don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    I agree, I was glad they used this theme to introduce him in Black Knight, albeit Instrumental.

2. serpx

serpx

Of course not, I think it sounds perfect, but to each their own. I don't exactly get too nostalgic for this song because, I don't know, Sonic Adventure doesn't seem like that much of an old game to me, compared to the Genesis classics. It surely does look old, but 10 years ago doesn't feel that long away for me.

3. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    While I agree with you, it's crazy to try and pretend that there aren't 3 distinctive gameplay eras. The classic games play loads different from the "dreamcast" era games (Adventure, Adventure 2, Heroes, 2006) and those played very differently from modern era games too (Unleashed, Colors).

4. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off

I like the original better, but I don't feel like being a little bitch over it. It's not that bad. Even if it was, I'd just say it and get on with my life, and that's all I've been seeing for the past two pages. Woopdy fucking do.

One thing I do like about it is that it's different. Seeing as how this is a new game, it's fitting that it's a teeny tiny bit different. Moving on.

Think they might change up Rooftop Run a whole lot for Modern? Music and otherwise?

5. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    I'm sure even the Unleashed and Colors music will get a slight remixing, certainly.

But Rooftop Run and Planet Wisp have probably my favorite tracks from their respective games, so they better do them some sweet justice.

6. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    No and yes. I guess as far as level design goes it depends on its place in the game. Assuming that stages go chronologically, Rooftop Run would be pretty much near-end game material, meaning it would probably be a much harder stage than the original with any luck. Graphically I wouldn't expect much different...aside from trees spurting out of rooftops. :v: I don't really know what I could hope for in terms of a radically new addition to the stage though. Maybe some kind of insane twist on the Werehog's trek upwards through the clock tower; have Classic Sonic spiral upwards like in the GHZ spiral, just not automated, and Modern Sonic could have some crazy platforming section or something. I dunno.

Musically, I could see them adding a new guitar rift, or letting the violin have a bit more prominence...maybe even go for an electric guitar/accordion mix (crosses fingers). Otherwise, I dunno. It'll definitely be interesting to see though, same for Planet Wisps' music.

EDIT: I wanna get this out right now too; I prefer Ocean Palace's music over Seaside Hill infinitely. Hopefully the final material of that will either do a mix to combine both songs, or just stick to Ocean Palace. I have this weird feeling it'll just be a take on Seaside Hill's music though, which is slightly disheartening...maybe that's just me.

7. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US

According to the demo leak.. there was two photos of Spagonia that resemble the hub world section of Unleashed.. but these screenshots don't look like from a hub world in Generations but from the levels itself.. As someone who played the shit outta unleashed, I can tell you the town area appears nowhere in-level (from Unleashed) so this might be a new addition to the Generations version of the stage.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT: I listened to the Modern version of City Escape, don't know if it was mention before but the beginning of the song sounds a bit like "Race to win".

8. ancara

ancara

I just had a funny thought:

What if, when we get the metal sonic boss fight, we get it in two parts? As in the first being either from the Sonic 3&K version, and then a chase to the death ala Sonic CD?

If so, I know that the music that played during Metal Sonic's race in Sonic CD is the obvious choice, but.....

What if instead, they chose Eggmanland's day music instead? I mean, imagine getting to the racing section of the boss fight, ready to finally beat him and get to the next part of the game.....

and then this music plays during the race:

What would you do if this happened? :v:

9. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

I hate to be "that guy", but the song is actually called "Supporting Me", and it's my favorite song in Sonic Adventure 2 due to the dark overtones in its lyrics. (People have compared the lyrics to what a dying man would say to his true love).

Additionally, you are right, a lot of Shadow's songs used lyrics and melded them into the song. But this technique wasn't unique to Shadow nor was it new to Sonic Adventure 2. This technique was also used in the soundtracks of Sonic CD, Sonic 3 (Sort of in sonic 3, just random "Come on!" and "Whooo yea!" in songs), Sonic Adventure 1, and if I'm remembering correctly, Sonic Riders (though this was released after sa2).

edit: Rouge's levels also used this technique, although the lyrics were a bit more clear.

10. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I don't know if quick vocals and lyrics should be in same category with each other, I don't remember any vocals or lyrics in any level songs in Sonic Adventure, and Sonic Riders is a completely different genre of game. It's a racing game, after all. Who cares if it's songs have vocals/lyrics?

11. I'm really digging the guitar work in the beginning of the modern City Escape, super catchy, and dat bass. Initially, I wasn't that into the vocals, but they've grown on me... they were bound to sound different after ten years anyway. Overall, pretty cool.

12. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Up and down and all around

I really don't mind lyrics so long as they're not prominently featured, which is why I like Shadow's songs so much.

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Is that it? That's it?

Yea, not in the same category as full-blown lyrics that carry the song.

14. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    Would I be alone in saying that I don't want Unleashed and '06 in this game?

I mean, a big selling point is that we're getting older levels re-imagined in HD, and all the levels from THOSE games are already in HD.

So it boils down to simple rehashing.

15. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    You're forgetting the fact that they've gone on record and stated that every Zone will not be just a 'rehash' of it's former self, and will have a completely new layout going on.

16. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    True, but don't tell me they're not using the exact same textures and models.

17. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Holy heck, I remember 'Speed Highway 1'. That music is freakin' awesome.

Rock doesn't fit every single scene in Sonic games, but it is cool. I love the guitar work in the Adventure titles. I hope for future games they collaborate with Jun on some more. Even just a zone would be brilliant.

18. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    After listening to the Modern Remix of City Escape and how different it was from the SA2 version, I'm really curious now for all the other remixes (except Rooftop Run, as I doubt it's going to change much, if at all).

I mean, we get new remastered versions of Chemical Plant and Sky freaking Sanctuary as well as Modern remixes of them both, classic visions of everything from Sonic Adventure on, Modernized remixes of the Dreamcast era + Heroes (and I assume Crisis City due to how different the music style was in '06), and even boss remixes. What'll we get from those? We know Death Egg's going to appear, but what version? S2, or S&K? What song will they use? Then there's Perfect Chaos. Will there be Open Your Heart remixed? What will the rival battles use? This soundtrack's going to be a real treat to my ears.

19. Nova

Nova

First, both of you should refer to my avatar.

Second, refer back to this quote from my earlier post.

If you're splitting them up in terms of gameplay style then yes, there's a clear enough split that you can make them three separate entities. However, it seems to me that SpeedStarTMQ at the very least is under the impression that there's three designs for Sonic - which is the most annoyingly nitpicky thing I've ever heard when you're complaining about a lack of SA-era representation.

(Also, while I agree that '06 represented a dramatic shift in the art direction and style of Sonic's design, they immediately retconned it in the next game - he just looks like a higher quality, more refined version of the Sonic we've had since 1999 and guess what - character designs evolve over time!)

20. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    Design intricacies aren't exactly my thing, but I'm fairly sure I remember PolygonJim (or... someone) categorically proving that the Sonic model in '06 and the Sonic model in Unleashed are EXACTLY THE SAME THING.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.