don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I'm really disheartened that there is no mention of a Wii version. I'm thinking of seriously forming a "Wii-volt" because I feel that ever since the downfall of the Dreamcast, Sonic's true "home" has moved over to Nintendo, with just a sprinkling towards the various PlayStations and Xboxes. I was really excited when I received a Wii because there was no way I was going to purchase a "next gen" system for just a handful of games. I did that once already. It happened to work out when I got my Gamecube, but now it's getting a bit unpredictable with what Sonic game will be for what system. I really don't have the money for all systems available and I don't trust buying these things used. I really hope they reconsider this. Is it perhaps that they've gotten sick and tired of "down-porting" to the Wii? It just doesn't make any sense, especially since all these gaming systems are basically at the end of their life cycle.

2. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    I'm sad that there's no mention of a PC version, though that's already expected from SEGA, their last main Sonic port was Heroes, and that one had a complete lack of widescreen support + a tendency to slow down (as in, actually slower) when there was a framerate drop.

Then there was ASR, that completely lacked online multiplayer.

*EDIT* Oh, and Dreamcast Collection SADX, that somehow managed to be a worse port than the 2004 SADX port *EDIT*

3. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    I don't have any sort of specific hopes for this. If it turns out to be good, then sweet! If not - well then, move along as always.

4. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Am I the only one here that thinks this game will most likely play like Mickeymania gimmick-wise?

Also, didn't the original Unleashed trailers also lack the Wii logo? Eventually Unleashed was released on the Wii (even though it was dumbed down). Maybe it isn't any different here...

5. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    On the subject of voice acting, I just wanted to point out that classic sonic HAS spoken before. In-game, at that.

6. Roybertito

Roybertito

Still alive, apparently. Member
    Because shameless speculation is Sonic Retro's bread and butter.

That classic Sonic model is... well, it was enough to get me to post here after another few months of hiatus, so there's that.

I don't want to be excited but damn it I see modern Sonic running on checkerboard mobius strips and an incredible classic Sonic model and I get HYPE.

7. They also ported Sonic Riders. :/

8. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    YES!

bub-BLE!

I'm outta here!

9. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

cue 90-page argument on what exactly the air noise is. For the record, I'm firmly in the camp that it's NOT sonic saying "Bu-bble!" and Sonic Colors reaffirmed it for me :specialed:

10. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Am I the only one who wonders why most of GHZ is white? Wonder if it's just a design choice, or there's some gameplay mechanic at work with the "bleached" areas.

If the PS3/360 are the primary platforms, then you hardly want a Wii version- it'd be a whole different game. Most likely a low-budget, unfinished mess like Unwiished.

11. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Oh, I just remembered that I tried the demo of that one, a long time ago.

My point is, SEGA's not really trying to get a decent grip on the PC market, the most they've done so far is rerelease Genesis games in the Sega Genesis & Mega Drive Classics. In which they just take the roms, package them into an emulator and ship them via Steam.

I really don't care much that SEGA releases bad ports, I just want them to at least port the Sonic games, I still managed to enjoy through SADX and Heroes' porting.

12. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    How could they mess it up like that? No wherehog.

13. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

There's always a chance it could evolve into a superior game, like how Secret Rings began as a port of Sonic 2006.

But I doubt that.

14. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Well, I'unno -- there's at least one section that's part of the final boss fight that, from my observations, managed to stay near identical to it's PS360 counterpart. Now they'd just need to figure out how to do that with the entire game, then they'd have instant access to more profit.

EDIT: Secret Rings began life as a '06 port? Seriously? :psyduck:

15. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Uh, Sega DOES have a decent grip on the PC market. They develop and publish 2 of the most successful PC franchises period - Total War and Football manager.

Not to mention Alpha Protocol, Alien vs Predator, etc.

Yup. Let me blow your mind - Secret Rings is LITERALLY the High-speed levels from Sonic 2006, only completed.

16. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Totally! Just look at all the cool alternate costumes he could have:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know how I ever could have missed these.

AND OH MY GOD THIS GAME BETTER HAVE CHIP IN IT BECAUSE I LOVE HIM AND HE'S CUTE:

[​IMG]

NOT IRRELEVANT AT ALL EITHER

17. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    so...Im going to play devils advocate...

Classic Sonic voice acting?

EDIT: quick ninjas out there

18. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Yeah, I forgot to mention with Sonic :v:

I just want to see a PC port of this :argh:, hell, can you imagine if they hypothetically released modding tools?

19. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace

You're Under Arrest, okay? Member
    Santiago, Chile
    Sonic Paradise.net - Noticias de Sonic en Español (Yes, the "Ñ" will rule the world).
  20. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Honestly? Not really.

Not from the get-go, anyways. It could be something like Rush Hour, where you think Jackie Chan can't speak English until all of a sudden he does.

How would porting to PC work, I wonder? Is the 360 hardware/programming similar enough to suffice a straight port?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.