Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Colors was most definitely a testing ground for Generations. It's no coincidence that it has so many classic badniks, and all the Green Hill badniks, at least, share designs between Generations and Colors. As for multiple music variations, I really doubt that. We're most likely only going to see the two and their minor (speed-up/boost) variations.

2. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Misfit
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    <!--quoteo(post=603858:date=Jul 9 2011, 05:58 PM:name=Crazee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crazee @ Jul 9 2011, 05:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=603858">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm most looking forward to Crisis City, oddly enough. Sonic '06 was a glitchy mess, but in general the concepts of the levels appealed to me. Most of the levels had pretty expansive layouts, with alternate routes and cool gimmicks. The stages also had cool music, but that's a given. If Crisis City turns out well in Unleashed style gameplay, it means two things to me. First of all, the Unleashed engine is capable of working in a level that isn't constricted by narrow passageways and streets. And second of all....it'll make me sad that Sega would never take the risk to remake '06 in the Unleashed/Colors style.

I'm also hoping Classic Crisis City includes elements of a flame level. And the Flame Shield.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    06s shortcomings go way beyond the glitchy engine. It LOOKS shit for a start. The anime style of Sonic (which got bad enough in SA2) had sunk to an absolute low in this piece of shit. Sega must have assumed that all Sonic fans fucking love deviantart, so gave us inter-species romance, kingdoms and all that other shit.

3. LockOnTommy11

LockOnTommy11

Previously SpeedStarTMQ Member
    UK
    <!--quoteo(post=603555:date=Jul 8 2011, 06:16 AM:name=Nova)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nova @ Jul 8 2011, 06:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=603555">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Post<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'd just like to say that your post said something along the lines of "But if you're saying Adventure Sonic isn't represented here", which I was just trying to show why he isn't, because it is split into three eras, which you also said, but because of your former comment, I had to expand upon this.

4. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    <!--quoteo(post=604150:date=Jul 10 2011, 01:06 PM:name=Crazee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crazee @ Jul 10 2011, 01:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=604150">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->At least, the missions sound like they are diverse and include nostalgic references. I got tired of the Secret Rings/Unwiished missions. Collect Rings! Don't break vases! Time attack! Meh.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Heh, well hopefully they'll be pretty good. This game sounds like it's very promising, but as you said, we're at a dead point for information... until a possible "demo 2" gets released :specialed:

5. Crazee

Crazee

<!--quoteo(post=604169:date=Jul 10 2011, 06:41 PM:name=jasonchrist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jasonchrist @ Jul 10 2011, 06:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=604169">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->06s shortcomings go way beyond the glitchy engine. It LOOKS shit for a start. The anime style of Sonic (which got bad enough in SA2) had sunk to an absolute low in this piece of shit. Sega must have assumed that all Sonic fans fucking love deviantart, so gave us inter-species romance, kingdoms and all that other shit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fair enough, but I thought the level design was pretty good and I'm interested to see it manifested in a game that is better thought out and designed. All your criticisms can apply to games as far back as SA2(which you point out), but the essential difference between mediocre and awful games like Shadow and '06 is the gameplay. If the game was technically similar to Heroes or SA2, it would have been viewed as "So okay it's average" and not the complete trainwreck that it became.

Of course, without that trainwreck Sonic Team might still be working on the Adventure design process. Unleashed and Colors have their flaws, but we're much closer to excellence now than at any time since SA1. Sonic Generations is a nice test, to see if the formula is actually getting better each time out as opposed to getting stale like the Adventure engine did. Colors actually improved upon some aspects of Unleashed, which is better than SA2 being SA1 with different characters and story.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    <!--quoteo(post=604247:date=Jul 10 2011, 06:30 PM:name=Crazee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crazee @ Jul 10 2011, 06:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=604247">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=604169:date=Jul 10 2011, 06:41 PM:name=jasonchrist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jasonchrist @ Jul 10 2011, 06:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=604169">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->06s shortcomings go way beyond the glitchy engine. It LOOKS shit for a start. The anime style of Sonic (which got bad enough in SA2) had sunk to an absolute low in this piece of shit. Sega must have assumed that all Sonic fans fucking love deviantart, so gave us inter-species romance, kingdoms and all that other shit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fair enough, but I thought the level design was pretty good and I'm interested to see it manifested in a game that is better thought out and designed. All your criticisms can apply to games as far back as SA2(which you point out), but the essential difference between mediocre and awful games like Shadow and '06 is the gameplay. If the game was technically similar to Heroes or SA2, it would have been viewed as "So okay it's average" and not the complete trainwreck that it became.

