don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ancara

ancara

I'm about to head to bed, but I thought of an excellent idea for something we should all do:

Each of us should take a different path in each of the acts the demo gives us, and then say what we've discovered and what's there. Basically, at any point during each act, if there's a split in the path and somebody hasn't taken it yet, do it. See if you can make it to that new path and then jot down what you find. Then post results.

I think of this only because I wanna see if we can recreate that "magical" feeling we all had years ago of finding new paths, exploring new parts of the acts, and in general that excitement that one has with trying something new and exciting. I dunno what you guys plan on doing come demo time, but I think imma be busy learning about the paths in the acts we get to explore and platform in.

Oh, and if we do get a boss battle for the demo, one of you better record it. I wanna be able to watch Sonic beat Dr. Robotnik/Eggman silly in glorious HD once the demo is done with. :v:

2. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

Livestreaming or Just uploading videos, which would be preferred?
    I use the very-expensive HD-PVR, which records in 1080p.

I can only livestream or record videos, can't do both at the same time as the quality of the stream would suffer as a result.
    So which would be in your immediate preference? I'm setting up my equipment now as I'm expecting it to drop in the next hour...

3. I'm going to set my alarm before work in hopes that this is uploaded to Xbox Live.

Hope I don't wake up early for no reason. And if I do? I'll grab some breakfast on the way. :colbert:

4. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Yeah, I can get one up without it if you're interested. Or you can go with Chimpo. :P EDIT: Or everyone else. XD

May as well ask, for those who won't have access to the demo, what do you absolutely want to see someone do in Classic Sonic's Green Hill Zone? (Things like letting go of the analog stick while spindashing off a ledge, not finishing the stage in ten seconds). I'll gladly get footage of everything I can and get back to you on it. I imagine that most of the bases are covered with the videos we've had the past couple of months but it doesn't hurt to ask.

And of course, if someone else would like to tackle such things please do go ahead. My current list is to get waiting poses, footage of how rolling works, spindash, bopping off Badniks, every route through the level I can find, uncovering Badnik animations (like that awesome Crabmeat animation in Modern GHZ), and of course, every Rank Clear pose.

EDIT: I'm going to keep my list/responses here instead of making new posts; I"m weary of the "Don't post too much" rule in Megathreads.

Ooh, lot of good stuff here I forgot about. It's noted. :)

...how'd I forget that one? Yeah, that and the "I'm Outta Here" are pretty much esssential testing for something like this. For some reason I'm not getting my hopes up for it though. :v:

5. I have an HD PVR but I'm not sure how to use it to record from my Xbox. I'll have to look into that...

I wish I could set an alarm that would ring automatically when this demo is released. I almost don't want to go to sleep tonight just in case it's released while I'm sleeping.

6. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Someone record the Classic GHZ music in high quality. I need it. NEED it.

Thanks ;)

7. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    I'd love to see both Classic and Modern Sonic's animations for all the different Ranks they get, their idle animations, I wanna see all the badniks animations when hurting you, or just moving near you. If there are invincibility and speed shoe monitors in Green Hill. Most of the big important stuff has already been answered or shown in all the other interviews and gameplay videos we've seen. What happens when you get a "Finish" for doing tricks and how many times you spam the button lol.

How many different routes there are between Classic and Modern and who has more. Does Sonic pull a Sonic CD "I'm Outta Here" how many hidden springs you can find in palmtrees and other areas. How the red and yellow springs feel and differ from each other and how close they are to the Classics. What's Sonic's hurt and dying animations look like? Kill Classic and Modern just for the hell of it to see what they look like lol.

EDIT: If possible try to get clean rips of Modern and Classic Sonic's Green Hill Zone music, Speed Shoes and Invincibility music if the monitors are in the level and Modern Sonic's boosting music beat if its much different to the regular music, kind of like how different Colours was when boosting.

8. PimpUigi

PimpUigi

------- Route Magician ------- Sonic CD Technician Member
    I heard the demo will only cover Classic Sonic.

9. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Let 10 minutes pass for Classic Sonic :v:

10. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Honestly, I've been hearing Classic only all day, then all of a sudden I'm hearing it's both, then back to just classic Sonic. I looked at the source of it and it was Destructoid saying both. No points to guess who.

Expect classic only because Destructoid has been well known for stepping on their own cranks.

11. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
  12. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    Can anyone tell me why exactly it's just Classic only? There a technical reason behind this? Would including Modern make the demo too big or what?

Potentially stupid question, I know, but humor me if you don't mind.

13. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I kept getting 6 or 7 when it came to combos.

14. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    They want people to focus on Classic's gameplay. A lot of the feedback for Modern has been that it's literally just Unleashed/Colors again, which people are more familiar with—you either love it or hate it.

With Classic, they improved a lot of things from Sonic 4 and, to me at least, it felt right. Sonic reacted exactly like I thought he would, without having to do any of the adjustments to gameplay I needed to do in Sonic 4. It honestly felt like playing Sonic 2 back on the Genesis to me.

There's a few problems with spin dashing and slopes (insert shameless plug of videos on front page here again), but they're so minor that I could honestly let them slide, but wouldn't mind seeing them touched up. I don't know if you want to call that my endorsement for the game, but that's what I felt when playing it.

I'll leave the more miniscule nitpicking to people who know the original Sonic engine far better than I do.

You get a huge overflow of boost added to your bar. It's just a temporary extension.

15. NomadTW

NomadTW

That's what I gathered, yeah. Just curious if there was a more technical reason behind it or not.

16. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Well, hopefully Sega releases a PC demo tomorrow too, but I'm not holding my hopes up for that.

Also, what the hell 40 guests :psyduck:

17. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    No idea why we have so many people viewing the thread, and it's pretty early in the morning too. Weird.

18. NomadTW

NomadTW

SEGA's watching us. :tinfoil:

19. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Because of the way most of you monkeys explode when any new news or a demo comes out, it has become a circus for some of us and the rest of the Internet. They're just waiting for the show to start.

Quite entertaining, if embarrassing.

Sup reddit and you /v/irgins out there.

20. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    How about we all agree not to post our opinions or say anything on the demo when it goes live, a nice little prank of reverse psychology. :eng101:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.