don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

Wow Sega, just wow.
    You let people play the fuck out of Generations, modern and classic.

Yet when you give us the same exact demo, you strip out probably the >better< portion of the game?

We all know Classic Sonic gets the shorter versions of the levels while Modern gets the longer piece, so why are you giving us the classic? Then why are you locking us out of it starting July 12th? It's ONE level.

I want to buy this game used now but probably won't.

edit: de-raged post. I'm just a little disappointed that Sega seems to be mistreating us and treating those that went to E3 with the better demo.

2. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

For those who want to watch, I'll be streaming Sonic Generations on Ustream in 13 hours right here:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sonic-generations

Going to start at around 2am Pacific Time or whenever the download finishes. (Should only take 4 minutes with my BETTER internet connection.) I'll also upload a video on Youtube later for those who want to watch. (Or cannot wait.) ;)

3. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    I don't understand this logic. We'll obviously get another demo before the game releases, and they didn't have to give us a demo at all. Call this a tease more than anything. The game isn't out for some time yet, they didn't have to give us anything.

4. ancara

ancara

With the demo coming out tomorrow, that means that there's a good chance that we may find some juicy stuff in it.

Let's be honest here guys: Sega knows by now our tendency towards digging into every possible item that they put out and our love for finding info in the programing and whatever else that could be inside of them. If anything, I suspect that there's gonna be something nice and big hidden for us in there once it's pried into and searched through completely.

Please search for anything regarding levels and what-not if possible. I'd both lol and gasp at the same time if info of a new level was hidden in the demo.

Oh, and with the size of the demo itself, this is just me guessing but.....what if it contains both act 1 with Classic Sonic......and the Classic boss fight?

5. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

They have a demo. People played the demo. The demo was both modern and the classic. They give us HALF that demo. Makes no sense dude.

I probably raged a little too hard there, but I was looking forward to see how they polished Unleashed's modern physics first hand.

6. Tanks

Tanks

I will be digging through the files once I can get my hands on a rip, as per the usual. Pretty sure PorygonJimu-San will be doing the same once he's back from working at MexieD's.

7. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    And you'll likely get your chance, but the way I see it, Sega want to show off their classic engine first for opportunities to be told "You did good, Sega!" or "This is the biggest pile of crud ever!"

Once that's up, I'm almost certain the demo will unlock the modern Sonic half. Same course as before until that expires, at which point, we MAY get a demo with both unlocked to tide over until launch.

Of course, this is assuming Sega will follow the logical path.

Or I could be wrong and we get an entirely separate demo for Modern Sonic in City Escape.

8. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    You're getting something for free. Shut up.

9. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Modern Sonic, the "better" portion of the game? Oh, must resist urge to be a smartass. Must... resist...

The Classic Sonic stages are the "newest" thing on offer in this game, and the thing people are most unsure of. Modern's stages are Unleashed/Colors stages, likely more refined, but you know what you're getting into. Play the Sonic Unleashed demo and you're basically playing the same general thing for the same length of time. Classic is the part that's caught the most attention and which promises to be the most specific thing: Classic-style Sonic with physics and the works. Thus it's the part they'd want to show us, the part we'd want to examine most closely, and the part both of us would want to generate constructive feedback about.

Pre-release demos of this type aren't exactly common. I say that as much as we may wish we were getting a little bit more, we should just be happy that we're getting anything.

I do expect something else for Modern Sonic somewhere down the line.

10. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Come on, guys. They did the exact same thing with the Unleashed demo, giving us the daytime stages when the nighttime stages took up the majority of the playtime. Same with '06 giving us only Sonic and same as Adventure 2: The Trial with only Sonic. There's nothing new in their approach here. Although I wish that they would give us both, they for some reason feel this is the right way to go about it. It's not, but again, nothing new there.

11. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Albeit the difference here is that this is the half that most of us care to see. When I was looking forward to the Unleashed demo, it was partly because I wanted to see if the Werehog was any good. Most of the impressions regarding the Modern side of things are quite predictable: "It's Unleashed, which is still fun" or "It's Unleashed, which still sucks." Or something a bit more neutral. And to be fair, we know a lot more about the part of the game they're leaving out of the demo this time than we did about any of that other stuff.

12. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

Oh, and I should add:

For people that don't want to be locked out of the demo, simply download it. Then only play it while logged off Xbox Live and clock your xbox's clock to before July 12th before booting up the game..

The game can't tell what date it is if you're offline; I'm purposely clocking my date to after july 12th to see if there's another level available

13. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    See, now I've heard at SSMB that some demos coming out lately can actually just count the days or something, so that no matter what console trickery one tries to play, when they want the demo locked out, it will lock out. I know I'm hoping that keeping it offline will work but I just feel like I'll be disappointed in the end, though clocking your console's date to afterwards doesn't sound like a bad idea to try for that purpose...

EDIT: Gah. Keep forgetting about the "No one sentence posts" rule.

14. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

At worst, you'll accidentally lock out your own demo and have to delete and re-download it to reset the clock. I should point out that unless they mean "twenty days after downloading," it likely won't just count the days the way you suggest, but actually depend on the date. The only way to really solidify that sort of lockout would be to force you to play it while online.

15. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    What the fuck are you getting so mad about? :psyduck:

16. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    The fact is, if the 360 isn't conected to the internet, it goes back to 2005 by default.

And talking about "default," you guys doesn't seem to graps the implications of having this demo... Two words:

Achievements . . . List

How many of us know that an achievement list and respective icons can be extracted from the default.xex of the demo?

Which means, full levels list leak... ... etc.

And just for clarification, if the demo is console locked (and it most certainly is, considering it is for Gold First Access Club Members), then forget it. It is has DRM and no matter what you try to do it will NOT work in your 360. Unless you are a Gold member and you downloaded the container yourself. Or you have a DevBox or Jtag.

About the PS3, both PSN and PSN+ content are "unlocked" (with the lack of a better term) at the time you click to download. If you download from outside the PS3, you'll still need to get online the first time you play it to activate it, otherwise it will return a 80thousandsomething error. If get online, and the server sees you are not a PSN+ member, you get the idea. No way, unless you are a Plus member. Not even with Jailbreaker or CFW. It. Won't. Work.

17. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    That kind of dashed my hopes about the demo. I thought we'd be getting both Green Hill and City Escape. Oh well. I could care less about Modern Sonic.

I'll still hold on to a little bit of hope that in twenty days, we'll get more. I can't wait to see the demo hacked to pieces!

18. Yeah, I don't get it. I'm ecstatic I get to play a demo, a demo of any kind, for a game I'm super pumped up about. Not to mention this game doesn't even come out until the holiday (November?)

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well that's pretty cool, as long as we can rip whatever we can, music, level lists, bosses, whatever. At least we'll get information, and that's always nice

20. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I will be very disappointed if that fantastic Sonic 1/2 title theme remix isn't included in the demo. Every video I've seen that has it always cuts that jingle off right at the very end or middle of it. :[

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.