don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    The new results/rank theme sounds really catchy.

2. Demi

Demi

Oldbie
    Oh hell yes, I love that he mentioned that the orange warning signs for pits can be turned off! This pleases me alot!

3. sandwichbars

sandwichbars

From what I observed, different rankings = different ranking theme, obviously expanding on what Unleashed did.
    EDIT: Seriously, I really hope SEGA's been keeping a close eye on this thread, there are a lot of good points buried under near 600 pages of pointless discussion.

4. Unleashed had the same ranking theme, but just played in a different way. For example, if you got a low ranking it played a meloncholly version of the theme, if you did well you got a happier exciting theme. That's one of the few aspects of the game I actually enjoyed.

5. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    I wouldn't say "melancholy" and "exciting"... I'd much rather say "the orchestra is doing as good a job as you did".

6. gold lightning

gold lightning

7. Rokkan

Rokkan

I want to reply to this post to just say this: I have an insane amount of respect of the teams behind Sonic Adventure and Sonic Unleashed because they both did those games with a lot of love and care, and really tried to make Sonic's big triumphant return, to make him hip and cool again.

But that doesn't make Sonic Adventure not be a game that didn't age very well. And that also doesn't make Sonic Unleashed's many flaws go away. Sonic Colors was initially just going to be a parallel Wii version of Sonic Generations, but it ended up being its own game - better than Unleashed, which was a game that was tailored to be Sonic's big return.

Really, love and care can make something come out great, but that isn't a scientific fact. If that was true, Ed Wood's movies would be really great.

Either way, I agree with you. The reason a lot of recent Sonic games haven't been great is just that they just aren't - following the classic design and adding things to it would be great, but recent Sonic games can be up to par with them without having to resort to that, Sonic Team just needs to step the fuck up and stop resorting to flashyness to fake actual content, and make great games. I'd love to have back the art direction, the game design, and the whole mood of the classics, but I'm more concerned about actual great games, that I can replay over and over again much like I do today with the classics.

little secret: The only classic Sonic game I really liked was Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and even though it was Sonic 3 and Sonic 2 that got me into Sonic, it was Sonic Adventure 2 that really got me back into the franchise, but getting older and more mature is how I really really got into Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and Sonic CD and how I got frustrated with the newer games.

8. sandwichbars

sandwichbars

Oh c'mon, maybe eh wasn't a Sonic fan like THE REST OF THE FUCKING REVIEWERS ON EVERY GAME SITE EVAR

9. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

But surely such a basic fact should be known to people in that profession? That's stupid.

10. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"

11. sandwichbars

sandwichbars

The whole 4 keys thing sounds strikingly familiar to Sonic Extreme (that Sonic Hawk pitch that never took off).

EDIT: Also, is it me, or is that classic Sky Sanctuary remix sound really plain (especially compared to the original)?

12. Flare

Flare

Loving these orchestral zone themes. Nice footage as well, looks like a fun stage with lots of different paths.

13. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    I'm not gonna watch any full level videos of anything other than Green Hill or City Escape, I'd like to be surprised, although I do keep hearing good things and it's really tempting.

14. Same here. Something needs to be a surprise :P

Not long to go now, I wonder when we'll hear about the last demo?

15. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Level layout is fucking awesome but there are far too many checkpoints in my mind. I'm sure I saw over six Sonic went through which makes me think, where's the challenge.

16. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(SNES)

*runs and hides*

By the way, gotta love all the multiple paths in that Sky Sanctuary video :O

17. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Those 'things you run on to make them hover' should kill you if you hit the ceiling, or there is no challenge (though there are some spikes)...

Fantastic anyway.

18. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    The ones from Marble Garden Zone didn't so I think they are just following suit off them.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    But they never killed you back in Marble Garden zone unless you, well, hit spikes. That's the point. Also remember Sky Sanctuary is level 3, although it looks like a pretty damn long level.

The one problem that comes with this game is level progression. Since it goes by year, strange levels may end up being difficult or easy even if they weren't before. I mean, Planet Wisp could end up being a bitch of a level for all we know, although it's not that strange I guess since it is kinda like Launch Base 2010.

20. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Crap, you beat me to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.