don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to why there isn't a nintendo logo at the end of the teaser?
    Some places on the internet are claiming that Nintendo are putting out a new console soon, so maybe they're holding out for that?
    I thought Colours sold pretty well on the Wii since it's still in the 'top 10 this week' sections of some game shops, so why wouldn't Sega put this game out on a Nintendo console?

2. serpx

serpx

Because the Wii has inferior hardware and it would cost extra to create the game for the Wii, as well as the 360/PS3? SEGA may be marketing this game to a different audience as well, since Classic Sonic is in it.

Edit: Just clicked on the link. I can see Generations releasing on this new console, but if late 2012 is the truth, then there's a hint of doubt. E3 is going to be very interesting this year.

3. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    I agree with this. I also quite like the "Generations" logo on the box-art. It looks "old-styled" if you know what I mean.

I think the blurriness and dullness of the colors of it helps with that, though. I am quite interested in seeing what the final box-art will look like but I won't have a problem if this is it.

4. Oh man, I just had a thought. What if this game ends up having both the Death Egg and the ARK in it? I mean, holy shit, I don't know how they could work both of them into the plot, but it would be glorious.

I really do want to see Sonic 3 and Knuckles Death Egg Zone appear though. Maybe with an added flair of the room from Sonic 2 Death Egg being where the boss is fought at.

5. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    This, I would have a problem with. I like how the renders look at the moment and think it looks decent enough for a Work-In-Progress, but if the actual box were to ship like with all that white space this it'd be more bland than the one for Super Mario Sunshine. This isn't a Batman 1989/Sonic & Knuckles situation where less is more.

6. serpx

serpx

Box-art has to 1) sell a game, first and foremost. Even though Sonic's face can sell a game, I highly doubt those covers are finalized because his name isn't even on the cover!

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with the cover if I was shopping around, but if I was apart of the marketing team, (I have professional background in visual design work, and marketing), that cover definitely wouldn't cut it due to, again, why doesn't it say "SONIC" anywhere?

These were "leaked" as well so they're obviously not ready for public consumption.

7. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

Because "Design Not Final" totally wasn't on the front of both those boxes, right serpx? And are you guys still talking about the design, even though it's been well established that we've said everything there is to say about it? Fuck everyone who encouraged the startup of this retarded discussion again.

I guess there somehow wasn't enough discussion in the prospect that the game designers may be blending over a decade's worth of sensibilities in the level design, fleshing out old levels to feel more full and accommodating to what may follow Unleashed's precedent, and possibly changing the functions of some gimmicks themselves! I really think we should talk about this, and no, I don't mean by a dumb list of every zone you want in the game. Let's start with Green Hill Zone, since that's what we actually saw in the trailer. Yes, worst case scenario it could just be some promotional whatever, but whatever this game is I'm pretty damn sure they're putting in GHZ if Classic Sonic is there as well, some kind of nod to the series' past. Otherwise they wouldn't have done it at all.

So there's three acts in GHZ. If anything's taken from Colors and possibly Sonic 4, since they both have that whole pick an act thing going on, there's a possibility there could be more than three acts. If that's the case, then why create the first three acts to be just like the classics and then have the next few be totally different? Not to mention that they're going to have to be longer than thirty seconds. Okay that's an obvious point, but hey, this thread was still focusing on the design before I posted again, so I'll cover my bases. I'm positive that they have not magically made an engine that has all the nice physics that you guys want, so that means more of daytime Unleashed's level design, since both Iizuka, game magazines/whatever and most players that gave feedback liked that stuff. Also an easy conclusion to come to. So now it's time to start getting into a little conjecture, based on the realities of being busy with two games and having a tight time table, and the established gameplay precedent.

For GHZ, there's everything you recognize, including those break away walls (you'll boost through them), bridges will be there but probably sink a little as you move across them, all the typical badniks for the zone will return, the only power up will be a shield. You can expect at least one 3D segment with racing Motobugs, I guarantee it. Loops will of course be in 2D and scripted, and so will those S-curves. Since the game isn't being released for the Wii, it has to have more inside each level, so I'm expecting the 3D segments to be as full as they were in PS3/360 Unleashed, but no new gimmicks will be found except for an occasional zipline and, hopefully, a bridge or some terrain that collapses to make you fall onto a lower tier of the level. Rails and corkscrews are also a given, but I'm wishing the corkscrews are a little more creatively lied out as they were in Sonic Advance 2. As for the zone boss, the ones in Unleashed and especially Colors didn't feel all too interactive and encouraging for the player to find their own way to manipulate and take risks to damage the boss as quickly as they wanted, so I don't have high hopes here. I want to think they wouldn't make the wrecking ball boss again since they just did that for S4:E1 last year, but I bet they will anyway, except this one will probably be bigger and have a few more tricks to it.

And that's pretty much all I've got. If anyone else has any details about GHZ that I skipped over by accident, feel free to take a whack at this question of what the game's going to have in store.

8. serpx

serpx

All I see is "Capa Nao Definitiva" :v:

Just made the comment incase it hypothetically was final.

9. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

No. Design not final doesn't mean "what if, hypothetically, this was final" it means not final. GeneOB said so himself only two pages ago. And yes, anyone should see that "nao definitive" translates to "not final".

