Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member

The fact this is even possible blows my fuckin' mind. You can now use the spindash and bounce from Sonic '06 (and even the physics from that game if you're a psychotic madman) in Generations thanks to code injection.

I've tried it out in a few levels and it's really, really cool being able to use abilities from the Adventure games - I'm surprised by how well they work in the game. Using the spindash, kick, and bounce instead of the boost, slide, and stomp makes for a really neat new way to replay Generations.

2. I'm trying to use HedgeModManager to download some stuff to play with, and it keeps failing to download the files from GameBanana. I'm having to manually download them and add them myself.

If I add a mod this way, does it copy the files to the game's mod folder or anything, so I can delete the files I'm downloading? Just would like to keep things a bit tidier, if possible.

EDIT: Also, any particular "better physics" mod you guys would recommend to go with the 3D Spindash? There's something like 8 or 9 different physics mods, and I'd really rather not have to go through all of them one at a time.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  3. Melpontro

Melpontro

Working
    If you are running a modern Nvidia GPU, it is probably the Nvidia driver bug that effects all the post-Turing GPUs. Levels converted using the old GLVL crash the game on these newer cards.

Skyth made a tool to fix this for various mods, but I'm not sure if Unleashed Project has a build with it applied yet.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Do we count a GTX 1080 as a modern GPU? I guess it does, but since it's a little older, I'm just not sure. It worked fine on my 1080 before I started using HedgeModManager.

5. Melpontro

Melpontro

Working
    The 1080 should work without issue, unless newer drivers have brought the issue to the older cards too. The Turing issues began with the 2000 series of GPUs.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/sonic-melponterations/downloads/sonic-melponterations-beta-02
    Does this crash? It was made with the same build as the custom HUD in Unleashed Project, so it should have the same issue if this is caused by the Nvidia Driver bug.

6. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Ok, so that mod works fine. I loaded in no problem. But Unleashed Project still crashed when I hit continue.

7. Melpontro

Melpontro

Working
    I would try deleting the Unleashed Project folder you have, and then redownloading it from their ModDB page. https://www.moddb.com/mods/sonic-ge...nic-generations-unleashed-project-10-released

I can’t think of any reason where Melponterations would run but Unleashed Project would crash. Let me know once you’ve tested with a fresh install of the mod and I’ll follow up with Dario if anything.

8. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Ok, a fresh install got it to work. I have to re-do my save, but it worked. Thanks for the help! Sorry for the trouble.