don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread II

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

That's not surprising considering the nature of them, and that Generations is fairly bare bones. All the gameplay is there, there's just not a lot of it and other things are lacking greatly. Shame it was cut.

2. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    According to The Cutting Room Floor, the Orange Rocket and Pink Spike Wisps were at some point planned to also be an unlockable skill for any level, but were scrapped as such. It's a shame really, as I can imagine people having a lot of fun with those Wisps outside of Planet Wisp. :(

I also second the notion of not only having those dancing and sound test-esque animations used for music playback, but also having a full music list that's playable in game outside of playing the levels, instead of just having the unlockable music tracks.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed and still do enjoy Sonic Generations, but I wouldn't have minded and actually would have preferred it if SEGA/Sonic Team delayed the game for a short while to polish it up just that little bit more. They delayed Sonic 4 Episode I, so I don't see why they couldn't have liaised internally or whatever for a slightly later release date for Sonic Generations as well.

In the end though, when push comes to shove, what matters is that the gameplay is very well balanced and thought out. The music is fantastic, and it all looks visually stunning and highly detailed. Overall, it's a very enjoyable and replayable experience, and for that I applaud everyone involved with the game's development. One of the best Sonic games ever published in my opinion, and it sits very closely to Sonic 3 & Knuckles in my list of favourite Sonic games. :thumbsup:

3. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    Did anyone know that if you press B (and I'm guessing Circle on the PS3) while on a rail, Sonic does a little spin, akin to Heroes? I was speedrunning playing Speed Highway Act 2, slipped up and inadvertently discovered this.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yep, the useless crouch feature is still intact for whatever reason. I noticed it too, yet it doesn't really do anything.

I'm curious though, why did they decide to get rid of the crawl and kick attacks from Unleashed?

5. Because the boost, slide and jumping/homing attack are just more effective in the long run?

6. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    The lack of crawling brings some problems though. First off, it takes out the ability to slide under stuff without getting speed. Second, if you're sliding at an extremely low speed under something, things get really awkward for some seconds.

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Well uh, it was in Unleashed too so you're almost four years late. =P No idea why they got rid of crawling and the kick. Ok, granted the kick was totally useless, at least crawling made more sense than going from standing to slide.

8. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    Was it really? I had no idea. Excuse me while I feel dumb for the next ten minutes or so.

9. upg

upg

Was just playing this and thought hmm..

[​IMG]

Classic Sonic came with Classic Tails to White World, but doesn't suspect anything weird is going on until he sees himself in the mirror
    Even if he didn't come with Classic Tails, he's been sucked into a strange world outside of time and space.. Why not stop to chat with your best-friend ? (during cutscene where he meets Modern Tails)

Sonic is one seriously laid-back dude :v:

10. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    No stranger than Sonic 1's special stages!

11. upg

upg

Lol , true true

Well, he does fight killer robots, gather golden rings and chaos emeralds, and he hangs out with a two-tailed fox that can fly without breaking any bones - this could be just a regular day in the life

12. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4JuzrGFczk&feature=g-u-u
    Um indeed.

13. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gl3WmER7u8

lel

14. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
  15. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Haha, Orengefox did exactly the same thing when we first played the game, kinda glad to see someone else has triggered this bug as well =P Any idea what caused it, out of curiosity? Orenge and I have never been able to recreate it...

16. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
  17. ...Or it was nominated twice due to how people enjoyed it a lot? I sure know I enjoyed the heck out of this game, and would totally vote for it.

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    "Lots of people like something I don't. It's overrated." + - I joke I joke  

Does Sega really pay attention to the Golden Joystick Awards though?

19. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    To be blunt, Aerosol's snarky remark is accurate. So let me save you the trouble of using the term accurately and express why I think it's overrated in the one thing everyone has to praise this fucking game for: its gameplay.

The gameplay is completely overrated in the idea that even the Nomination Page for the full game reads as follows:

It however isn't inaccurate to say that Retro Sonic does exude his unique personality however much it be a total caricature of himself.... until the endgame when he starts getting way too enthusiastic about the worst skill he'll ever have before Sonic Unleashed happened. Then the game decides to slap everyone who prefers Retro Sonic in the face with "subtle" remarks and mythology gags and criticizes the people who might have been looking forward to this more due to the fact that Retro Sonic was even in the game.

However, if you want to go towards essence as in game mechanics the game is incredibly overrated in that Sonic Team still cannot figure out how to code physics for their lives nor design interesting level design (if it doesn't involve grinding for pointless Red Rings that unlock Concept Art, but then this makes the level design a total chore to bother exploring when I would have preferred well designed challenge missions to take on) to engage the player and so depends on scripting certain set pieces to do certain functions mechanically instead of with the free flowing nature found in the classics. Modern Sonic is nailed in all of his cookie cutter speedy platform glory, on the other hand.

By this standard, I consider the game overrated.

Oh, one more thing! Aerosal, Sega's paying attention to it if their Facebook Sonic the Hedgehog page has anything to say about it.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^ Personally I thought Generations had some of the best level designs in a while. Sky Sanctuary modern and classic truly shine, and IMO, classic Sky Sanctuary kicks the crap out of the one in Sonic & Knuckles. Only weak level I say would be Planet Wisp, which was made into a final level when it should have been the second to last level, followed by an Eggman base conglomerate.

Gameplay wise, not perfect for classic Sonic no, but I find the game fun as hell, so fuck it I don't care. Yep, horrible person because by enjoying the game I'm allowing Sonic Team to have low standards.