Of course, without that trainwreck Sonic Team might still be working on the Adventure design process. Unleashed and Colors have their flaws, but we're much closer to excellence now than at any time since SA1. Sonic Generations is a nice test, to see if the formula is actually getting better each time out as opposed to getting stale like the Adventure engine did. Colors actually improved upon some aspects of Unleashed, which is better than SA2 being SA1 with different characters and story.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Uh oh, sayin SA1 is worse then Unleashed, those may be fightin words round these parts. However I agree with what your saying, I'm interested to see what Crisis City is going to be like in a competent level, one that's not riddled with glitches, loading times, and just poor gameplay. For similar reasons I'm interested in seeing classic Sonic in the modern stages, modern Sonic in the retro stages, and both Sonic's in the Dreamcast levels, because neither generation has really touched those types of gameplays (Yes I know by design Modern Sonic is Dreamcast Sonic but the gameplay is entirely different these days)

7. Shade

Shade

Just gonna leave this here:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyF_mi3ndI0#t=1m10s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyF_mi3ndI0#t=1m10s</a>
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SKcTZNeRnQ#t=0m16s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SKcTZNeRnQ#t=0m16s</a>
    It's the same song

<span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>Me and a friend discovered this a long time ago while drunk and no one believed us.</span> :ssh:

8. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    <!--quoteo(post=604264:date=Jul 10 2011, 07:53 PM:name=Shade)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shade @ Jul 10 2011, 07:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=604264">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Endless Mines<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Welcome to minutes after the Sonic Boom video was released and that connection was made.

-Edit-

Might as well make this post worth something. I feel that the next video will be about Rooftop Run, with a tease for Seaside Hill. I personally want to know more about the 3DS one now that most all of the Console one is out.

9. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    Odds are we aren't gonna see a 3DS demo for a while.

...Or at all, at least until Nintendo stops jerking off and updates Nintendo Channel.

10. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

<!--quoteo(post=604270:date=Jul 10 2011, 08:21 PM:name=SomeSortOfRobot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SomeSortOfRobot @ Jul 10 2011, 08:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=604270">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Odds are we aren't gonna see a 3DS demo for a while.

...Or at all, at least until Nintendo stops jerking off and updates Nintendo Channel.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think the Nintendo Channel supports the 3DS. However, the eShop will eventually have demos up.

Also, based on the leak, I wonder how <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>Planet Wisp</span> will work out in the story. Wonder if it'll be something like Sonic and the Black Knight, during <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>the last part of the story</span> after <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>what's-her-face reveals that she's the antagonist. I liked how the level looked, mostly when you're outside.</span>

11. Nova

Nova

Misfit
    <!--quoteo(post=604273:date=Jul 11 2011, 01:30 AM:name=1stKirbyever)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1stKirbyever @ Jul 11 2011, 01:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=604273">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=604270:date=Jul 10 2011, 08:21 PM:name=SomeSortOfRobot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SomeSortOfRobot @ Jul 10 2011, 08:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=604270">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Odds are we aren't gonna see a 3DS demo for a while.

...Or at all, at least until Nintendo stops jerking off and updates Nintendo Channel.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think the Nintendo Channel supports the 3DS. However, the eShop will eventually have demos up.

Also, based on the leak, I wonder how <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>Planet Wisp</span> will work out in the story. Wonder if it'll be something like Sonic and the Black Knight, during <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>the last part of the story</span> after <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>what's-her-face reveals that she's the antagonist. I liked how the level looked, mostly when you're outside.</span>
    I'm assuming the Time Eater (or whatever the antagonist ends up being called) will start with Classic Sonic's world in the past and when both hedgehogs defeat him, he ventures into post-Adventure territory, stopping off at every major adventure Sonic has had since, including Colours. Let's face it, they're probably setting Generations a while after Colours.

Again, just speculation. Baseless speculation, at that.

12. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I'm expecting the game to start with classic sonic and the modern sonic being sent into the past somehow, since he has act 2 it seems most fitting.

13. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    Here's a thought of how the game could start...

Boot up the game, go to title screen. Start game goes right to Classic Sonic's Green Hill Zone similar to how Colors started with Tropical Resort 1 and 2, and afterwards, the cutscene where Modern Sonic goes to the past happens with him landing in Green Hill alone, so he go off to find answers. Start Modern Green Hill. Next cutscene, Classic and Modern meet, ???, rest of the game.

