don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diplomacydog

diplomacydog

What did I just read? Member
    South Carolina
    No :(
    I remember that too, it was after Unleashed came out.

2. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    I'd just like to input and say that it was the Sonic Heroes and Sonic Unleashed models that he proved were one and the same.

The Unleashed one merely had shorter arms and greater amounts of polygons.

I might be wrong about it not being the 06 model, but I'm pretty sure it is the Heroes model.

3. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    There is no way the sonic 06 model was the same as any other, just look at that thing! seriously.

4. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Yeah, his limbs are so long that when he jogs into his full run, '06 Sonic flops around like Goofy, or any other tall, lanky cartoon character would when trying to pick up speed. I'm not talking squash and stretch either, he literally looks like he's flopping around.

Unleashed/Modern Sonic has a more rounded head and a softer looking face, while his torso is shorter and rounder. His quills are also a bit shorter and look more "filled out" than they did in 2006. And of course, his limbs are shorter and don't appear as noodle thin as a result. He doesn't flop around like spaghetti when trying to get up to full speed.

5. Delusphere

Delusphere

UK
    Did no one notice I found a 5 Ring monitor ???

6. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Are you sure you're not talking about Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Heroes? Because I remember him doing that, but the '06 model is so much obviously lankier than the Unleashed model that "exactly the same thing" doesn't seem like an adequate description.

7. I did Desusphere, and I never plan on forgetting it. You'll be forever revered as "that guy that discovered the 5 ring monitor in pre-release Sonic Generations footage."

8. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Yeah, I noticed; things tend to get lost occasionally in Megathreads. I think its interesting, but it was probably removed because its kind of superfluously unnecessary in Classic Sonic's game play. Though I guess it wouldn't be too bad if it was included.

9. Delusphere

Delusphere

UK
    I'm just wondering if it was within the Demo anywhere? I'm not too sure if that shot is from the latest version on a much earlier version. But there is a clear difference in the both of them.

10. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I recall this too - it definitely was the Heroes and Unleashed models. I mean, you can tell the difference between the 06 and Unleashed model just by looking at them.

11. Nova

Nova

And it is here that we learn the problems (and dangers) of Megathreads. Nobody gives a fuck about what anyone except themselves says and if you expect somebody to read through an entire page let alone the entire goddamn thread, you're fooling yourself.

Delusphere, good job on the 5-ring monitor but sadly don't expect too many people to notice because they're all too busy arguing about graphical comparisons, design philosophies and other similarly nitpicky bullshit.

12. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I read the whole thread... :flunked:

Well, this megathread is different. When you consider that this is a game which concerns each game in the franchise, inevitably discussions about the varying design philosophies and graphics of the last 20 years will arise.

13. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    Really? I always thought he looked stupid-lanky in Unleashed too.
    Eh, but as I said, it's not my thing. I don't recall rolling my chair forward and squinting at the pixels in '06 anyway, so I'm not in any position to know.
    Disregard my ramblings, move along. :3

14. Delusphere

Delusphere

UK
    Haha, I don't really care tbh. I thought it was worth pointing out. The games went through some changes, so hopefully someone will come across that build and find a lot of unused stuff there too.

Thanks for noticing though lol

15. Dannyboy

Dannyboy

Children, Children, don't be scared. Member
    Toledo, OH
    Level Concepts
    If I have to read through another fucking argument about his fucking visual design that somehow once again turns into a bitch fit about his eyes or something small and unnecessary like that, I'm fucking quitting this site. Some of you people complain about the dumbest things and have e-peen wars over stupid shit and I can't stand it. Talk about the game and design in a well-suited manner, please, I freaking beg you. Not that I matter or that anyone would care if I quit, but it should represent what appeal seeing these threads brings to your average reader, and it's disgusting.

What the hell are you talking about? Did you even read that before you clicked "Add Reply?" That doesn't make any sense. Especially when you're in the middle of another crappy graphics argument and hey, at least he mentioned something relative to gameplay.

Personally, the Unleashed vs. 06 vs. Heroes model talk should be left out of this thread. It has nothing to do with this game and was already done argued and trashed YEARS ago.

Now for the game... I think I like it. The only fit I have so far is something feels wonky somewhere between physics and button input, but I read something earlier about the PS3 inputs being weaker than the 360 inputs. Perhaps I should play it on a 360... BUT! I like the design, the music, and the game is beautiful! One friend of mine had an issue with thinking there was too much on the screen at once though. He couldn't really tell what was going on.

As long as I can still spin-dash jump from small platforms, I'll be good. Because right now... I can't. :(

16. So I'm sure this has been brought up already in this thread, but anything's better than arguing over design bullshit. That Modern mix of City Escape has some really weird guitar composition. Its like it never resolves or goes into an off key or something, and it has a really generic progression. I'd tell you for sure but I haven't done music in about a decade :)

Also, insomnia is a bitch. Just sayin'.

EDIT: Also in case somebody brings it up I'm aware that its based on the multiplayer music from SA2. But it still sounds off.

17. Nova

Nova

Again, wait for the boost version of the track. I guarantee it won't sound half as 'off' as most of you are finding the current version.

I'm interested to see how much better Rooftop Run plays with the gameplay refinements Colours and Generations have bought to the series since Unleashed was released. I say this because I don't know if it's just me, but Sonic seems a lot easier to steer nowadays than in Unleashed. Also, very interested to see what they do with the level itself to differentiate it from the original. Though I'm even more interested in Planet Wisp in HD.

18. Crazee

Crazee

I'm most looking forward to Crisis City, oddly enough. Sonic '06 was a glitchy mess, but in general the concepts of the levels appealed to me. Most of the levels had pretty expansive layouts, with alternate routes and cool gimmicks. The stages also had cool music, but that's a given. If Crisis City turns out well in Unleashed style gameplay, it means two things to me. First of all, the Unleashed engine is capable of working in a level that isn't constricted by narrow passageways and streets. And second of all....it'll make me sad that Sega would never take the risk to remake '06 in the Unleashed/Colors style.

I'm also hoping Classic Crisis City includes elements of a flame level. And the Flame Shield.

19. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    We need a discussion that doesn't involve ascetic complaints -_-

Sooooo, Anyone else catch that piece of info that said each stage (presumably) is going to have 5 or so acts? Well, this game is going to have 9 zones apparently, and Colors had 7 zones with 7 acts per zone (the last being a boss), but something interesting came to mind. Every zone in Colors had at least 3 variations of it's music. Well, maybe this could happen for Generations?

Think of it. Some games like 2006 and Colors had multiple versions of their music, so maybe the same MIGHT happen for Generations. If it does, quite possibly other tracks in the games could have shoutouts to other tracks in the game the stage was originally in, like Act 2 of Seaside Hill sounding a lot like Ocean Palace.

Just something to think about I guess :V

20. Crazee

Crazee

The thing is, data in the game suggests there are five missions for each Act as both Sonics. I hope that doesn't mean that the missions are being considered 'acts', but it wouldn't surprise me at all. Frankly, half the extra acts in Unleashed were gimmicky missions.

At least, the missions sound like they are diverse and include nostalgic references. I got tired of the Secret Rings/Unwiished missions. Collect Rings! Don't break vases! Time attack! Meh.

We really are at a dead time for discussing this game. We probably won't get much new info for a couple months, then Sega will start releasing level trailers like they did with Unleashed and Colors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.