don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

It's not that. They want to go underwater in 3D, something that hasn't been seen since Sonic Adventure 2 IIRC.

2. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    ...actually...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Maybe we jumped the gun. If I were to be tasked with bringing that ship into 3D, two of the most important things I'd establish right away would be that odd, almost camo-like pattern on the metal, and the sharp, horizontal propellers...I'm not seeing either of those things on the Generations blimp. It also lacks the pilot, cannons, etc. Unless there's more to either of these things I can't remember.

3. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    There are a few different approaches to nostalgia. The poor way to do it is to copy something right smack dab from a previous entry. That's the lazy man's way to evoke nostalgia. That method pretty much blurs the line between nostalgia and rehash.

The proper way to invoke nostalgia is to recall previous works in new ways. Mighty and Ray on posters, Flying Battery Zone flying through Spagonia, the Sonic Adventure 1 box-art pose being the final trick Modern Sonic can do, Classic Sonic's A-rank win pose being a piece of promotional art from Sonic 3, etc.

Stuff like that is what makes fans go crazy. It's the kind of nostalgia Nintendo has been successfully invoking with Mario Galaxy for a few years now. Sega seems to have finally caught up, and just at the right time.

This game is god damn golden.

Flying Battery Zone itself changes appearance within sonic 3 & knuckles:

[​IMG]

There's no way Sega passes up an opportunity like this. that absolutely is FBZ.

4. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Because now that Colors found a way to include underwater sections, there is no longer a reason to still have Insta-Death Water, ever. If utilized, Modern's Seaside Hill would become much deeper (as far as Level Design) and would reduce in (apparent) linearity (and thus increase replay value). Also, it would also give an "Aquatic Ruin in 3D" vibe to the stage.

5. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Where's Classic Eggy? :(

[​IMG]

6. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

This is supposed to be a mashup of classic sonic and modern sonic, right? Those water running stages ARE a part of modern sonic. They were a very big part of Sonic Unleashed, in fact.

Besides, who is to say you can't stop and fall down into a lower zone like you could in colors?

7. FIFE Productions

FIFE Productions

Sonic Retrograde
    Yes, but Chemical Plant never had air bubbles, so it would be a short lived experience.

----

Touche Mykonos, not to mention having the modern Eggman symbol on it.

EDIT:
    Totally missed that.

I'm now a little more indifferent on the subject.

8. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Except we've already seen air bubbles in Classic Sonic's Chemical Plant Zone gameplay.

9. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    My new google desktop wallpaper:
    [​IMG]

I love this shot :).

10. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Flying Battery Zone looking so different makes no sense, all of the stuff they've added has followed the designs it came from so far.

And was that battleship that chased you during AIZ2 really Flying Battery? The same one you jumped on after MHZ? It could very well be just another battleship Robotnik used.

11. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Gentlemen... please don't make me have to do this.

Oh sod it, I may as well just to nip it in the bud before this turns into another pointless discussion as to what Flying Battery is.

That's not Flying Battery in Spagonia... or rather, that's not THE Flying Battery Zone. However, it is A Flying Battery. Just like there are many Egg Carriers, there are many Flying Batteries.

After all, battery is being used under its second definition, "A fortified emplacement for heavy guns", which all three and, for all intents and purposes, every other flying Eggman blimp have been.

tl;dr: No, this isn't THE Flying Battery Zone, but it can be construed into being a Flying Battery for the sake of waxing nostalgia.

Good? Crystal? Super.

12. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Watch this get turned into a 5 page discussion about whether that is Flying Battery Zone or not.

It always ends up like that whenever new pieces of info get released.

13. Retroman

Retroman

That explains why Sonic Retro doesn't start on some days since the servers can't keep up with pages of pointless discussions :v:

Also that picture obviously isn't flying battery zone, it's just the flying battery going over spagonia in Classic Sonic's level...

Obviously the storyline will entwine with the stages, and so forth so we see references like the death egg with modern sonic and so on...

NOT MINI-MODING

14. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    When Sega said they were scouting about for fan input, they may have just been reading through Sonic Retro's threads and plotting ways to troll us all. Like in Tom and Jerry, when Tom was watching videos of his past battles with Jerry and writing down the cause and effects of his past failures. Except instead of doing that to improve their games, its to concentrate their trolling potential.

To the guy who asked where classic Eggman is, one only needs to observe the signposts at the end of any classic Sonic stage. They couldn't do that and not include classic Eggman. Besides, where else would the final boss mech from Sonic 2 be coming from?

15. Retroman

Retroman

I hope the classic fat-man comes back... He was a bigger part of the series to me than Sonic or Tails...

Also, why no love for Knuckles, everytime sega!! Is he cause he acts black, looks Jamaican, but sounds american and his species is australian? or maybe they just don't think knuckles is getting the love he should get?

If sega is really trolling, then just assume 'we' just lost the game :ssh:

16. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I laughed pretty heartily at that. But I agree. Knuckles seems to get the short end of the stick a lot, from the deterioration of his character from Adventure onwards to being missing entirely from games like Unleashed, Knuckles is like the Red-headed stepchild, pun somewhat intended. I hope Classic Knuckles is in Generations - odd thing to hope for, as he most likely will be.

17. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Knuckles is in the game.

18. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
  19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    New classic City Escape Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iW6YeB0lLU&feature=feedu

there have been a couple layout changes, one is that the boosters near the first truck entrance have actually been removed, There are a couple other changes as well

20. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Gametrailers usually deletes videos uploaded on Youtube, so it may not be up for long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.