegaDash an apology.

It IS Apotos rather than Shamar.

10. Steven M

Steven M

Love the gameplay. Love the gameplay. Hate the music.

Edit: sold on the Classic gameplay, pretty much. No real complaints, although I'm sure further analysis will yield some from other users. It almost reminds me of Rocket Knight [2010], possibly because of the artstyle. Modern Sonic looks much the same as Sonic Unleashed/Colors - will the lack of extra powers/Wisps detract from the gameplay? I can see some people who enjoyed Colors missing the multiple paths offered by drills and lasers, but we'll have to see how linear or multi-layered the level design is. The rail grinding system seems to be the same as ever - long expanses of rails really sticking out in the level. Someone brought up the origin of grinding in SA2 and I find myself agreeing with the more 'natural' placement of grinding opportunities - I'm reminded of City Escape being all but confirmed for this game and I rather hope they don't cock that up. Still hate the music.

Edit 2: also the Classic Sonic shown in the first trailer isn't the same as the Classic Sonic shown in-game. It's the eyes. Maybe America gets the 'attitude' Sonic for their version of Generations and Japan gets the 'bouncy' Sonic?

11. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Wait, what? Frozen Nitrogen apologizing to ME?

I WON AN INTERNET

Seriously, though? It's totally Seaside Hill powered by Unleashed. Just replace that part with the weird 3-man buggy with a high-speed grind rail section.

12. This game just looks amazing in my eyes... I can't say how many times I've watched the original trailer, the interview, AND NOW A FULL GREEN HILL RUN THROUGH?!?!
    *pants creamage* :specialed:

I really have no complaints about Classic Sonic GHZ. I love it... Keep it up SEGA.

But however....hmm Modern Sonic....
    Modern Sonic's music for GHZ well... its okay bordering suckish. Its a bad remix of a tune we pretty much all know. It sounds as if they took a record and turned it on and off at the ends of phrases to emphasize it a little more...but its not working out and it just sounds like a broken phonograph.
    Yet there is a good side... I love what they are doing with the boosting and speeding up the music to suit Sonic's progression through the landscape. It really suits the situation.

Question though:
    Am I correct in thinking that Modern Sonic's levels are totally new or mixed between new and classic GHZ? If this is so then I can think it is safe to say that this trend will continue through out each zone/level, even to the extent of saying that Classic Sonic in later levels (such as the speculated City Escape from SA2) may go total platforming classic goodness (only as long as it has good level design).

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

What's all this about? The wall above Sonic.
    [​IMG]

It's not spikes because they don't have a red base. It's either:
    1- For wall-jumping. Only thing is they look quit far apart to use without air-dashing/boosting.
    2- For Knuckles to climb. I hope so, and know it's not gonna happen either.

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Doesn't look that far apart for wall-jumping to me. Probably just a wall jumping region.

15. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    It appears to be shaping up to be a solid game, though I'm still going to be waiting to play it for myself before I pass final judgement on it. Only complaint I have right now is that the music for modern Sonic in that gameplay video is awful.

16. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    did I see uncurling?...

17. Amethyst

Amethyst

Just watched that gameplay video.
    Hell, this concept is an amazing idea and judging by the video SEGA are pulling it off quite well.

I REALLY FUCKING HOPE THEY DON'T SCREW IT UP.

(Also, horeyshit the scenery is enormous in comparison to classic Sonic, but hey, I like it)

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Yes. It's been brought up a lot before. There appears to be one or two scripted ramps where this happens. Ruby did say that you can roll of an edge and not uncurl though.

19. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    No, I think it was an illusion or an older build, Ruby Eclipse said that there is no uncurling.

EDIT: Ninja'd

20. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I'm hoping that this is the case. I HATED uncurling in that abomination they called sonic 4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.