10. serpx

serpx

When did I say design final = hypothetically final? A design that's not final could, after everyone has looked at it and given their criticisms or "okay", end up final. We can assume, as we should, that's it's not what the cover is going to look like. I was joking about the spanish comment, let's not get too serious over small stuff like this. I apologize if I somehow offended you.

11. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Not gonna argue with that as I really don't feel like going through all of it, but the loops being scripted? Why?

A lot of the loops in both Unleashed and Colors weren't fully scripted, and Sonic reacted rather properly when going through them, try getting the Unleashed demo and going through the loops without hitting the boostpads or boosting. Hell, even '06 technically had unscripted loops, but obviously you have '06's physics engine... or lack of.

I don't blame anyone for thinking they are scripted though, most loops have a boostpad right before them, which triggers a control lock, if you take the loop without hitting the boostpad or boosting you'll find that it behaves as a normal loop should, hell, the entirety of the Tropical Resort and Planet Wisp bosses are in a giant loop. Though there are other, fully scripted loops, like most of the loops in Gameland, which are easy to notice because of Sonic's jerky movement as he goes through one.

Hell, it looks like Color's engine was developed enough to know how to handle Sonic's movement in nonscripted areas that should, and are scripted, an example is the auto-run section right after the first homing attack chain in Starlight Carnival Act 1, if you do a single homing attack, then boost the rest of the way through you'll land on the auto-run area but without the auto-run and control lock on, it's a 2D area and you can move like you normally would in one, with the physics behaving as you could expect from Color's engine.

The physics in general do feel somewhat improved in Colors, as far as Sonic's controllability and momentum goes, and if it is the main Sonic Team who's working on this, and if they haven't worked on anything else since Unleashed considering that Dimps made Sonic 4 and AFAIK the storybook team made Colors then that would give them 3 years to improve on what they did with Unleashed, and I don't think that in 3 years they did or were able to do nothing about Unleashed's physics.

As far as boss predictions go, not a lot of the classic bosses lend themselves to a Unleashed-style running boss, the obvious choices would be Emerald Hill Zone's boss, because it's a buggy, Mushroom Hill Zone's boss and the last running section of the Death Egg Zone boss (S3&K).

If they put Doomsday Zone then we can take a look at Unleashed's Perfect Dark Gaia, the ring collection part feels a lot like Doomsday Zone's first ring collection section.

12. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

Oh yeah, I forgot about the details with Dimps making S4:E1 and the Storybook Team possibly making all of the Colors game themselves. You got a clean hit on me there. And maybe there could be a slight change to make the physics more like you'd recognize them to be, because Colors did make some small improvements and implemented some sections that possibly even encouraged those? Hm.

13. snow toilet

snow toilet

I huff kitty litter Member
    Anytime, USA
    Sonic Grand Prix??
    I noticed something when I saw the teaser box art to this game. This, as well as Sonic 4's title, looks as if Sonic is frowning a bit if you don't look at it closely. Sonic 4 just kind of looks like an indent that's supposed to resemble a smile.

Also, kind of wondering why no color in old school Sonics eyes?

14. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    It's Sonic 1 Sonic. Were it Jam or something, he'd have Gray/Brown eyes.

15. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I don't know if you guys forgot, but classic Sonic has always had a brown tinge to his black pupils, so this is a perfectly legitimate question. Stop acting like retards.

16. snow toilet

snow toilet

I huff kitty litter Member
    Anytime, USA
    Sonic Grand Prix??
    Being that the trailer kind of showed it to look like it's going to be Unleashed/Colors styled, with the ground slideit makes me hope that they do keep the side scrolling in it. I thought that was definitely one of the strong points of Colors. Also, old school Sonic grind railing is going to make me a happy camper. I would like to see that in this game.

I don't think Mario in SMRPG was a mute mainly because I've seen many RPG games where their main character really doesn't say one word like Crono, Cloud, Link and Squall if I'm not mistaken. It might be some kind of recurring theme in games like that.

17. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I always thought having a mute main character in an RPG was to leave more to your imagination, so you could connect better with the story and NPCs. That way you'd have more of an incentive to stick around through countless random battles and grinding, unless the battles were creative and intuitive like in several of the Mario RPGs.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I must say that, even with the questionable elements the Classic Sonic model takes from assface Sonic the old US covers, it still looks (to me) much, much better than modern Sonic when put side to side. I think it's another step in the right direction, along with Sonic Colors, after the Sonic 4 disaster.

In fact, Miyamoto himself mentioned that Link is and will always be silent because that makes the player identify better with him. Okay, except for the CDI games, but you know.

19. serpx

serpx

Please, god no SEGA. Classic Sonic never did grind railing in the classics, and believe he shouldn't start in this Generations game. I personally can't stand grind railing, and I think it's a very lame gimmick that needs to go away, ESPECIALLY the times where the grind railing is over a fat pitfall. Those are the worst.

The rails in the Advance games just felt like a forced and unnecessary add-on. SOAP is over.

20. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    ^ This.

I hate gimmicks that just try and make the game look cool, they usually play the game for you. Yes there were a couple in the classic Sonic (mostly Sonic 3), but I'd like them to be kept to a minimum, so that I can play the game.

(Well, thinking about it, the rails that you have to dash left/right on are okay)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.