Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. LOL that's not my work at all. That is Melpontro's work. He's done hacks like Professor Pickle in Rooftop Run and Pele the Beloved Dog. I suggest subscribing to him.

2. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Not really hacking-related but I thought this could be useful for any level designers here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh-1o3BQAVQ

3. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Have you tried setting OutOfControl to 0 in the springs? It's independent on each spring though.

4. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    I actually tried once and it ended up making Green Hill not load :psyduck:

5. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    I don't know if anyone else has run into this problem, but for me it seems like as soon as I replace any of modern sonic's animations, I can no longer load levels as classic sonic. It simply crashes. Any thoughts?

6. Dario FF

Dario FF

One wild guess is that if those animations were saved with the newest Havok version it might cause some unstability as they're not exactly compatible. Have you tried resaving your animations with HCT 2.0?

7. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    yes. In fact, saving as havok 2 didn't help levels either. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

8. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    Twitch Streams
    You know, what with the geometry importing/custom stage creation, is it bad that I want to see someone eventually try and import a level from Final Fantasy XIII? I mean come on, hallways the game would be perfect for a straight line/boost zone. :V

F-Zero GX tracks are something else I'd also wanna see imported into Generations, especially Big Blue and Mute City.

And if it were possible to recreate the level gimmicks such as water-rising switches, gravity panels and the switches associated with them, light-shining mirrors and the goddamn stone water snake and its three switches, I'd love someone to import/take a shot at completely Generations-izing Lost World.

And now for a more realistic expectation: I hope somebody uses Cool Edge assets to make a proper Ice Cap stage for Generations. You could even have a snowboarding section at the start (if based on S3&K) or the end (if based on Sonic Adventure). I know there wouldn't be ice physics, but I don't care.

9. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    I have been following this project for quiet a while.

Can I get this straight. Not only have you hacked generations to create a level editor and unpacker, you have ported over unleashed levels, ported colours levels (as a proof of concept) and also started porting 06 levels.

Man I love you guys.

On topic: the progress that has been made to this is phenomenal and I can't wait to see more progress.
    This project really does have
    *puts glasses on*
    Endless Possibilities
    YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAH!

10. Dario FF

Dario FF

Yes or no? (With proper fixes to bones and materials of course)

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sure why the hell not (What's with the red face though?)

12. Dario FF

Dario FF

It's just a non-existing shader, but easily fixable. I had to do something similar to the rest of the body.

Generations vs Unleashed model:
    • Shorter in height
    • Shorter arms

It looks like it fits better in size of those stages now. Generations' is just slightly taller I think. In any case, if it does end up working fully it would be provided as an option.

13. Trunks

Trunks

AGAIN TRY Oldbie
    I love that arms crossed animation. It just screams classic to me.

14. iGamr

iGamr

I think that the animations look amazing! Are you able to fix the timing for the level start animations? I think that if you found a way to fix that (I assume changing the animation's speed would be easier than altering the time between "Ready" and "Go"), it'd be PERFECT.

15. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    Utah
    SA1/2 hax
    Although the scales may be a little off since they weren't the same size (I don't have the original Unleashed model; this was ripped out of a Gmod addon), it seems you are correct (link). (Edit: Unleashed Sonic is the textured on on the right; it's the shorter one) Ignoring the polygon count, I find the changes to be very minor to the model itself... although the polygon count in itself doesn't seem to be very major either. The shoes and hands are the only noticeable difference in terms of polygon count. Of course, there are some differences between the muzzles (in expression), but that's apparent by just looking at it ingame. But who knows; this may be a cutscene specific Unleashed model I have here.

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

FML and FU2 Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Wait. Which is the Unleashed model and which is the Generations model? Dario FF's post was kinda vague...

17. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    That is a the Cutscene model used both in Generations and Unleashed. Only real big deal is it has more edge loops pretty much. The original Unleashed model is 19k while Generations is about 16k. And the Cutscene model including all the morphers is around 80k or so.

18. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    Utah
    SA1/2 hax
    Oh derp. The one on the right in my screenshot is the Unleashed Sonic. He's shorter and what not in Unleashed.

Ah, I see. Interesting.

19. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    For those of you who don't know what settings to use in your havok exporter, I've uploaded the following templates:

http://x-hax.cultnet.net/HavokConfigurations.7z

You will need to change the export path in the 'write platform' filter. The rest is good to go though. There are two templates: level export and animation export.

20. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    [​IMG]

So I'm going to go with no? I just imported them at perfect scale and they match up perfectly in shape. In that picture I have both models overlayed, and you wouldn't even be able to tell if I bothered texturing both. The only change is they removed some edgeloops from a few places.