14. A little while ago, I realized something about my Generations Demo, and I figured I should share my findings with you.

I have all my Xbox 360 data stored on a jump/flash drive USB, and it is where I keep all my stuff so I can easily transfer my save data to different 360s. My profile and all my game saves are on it.

Generations installed itself directly to the drive when I downloaded it. Guess it was because that's where my profile was. It fit on there so I was cool with that. The demo on the 360 I was playing it on was connected to Live and thus the demo had the countdown timer on it. This would not become significant until later.

I take my other 360 (I have 2) on vacation with me, and realize that I forgot the wireless adapter that connects the Xbox we brought. I decided to try out the demo anyways...and look what I saw. (Note: These pics were taken later, but its the same result)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The timer was gone! Now I want to know why.

Was it because I took it off of Live? Was it due to it being on the stick instead of the Hard Drive? Was it because I put it on a different Xbox than the one I originally downloaded?

Help me deduce this!

15. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

O'Doyle Rules Member
    Must be the stick. I just pulled my wireless dongledoohickey and it told me I had one day left to enjoy the demo.

16. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

<!--quoteo(post=604313:date=Jul 10 2011, 11:38 PM:name=RGamer2009)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RGamer2009 @ Jul 10 2011, 11:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=604313">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The timer was gone! Now I want to know why.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If your xbox is set to any date before the trial period starts, it doesn't show the timer at all. (It won't display any number higher than 30 or w/e the max number is) and reverts to "Play the Demo!"

When you disconnect LIVE sometimes your xbox date resets to 2008 or w/e, so thats why it happened

17. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    <!--quoteo(post=603773:date=Jul 9 2011, 02:36 AM:name=Dannyboy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dannyboy @ Jul 9 2011, 02:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=603773">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, I noticed; things tend to get lost occasionally in Megathreads. I think its interesting, but it was probably removed because its kind of superfluously unnecessary in Classic Sonic's game play. Though I guess it wouldn't be too bad if it was included.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What the hell are you talking about? ?" That doesn't make any sense. Especially when you're in the middle of another crappy graphics argument and hey, at least he mentioned something relative to gameplay.

Did you even read my post? I was obviously referring to the 5-Ring Monitor, which I always felt was a bit unneeded in the gameplay. I figured that it wasn't included in the demo for that reason. What part of that doesn't make sense to you?

<span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>Also, your second sentence there is a run-on sentence. Did you even read your post before you clicked "Add Reply"?</span>

18. Delusphere

Delusphere

UK
    <!--quoteo(post=604449:date=Jul 11 2011, 07:19 PM:name=TheInvisibleSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheInvisibleSun @ Jul 11 2011, 07:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=604449">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=603773:date=Jul 9 2011, 02:36 AM:name=Dannyboy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dannyboy @ Jul 9 2011, 02:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=603773">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, I noticed; things tend to get lost occasionally in Megathreads. I think its interesting, but it was probably removed because its kind of superfluously unnecessary in Classic Sonic's game play. Though I guess it wouldn't be too bad if it was included.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What the hell are you talking about? ?" That doesn't make any sense. Especially when you're in the middle of another crappy graphics argument and hey, at least he mentioned something relative to gameplay.

Did you even read my post? I was obviously referring to the 5-Ring Monitor, which I always felt was a bit unneeded in the gameplay. I figured that it wasn't included in the demo for that reason. What part of that doesn't make sense to you?

<span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>Also, your second sentence there is a run-on sentence. Did you even read your post before you clicked "Add Reply"?</span>

I wonder what other stuff got rejected. Hopefully that particular version gets discovered and we find loads of considered items :)

19. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    So I just turned on the Demo, and it read "There are 0 Days left on this demo." I proceeded to play as normal. :psyduck:

I'm not logged into Xbox LIVE, so it may have something to do with that.

20. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    <!--quoteo(post=604661:date=Jul 12 2011, 01:22 AM:name=Skyler)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skyler @ Jul 12 2011, 01:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=604661">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So I just turned on the Demo, and it read "There are 0 Days left on this demo." I proceeded to play as normal. :psyduck:

I'm not logged into Xbox LIVE, so it may have something to do with that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, there are 0 days left technically. =P

You now only have hours left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.